Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407745 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1560 on: August 25, 2010, 12:54:54 pm »
Liz ... Art of Racing In The Rain was good but sad ... worth the read

Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a hard one to read and movie real hard to watch ... the year before last , they had 6th graders read the book and  they showed the movie to the 5th graders ... so many got upset and had alot of parent complaints , that they have moved it up to 7th and 8th grade ... it is good for what it is and kids need to know the horrors of past wars ... just need the teachers to do more pre reading / viewing  to get a feel for age appropriateness of material they present ... this is why me and a few others read for teachers ... to give parent prospective and we can try out books on our kids
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Lizard

« Reply #1561 on: August 25, 2010, 02:13:46 pm »

yes I know the dog reflects on his life during his last days, but I like emotional books and supposedly this one is supposed to make you laugh and cry.
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Kaybo

« Reply #1562 on: August 25, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »
Jan~
I have found that books are cheaper at B & N than Walmart or Target IF you have a B & N card so I went to B & N...HOWEVER, when they are 1st released they are usually on sale at those two stores.  Learned my lesson, a couple of dollars cheaper this week at Target...
Just a helpful tip...

K    ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1563 on: August 25, 2010, 06:40:53 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Kay.

Looked at Walmart this afternoon, but they didn't have the book - probably too new for them.

I don't have a B&N card, but I'lll check Target this weekend.  If Target doesn't have it, I'll order from Amazon.com

I can usually find a lot of books there so I get free shipping on my orders - and it saves me from running all over town shopping.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #1564 on: August 26, 2010, 12:01:26 pm »
Cindy,

I would venture to say there is going to be another book, so many lose ends.  At least all of her other stories tied things up a bit.  In my opinion the ending was too rushed considering how she detailed so much prior.  I feel like I've hit a brick wall, there is no sense of any completion.  I'm not happy about it.

Soundy,

I can mail the book to you.

I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible.  Has anyone read it?  It has been around for awhile.

Anne Marie   
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1565 on: August 27, 2010, 04:15:17 pm »
After changing my mind several times, I did finally check out The Hunger Games and Catching Fire from the library and read both of them.  The Hunger Games definitely had more details of scenes than Catching Fire did.  Guess I will probably check out Mockingjay and read it to complete the trilogy.  They are actually a fairly quick read.

I read The Poisonwood Bible many years ago and was very upset after reading it ..... embarrassed and disappointed that it was too true.

Trying to find the time to finish Three Cups of Tea (a very fascinating book).

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1566 on: August 27, 2010, 08:36:41 pm »
Found Mockingjay this evening at Walmart - the same one that didn't have it earlier in the week.  Paid $12.59, which I thought was a very good price.  Supposedly it retails for $17.99

Since I'm only a few pages into the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I'm going to put it on hold for now and start Mockingjay.   Like Clarice, I find the Hunger Games books to be fairly quick reads.

Clarice -

I found Three Cups of Tea fascinating too.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

« Reply #1567 on: August 28, 2010, 08:28:55 am »

yes I know the dog reflects on his life during his last days, but I like emotional books and supposedly this one is supposed to make you laugh and cry.

have you you read Marly and Me ???
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #1568 on: August 28, 2010, 08:49:08 am »
my pre-ordered Mocking jay is suppose to be here Wednesday , Teacher finished Hornets Nest and I got it yesterday

Thanks for offer Anne Marie but husband won $50 on lottery and gave it to me for "the heck of it money" ... have an eye appointment for Hannah next week and will pick up Echo then ... called Books A Million that is on the way to Huntsville and had them put back a paper back copy

Our school secretary assistant quit her half day job with us and went full time at another school ... she was always in charge or organizing the book fair and ran it , hiring some of us for workers to run it and we get paid in books ... Librarian asked if myself and the PTO treasurer could get it together ... we will get paid in books for days decorating and every day book fair runs ... this may seem trivial but I was worried about Book fair due to financial woes and the girls love books ... now that worry has been taken away ...

we are also collecting used books to sell to the kids who don't have money to buy books ... they come in with 50c to a dollar and leave with a book marker and pencil ... and sad faces ... I have about 50 books here to donate and we have about 20 people that are collecting good used books ... going to set up a table and mark them 25c -$1 and put books in these kids hands ... this is a new thing but a needed thing ... would just give them to the kids but that sets up a give me attitude and we have to many that just expect stuff handed to them ... this way they kind of learn that they need to pay their way and at same time get a book ...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 08:55:41 am by Soundy »
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1569 on: August 28, 2010, 12:46:00 pm »
My daughter went to the library to pick up Mockingjay for me. Hopefully she will be home soon and is not holed up in a corner reading it herself.

Soundy, I read Marley and Me. I ended up upset with the author at several times during the story. I think they treated that dog carelessly, and then ended up profiting from it.

I like what you are doing at book fair. Great idea.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1570 on: August 29, 2010, 05:20:28 pm »
I read Mockingjay yesterday and my eldest daughter read it today. Middle daughter and son are both in line to read it before it goes back to the library. I don't want to say much since I know many haven't yet read it, just that I predicted two things correctly but was very much surprised by something else. The plot moves quickly and kept my interest, that's for sure.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1571 on: August 29, 2010, 05:28:53 pm »
Sara .....

Even though the Hunger Games books are quick reads, I am awed that you completed it in one day.  I simply could not sit for that long and keep my eyes focused to read like that.  I have a good bit of nystagmus still (or again) and that makes focusing my eyes more tiring.

..... must get to the library tomorrow and see if Mockingjay is available.  The reviews on its release date were not encouraging.  Now I am curious as to what surprised you.  Hmmmmmmm.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #1572 on: August 29, 2010, 07:36:01 pm »
At the very end of Mockingjay (seems like my time is very compromised these days - mainly driving) - hopefully will finish tomorrow...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1573 on: August 29, 2010, 09:07:32 pm »
Am 3/4 of the way done with Mockingjay myself.

I'm hopeful I'll finish it tonight, but have a very early morning tomorrow, so we'll see.

Am anxious to see how it all ends.

Jan

cindyj

« Reply #1574 on: August 30, 2010, 05:59:27 am »
I should finish Catching Fire today and will try to get Mockingjay tomorrow...yes, they are very quick reads.  I'll try not to come back and look in here til I finish it in case you guys talk about it :)  I'm actually sort of surprised it keeps holding my interest, but it does!  Now I will have to finish the series just to see how it ends.

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings