Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 405995 times)

OMG16

ANA Book Club?
« on: March 01, 2008, 07:46:22 pm »
So I was thinking about Oprah's book club and was wondering if anyone would like to start an ANA book club?  Maybe like 2 books a month we could all read and reflect upon.  I was thinking maybe 1 book for fun and 1 book for brain tumor issues.  This would of course be alot of fun with the group of people we have here.  Tell me what your thoughts are and what books you recommend and we can vote for our first one shortly.

Can we also create a list of books that have been helpful to others.  4 you have some great ideas on books that you have posted and there was one you recommended to me about my son before I had to have that horrible surgery the end of Jan and I can not find the name of it so if you could add this I would be most grateful.

Don I have looked for the book I saw you post on another thread and I can only find one named The brain that changes itself.  Is this the one you speak of?

I can't wait to see what all of you come up with.   ;D 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Don

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 07:57:17 pm »
 Yes it was a brain moment but it is a great book and will change the way you think about things I have always felt this as since a kid I would see cats get dinged by cars an hole up under a house for a few weeks and emerge good as new? And for those of you with vision problems rob a liquor store to get enough money to buy a Kindle reading device from Amazon as after over 7 years I am able to enjoy reading again as you can adjust the font size an amazing device and if I had my way insurance would buy them for us!

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 08:10:44 pm »
16~
I am DEFINITELY in for the "fun" book if it is fiction, but I can not finish a non-fiction book if my life depended on it!  I have tried  and tried and tried.  I have wasted so much money on books that people say are SSOOOOO good, & they are!, but I just can't get motivated to finish them.  On the other hand, give me a story (even a bad one!) and I will plow right thru that!!  i even read at stop lights!!

Let me know...
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:21:44 pm »
I'm in.  I love to read.
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Don

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 08:33:46 pm »
Well Kay its not too technical, as I know what you mean I like a fun read but the subject is dear to us and it is in plain language, I actually had to get up and go to the living room to get my copy as this group is sharp so I gotta double check and the New York times review on the cover as is follows, "The power of positive thinking finally gains scientific credibility. Mind- bending, miracle making,reality busting stuff........straddles the gap between science and self help" "The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge M.D." its a keeper if your serious about trying to get better I feel and if your the type who finds doctors annoying it will inspire you as they can only guess and as I have come to learn the end product is all up to you

matti

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 10:14:24 pm »
I am currently reading Oprah's latest pick "A New Earth" and have signed up for her online class, should be interesting.

Last year Gennysmom recommended "I had brain surgery, what's your excuse" written by Suzy Becker.  Suzy by profession is an illustrator and was diagnosed with a brain tumor (not AN) and tells a humorous, but moving account of her journey. Her illustrations are hilarious and oh so relatable.

I'd love to join in  :)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

shoegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 10:20:59 pm »
Hi Cheryl!   How are you!

I signed up for the "A New Earth" online class too.  I just got the book today and I am hoping to start reading it this evening.  The class should be interesting.  I also just finished a book called "Welcome to your crisis" by Laura Day.  Loved it! Great read.  Highly recommend it.  Read some of her other books too -she is incredible.

I am up for a book club.   :)
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

matti

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 10:26:43 pm »
Shoegirl - so good to see you back, I've missed you. Hope all is well with you and your family.

It took me several chapters before I could get into "A New Earth", I am very glad I stuck with it, it is very powerful. See you in class on Monday  ;D

Big hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jan D

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 04:54:39 pm »
I'm with you, Kaybo - fiction is the way to go.  We need a chance to escape from reality once in awhile.

Count me in on the book club if the topics don't get too "heavy".

Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 06:51:34 pm »
I am game also...

Here is the top 10 from the NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/books/bestseller/0309bestpapertradefiction.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH, by Ken Follett. (New American Library, $24.95 and $20.) Murder, arson and lust surround the building of a cathedral. 15
2  THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL, by Philippa Gregory. (Touchstone, $16.) A tale of courtly intrigue starring Henry VIII and Mary and Anne Boleyn. 5
3  NINETEEN MINUTES, by Jodi Picoult. (Washington Square, $15.) The aftermath of a high-school shooting reveals the fault lines in a small New Hampshire town. 3
4  WATER FOR ELEPHANTS, by Sara Gruen. (Algonquin, $13.95.) A young man — and an elephant — save a Depression-era circus. 25
5  THE KITE RUNNER, by Khaled Hosseini. (Riverhead, $15.95 and $14.) An Afghan-American returns to Kabul to learn how a childhood friend has fared. 25
6  ATONEMENT, by Ian McEwan. (Anchor, $14.95.) A chronicle of the disintegration of an English family’s idyllic life. 15
7  * THE FRIDAY NIGHT KNITTING CLUB, by Kate Jacobs. (Berkley, $14.) A group of women meet weekly at a New York City yarn shop. 8
8  THE 6TH TARGET, by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. (Grand Central, $14.99.) Detective Lindsay Boxer and the Women’s Murder Club investigate the disappearance of several children in San Francisco. 7
9  THE MEMORY KEEPER’S DAUGHTER, by Kim Edwards. (Penguin, $14.) A doctor’s decision to secretly send his newborn daughter, who has Down syndrome, to an institution haunts everyone involved. 25
10  THE DOUBLE BIND, by Chris Bohjalian. (Vintage, $14.95.) A young woman who works at a homeless shelter struggles to understand the mysterious photographs taken by a recently deceased resident.

31. MY SISTER'S KEEPER, by Jodi Picoult (Washington Square) Note: It is still on the list at #31.  It is really good and has an unpredictable twist.

Hardcover Fiction NY Times List

HARDCOVER FICTION
Top 5 at a Glance
1. THE APPEAL, by John Grisham
2. STRANGERS IN DEATH, by J. D. Robb
3. 7TH HEAVEN, by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro
4. LADY KILLER, by Lisa Scottoline
5. DUMA KEY, by Stephen King

Complete Hardcover Fiction List »

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/bestseller/index.html

Kate
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 07:07:25 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Don

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 08:49:03 pm »
 I loved water for Elephants great fun to read a little before my time but my Mother who will be 80 this year , said it was very accurate I still remember the carnivals and el cheapo circuses in So Cal in the 50's and 60's kids today dont know what they are missing! Moth eaten lions ratty rides perverts you name it and the FOOD there will never be food like that on the planet again I remember my friend and I poisoned the Carp at the Los Angeles county fair feeding em greasy buttered popcorn? It actually left a rainbow colored slick on the surface of the pond!

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 10:35:59 pm »
Water for Elephants sounds like a good pick. I can tell you that The Kite Runner is good, but a bit grim. I have also read Atonement, a good literary novel if you like that sort of thing.

I am quite amused to see #7: The Friday Night Knitting Club - a group of women meet weekly at a New Your City yarn shop. Yawn. Am I missing something? Actually I bet it is really good, like that movie about a barber shop, with lots of interesting stories being told...

Don, I think back in the 60's kids at school could live an entire year eating nothing but Twinkies. People's nutritional needs were lower back then.  ;)

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Don

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 03:22:14 am »
 Man I had forgotten about them things they were gross to me I liked the cup cakes better with the little white squiggle on top and mystery frosting like those Moon pies that could bask in 100 degree plus temps in vending machines and not melt? No wonder we grew tumors we were eating Hazmat?

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 07:55:49 am »
Steve~I am definitely NOT a knitter, but that one looked good to me -- probably just interested me in what they could write a WHOLE book about?  I'll go for anything - just not non-fiction!!   ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 08:33:59 am »
My one-year follow-up MR fell apart at the seams.  It was taking so long for my neurosurgeon to get back to me (3 months) regarding my one-year MR follow-up post surgery!  Starting with the facility where the MR was done by not sending the films to my doctor, to my doctor not alerting me to this fact, eventhough he had the report that said my tumor has returned (I had the report too and was scared silly).  After numerous phone calls to his very non-caring, unhelpful assistant I emailed my surgeon one evening out of frustration (I was curt and to the point) and finally received, within one hour, a very angry response with no diagnosis yet telling me he's passing this on to my neurotologist and he would not respond if I emailed him again!  Seems he was "picking up his toys and going home" boo hoo.  Another Day In The Frontal Lobe, Dr. Katrina Firlik, is an interesting look into neurosurgery, neurosurgeons and their "quirkyness".  I read to educate myself on what these people are all about.  Thought it would give me some insight as to why my neurosurgeon became so distant and beligerant.  Of course my neurotologist was extremely apologetic and had "words" with this doctor afterwards.  Hope he doesn't do that again to anyone else!  This book spoke volumes about his attitude!  Funny how I was thinking it was all my fault and I should've been more patient and courteous?! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear