Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407701 times)

sgerrard

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2008, 10:19:30 pm »
A. Nope, never saw it coming. I did pick up that Kate was weary of the ordeal, but that is about it. It did change my view of Anna pretty quickly.

B. Surprised, yes, disappointed, no. I thought it was a good ending to the story (not for Anna, obviously). As story telling, it worked. That was the event that could bring the family back together, dodge the transplant question, and produce a good result for everyone else but Anna. A sacrificial lamb, in a manner of speaking.

C. Campbell? Liked him. Slick on the outside, but with a good heart, and a lot of trouble admitting it. Nice little romantic interest story to have running on the side.

I'm fine with using modern medical methods to facilitate having children; I am uncomfortable with the idea of people screening embryos for anything other than genetic diseases. I think it was a mistake for Brian and Sara to screen for a suitable donor, for instance.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2008, 01:29:46 pm »
I think that I can say "DITTO" to all of Steve's responses -- Is that considered cheating???  I don't want to get in trouble for that...   ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2008, 02:11:56 pm »
Double ditto!!!  Poor Anna really got the short end of the stick.  She was amazing using her piggy bank savings and polishing the door knobs to pay for legal fees.  I believe she was just as weary of Kate, but living in Kate shadow all the time she needed Kate to push her along.

Loved the lawyer and all of excuses for the dog.  You need the humour to break up the seriousness of the story.  The story also shows we all have battles in this life and at times nothing is truly fair. 

Steve, your are one heck of a guy!  My father use to read all the time.  My husband reads a third of a page and he's fast asleep.  A cookbook with pictures will keep his interest.  Two out of my four sons will read for pleasure when they are not in school. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2008, 02:30:08 pm »
Hi,

The Curious Incident of the Dog, by Hadden is MOST intriguing. I loved it!!!!!!!!! Be an interesting brain story and fiction/mystery.

I recently read Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth,
The Kite Runner, both terrific!!!!

I also like The Secret Life of the Bees by Sue Monk

I love the book club idea!!! Ebay is a source to get the book or Amazon. A lot of times they are used and sent via media mail the postage isn't bad, but it takes longer. I am going to pick up My Sister's Keeper.

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2008, 09:54:06 pm »
Anne Marie -

I loved Campbell's excuses too - very clever and amusing   ;D

K -   

you are not cheating, and no, you are not in trouble  ;D

Mary -

I loved The Secret Life of Bees.  I also thought The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk was quite good, but not as good as "Bees".  I read The Curious Incident of the Dog, but can't really recall if I liked it or not.  The Kite Runner was excellent.  I'll have to try Pillars of the Earth - thanks for the suggestion.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2008, 06:08:01 am »
OK...y'all read much more "with it' or "in depth" stuff than me...I guess I just read a lot of fluff!!  I am reading Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella (she wote all the Shopaholic books) and it is very funny.  My favorite book of hers is" Can You Keep a Secret?"  They are set in England and she is English so they have a bit of that humor style, but if you want to laugh, try one.  Let me know what you think!

Glad I don't have detention after school -- I am supposed to meet dave under the bleachers... :-*   :-*   :-*
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2008, 06:31:41 am »

Glad I don't have detention after school -- I am supposed to meet dave under the bleachers... :-*   :-*   :-*
K

Have fun with that  ;)

BTW, I also read my share of "fluff".

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2008, 05:14:47 pm »
Kay,

I love Sophie Kinsella.  Have you read Tilly Cooper?  Oh, I have to rack my brain for a some other names.  There's some really good Irish talent too.

By the way how are you feeling?  I was showing my cousin your blog Saturday night.  She said you look great and I agree, and your curly girlies are adorable!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2008, 06:10:05 pm »
Sounds like we have exhausted the "Keeper" story....

On to the next book? 

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kaybo

« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2008, 06:11:26 pm »
YEAH!  Another fluff head reader!!  No, I didn't know about Tilly (but I love that name!) Cooper.  I'll have to check her (?) out.

I feel pretty good -- everyday is better.  I was pretty tired yesterday, but I did a lot.  I guess I did about the same today and feel better than yesterday!  It'll just take some time...My leg hurts the worst!  I'm just glad I have no feeling on the side where they did the most work!!   ;D

We think the girlies are pretty cute too!!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2008, 08:32:32 pm »
I'm ready for the next book, unless there are still some who want to keep discussing the current one.

K, sounds like you're doing well - keep up the good work  :)

Jan

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2008, 09:42:12 pm »
I'm ready for the next book, unless there are still some who want to keep discussing the current one.

Co-queen,
Your turn to choose the book...The baton passes:-)
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2008, 09:46:51 pm »
My turn already  :o

Okay, I'm open to any and all suggestions for the next book.

Advice, please?

Jan

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2008, 05:53:32 am »
My turn already  :o

Okay, I'm open to any and all suggestions for the next book.

Advice, please?

Jan

Great...This time I think OMG should be co-queen...preparing her for her role as the next queen:-)

Thinking about book titles...  One that has some previous interest was Water for Elephants...
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2008, 06:17:53 am »
Kate -

that would be great if OMG is up for it.  I know she's currently battling some medical issues.

Jan