Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407591 times)

JerseyGirl2

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1620 on: October 14, 2010, 06:59:59 pm »
P.S.  Have I ever mentioned what my sons names are?  Stewart & Brent...must have been my subconscious, wasn't done intentionally, I assure you...

Cindy,

The Tarleton Twins!!!  :) Those are great names. My daughter, a Jersey girl with a southern heritage, named her first car "Vivian Volvo," in honor of Vivian Leigh, when she was an undergrad at Emory in Atlanta, and her next car "Scarlett."

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1621 on: October 14, 2010, 07:24:57 pm »
and her next car "Scarlett."

Was it a red car?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #1622 on: October 14, 2010, 07:45:44 pm »
Was it a red car?

No, it was gray ... so the derivation of the name required some explaining!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1623 on: October 14, 2010, 08:33:33 pm »
Isn't it funny that we name cars? I had a white Toyota Tercel named "Pearl," and now I drive a green Subaru Forester LLBean model named "Sprout" since it is a Green Bean.

Sara

Oops, I just realized we are straying off topic here. Did I mention that I drive my car to the library every week to pick up some new books to read?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:07:48 pm by saralynn143 »
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #1624 on: October 23, 2010, 07:31:43 am »
funny, sara!!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1625 on: October 23, 2010, 04:46:18 pm »
Well, as long as we're reporting on our GWTW "connections" I just had to chime in and tell you all that my new boss's name is Ashley.

Actually Ashley is his middle name - his first is James - but he goes by Ashley. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1626 on: November 07, 2010, 10:57:49 am »
Finished the second "Girl" book Friday night and just had to run out yesterday to buy the next one.

Unfortunately it's not available in paperback yet - at least not around here - so I had to pay a little more than I would have liked for the hardcover.  Walmart had it for $19.34 and Target had it for $18 - I was hoping to find it for under $10 but no luck  :(  Thought about waiting a while for the paperback version, but I loved book #2 so much that I decided I just couldn't wait.

Also purchased a book called "A Reliable Wife" which was on the NY Times Bestseller list at some point.  It sounds very interesting to me.  Will let you know what I think.  I plan to read it after the final "Girl" book.

Anyone else read anything good lately?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1627 on: November 07, 2010, 12:41:14 pm »
Jan, my book club read A Reliable Wife last year.  There are some very strong-willed characters in it, but it has a great ending. Most people really liked it.  I had a harder time liking the characters, but that is a quirk of mine.  If I can't identify in some way w/them, I have a hard time w/the book.  I just saw the movie Mao's Last Dancer and loved it, so I am thinking about reading the book.  Have anyone read any of the Louise Penny mysteries?  If you like mysteries, these are great! They mostly take place in a tiny little village called Three Pines, near Quebec.  Great plots and memorable characters.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1628 on: November 07, 2010, 04:53:00 pm »
No time to read these days . . . redoing kitchen and bath, both of which have turned into tremendous domino projects. Also bb is underway, LB is on one of the two freshman teams but does not know which one yet. Her second home game is on her birthday, so i am going to invite everyone we know to sing Happy Birthday from the bleachers and generally embarrass her as much as humanly possible.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Lizard

« Reply #1629 on: November 07, 2010, 05:45:00 pm »
Finished the second "Girl" book Friday night and just had to run out yesterday to buy the next one.

Unfortunately it's not available in paperback yet - at least not around here - so I had to pay a little more than I would have liked for the hardcover.  Walmart had it for $19.34 and Target had it for $18 - I was hoping to find it for under $10 but no luck  :(  Thought about waiting a while for the paperback version, but I loved book #2 so much that I decided I just couldn't wait.

Also purchased a book called "A Reliable Wife" which was on the NY Times Bestseller list at some point.  It sounds very interesting to me.  Will let you know what I think.  I plan to read it after the final "Girl" book.

Anyone else read anything good lately?

Jan

Jan,
The third book only came out a few months ago so I'm figuring it won't be out on paperback for a while.  Again the beginning is a little slow, but I LOVE how everything comes together!!!!  Can't wait to see what you think.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1630 on: November 09, 2010, 02:08:50 pm »
I have been reading books for school ... one is a collection of stories Escape: Children of th Holocaust ... it is about kids who survived the Holocaust and is a bit depressing ... aimed at 5th through 7th grade ...I guess should be uplifting as they survived to become productive citizens of the world ... but the cruelty that people can visit on other people is just unbelievable

now reading Elephant Run a historical fiction set in world war 2 , about a privileged boy that is sent to the relative safety of his fathers teak plantation in Burma only to have the Japanese over run it taking his father hostage and leaving him to become a servant of the new powers ... just starting it so not sure what I think about it

next is the novel Flipped which the movie of same name is based on ... haven't seen the movie which is a good thing as I never find the movie as good as the book

many of the books that we got in Book Fair are to do with ghosts or supernatural beings ...werewolves , monsters , vampire , zombies etc etc ... some told to be scary and  others just seem silly scary ...and some a bit dark ...one is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice with zombies titled Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Dawn of the Dreadfuls   ... it just seemed a bit odd to me ... a trend I guess ...

have finished A Dog's Purpose which is a story told through the eyes  of a dog who is reincarnated  ... first life he is a stray , second a loved companion to a boy and third as a police dog his last life as a lab that is bought as a gift that is passed to the mother of the girls he was given to ...this turns out to be a bad situation  ... each life teaches the dog something new ... how to survive , how to love unconditionally , how to care about others  etc ...each life he carried something he learned to the next ... his last life is as a lab and he is born confused at being born again ... he can't imagine another life without the owners he has known and lands with a family that is dysfunctional and he is neglected then dumped on the side of a road  when the man decides he has had enough of a dog he didn't want to start with ... but a surprise ending brings the story full circle and he is loved again and where he should be ...

kinda answers the question why are we here ? just from a dogs perspective ... so far of the 10 or so books I have to read it has been the best ...

I figure I have about 2 weeks of reading for school before I get back to reading for myself ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1631 on: November 09, 2010, 04:33:57 pm »
...one is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice with zombies titled Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Dawn of the Dreadfuls   ... it just seemed a bit odd to me ... a trend I guess ...

I read those books. I am a Jane Austen fan and our family has many running jokes about zombies as my son is very interested in them. The books are very clever but the initial charm wears off after a while and I began to look forward to the book ending. I couldn't get into Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters at all, though.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1632 on: November 14, 2010, 10:02:18 pm »
Loved the 3rd "girl" book - finished it very late last night.  I highly recommend it and will willing lend my copy to anyone who wants to read it.  IMO it was well worth the cost of the hardcover version.

I heard somewhere that although the author, Steig Larssen, passed away he had completed a 4th book that will eventually be published.  I wonder if this is true as I'd love to see what happens to Salander and Blomkvist.

Slept in and then spent a few hours reading another book called "Promise Me" cover to cover. 

Not my usual type of book - kind of an unbelievable story - but it was interesting reading.  And a nice alternative to the kind of things I normally read.

Plan to start A Reliable Wife tonight.

Jan

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1633 on: November 14, 2010, 10:10:14 pm »

He didn't complete the fourth book, and first reports were that it would not be completed.  Then I heard that the family and longtime girlfriend have different ideas about that  I think the girlfriend has the book...family wants it.  I was happy with the way the third one ended, weren't you?  I was afraid things would be very unfinished, but it was actually quite tidy.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #1634 on: November 15, 2010, 12:48:50 pm »
Its on my Christmas wish list.  I can't wait to read the third book.
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games