Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407653 times)

Kaybo

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1515 on: June 28, 2010, 12:01:03 pm »
I call them MOM reads - b/c the only time I get to read is quick pick up here and there...like in the car pool line... ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1516 on: June 28, 2010, 10:42:20 pm »
Reading multiple books is a talent.  I don't possess it, but my mother does. 

I don't know a lot about Skinny Chicks - just read an article about it in a magazine that someone left @ the gym.  Supposedly it's full of eating suggestions - which sound fairly logical from what I read - and recipes that sound pretty easy to make.  Thought I'd buy it and see what it's all about.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #1517 on: July 02, 2010, 01:08:17 pm »
i'm waaaay behind on the book club stuff. i'll be traveling a bit next month, wow, i mean later this month. i'll go through and look and see what y'all like and try to get some of the books to read.
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1518 on: July 04, 2010, 09:39:05 am »
I just finished The Bookseller of Kabul.  Definitely some interesting stuff in it, but nothing to write home about.

Still haven't ordered those books from Amazon.  Just not enough hours in the day  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #1519 on: July 04, 2010, 10:51:55 am »
I have been reading more since I got my NOOK last December  (that is Barnes and Noble's answer to the Kindle).  I love it and the best part is, I can hear about a great book and go look it up on the NOOK and download a "sample".  It gives me a free chunk of the book to decide if I like it and if I want to purchase it.  If I want to purchase it, all I have to do is push a button.  The books are inexpensive.  If someone else has a NOOK that I know, we can lend books back and forth like a library.  This is all especially terrific when I travel, as I no longer have to carry heavy books with me.  So any books all of you suggest, I will definitely go check them out with an overview or a sample. I am just finishing Stieg Larsson's third and final book, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.  It's really great, but I liked the first two better.

~Dale~
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1520 on: July 05, 2010, 09:13:28 am »
I finshed The Help Saturday ... just got into it an ignored the world as best I could and got it done ... it was hard to read about things that went on ... the way te privaliged treated others even their own when they stpped out of line ... won't say anymore until discussion is opened

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kaybo

« Reply #1521 on: July 09, 2010, 12:08:20 am »
Just finished The Help - who all is reading/discussing this one??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #1522 on: July 09, 2010, 06:21:39 am »
I'm in, though it's been awhile since I read it...

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #1523 on: July 09, 2010, 07:54:20 am »
My 1st question (which won't give anything away) is: how did YOU pronounce Aibileen?

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #1524 on: July 09, 2010, 08:16:19 am »
I was rereading a book of Christmas stories a man compiled that influenced his life ... kinda a spiritual journey of his ... the book is Follow That Star by T.D. Jakes ...

I came across this that he wrote at the end of the first story and wanted to share it's message

When in doubt look up ; when in trouble look within; when in darkness, always , always follow the Star .

In his book he refers to Jesus  as the Star ... I am not super religious and have been described by friends as "spiritual" and a few say I have Pagan tendencies ... I have a special tree that offers me comfort when I sit under it and think about things that are bothering me ...it grounds me and connects me to something ...I don't talk to my tree although he does have a name  :D ... and evidently having a pet tree makes me pagan in some peoples eyes ... I believe in a higher power and think someone put us here ...I believe in God ...  just have falling away from organized church ...

this quote talks to me ... it focus me on a path like my tree does ... I get down but who doesn't ... I haven't read the book in a year or two and had forgot the quote ...used to have it stuck to my fridge ... gonna retype it ans stick it up

OK...so much for that ...just wanted to share ...ready to discuss The Help when others are ...have forgotten who was reading
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #1525 on: July 09, 2010, 08:38:21 am »
My 1st question (which won't give anything away) is: how did YOU pronounce Aibileen?

K

I just renamed her Abby all the time ... I do that sometime when I get a name of a person or place in a book  that I trip over saying outloud ... when I got to her name my eyes saw Aibileen but my brain just read Abby ...

I am looking and thinking Ay ble een ...rhyming with Maybelline from Chuck Berry fame ...or maybe it was a misspelling of Abeline and just became Aibileen ..

now can you  tell me how to pronounce my great grandmothers name ... Abinnaletha  ;D ...
she became Abby to some and Letha to others ... I preferred Abby ...Letha always made me think of the  word lethal

Translab July 2 ,2007

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1526 on: July 09, 2010, 11:53:26 am »
I'm in for discussion on The Help, although I read it a while back and have since loaned my copy to my daughter-in-law.

I, also, pronounced Aibileen, Ay ble een.  ..... and I will not even venture a guess on Abinnaletha ..... :-\ , although I presume the primary accent would be on bin, secondary on le  :-\ :-\ .

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #1527 on: July 11, 2010, 01:50:53 pm »
I finished reading The Girl With The Red Dragon Tattoo last week.  The very beginning was difficult for me to get into, but once I passed what I considered to be very dry, boring and a tad hard to follow the story really came to life.  All in all it was a great read.  I bought the second book in the trilogy series The Girl Who Plays With Fire at Costco the other day.  I also bought The Echo In The Bones which I have started and I'm savouring it.  It is the last of the Outlander series.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Soundy

« Reply #1528 on: July 11, 2010, 02:34:40 pm »
I pulled out the Outlanders series with intentions of re-reading them and never started ... need to get the last one ordered and then start them ... I have read them a couple times and can enjoy them over and over ...

been trying to read The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton ...came out of Big Lots bargain bin of 4 for $1 books  ... it bounces through different time periods starting with a little girl about 4 years old  left on a dock in Australia in 1913 ... the dock master and his wife decide to just keep her when she isn't claimed right off and  they even move to keep her kind of hidden and raise as their own ...on her 21st b'day her dad tells her and her world kinda falls apart  ... and then skips to her passing away and her granddaughters search to find her grand mothers roots ...and all that and only about 100 pages in ... was trying to read last night to chase headache but didn't work ...

some one told me to read The Girls With The Red Dragon Tattoo ...I got  it but never could get into it ...since you had same problem I guess I will dust it off and have another go ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1529 on: July 11, 2010, 05:17:28 pm »
You have to get past all the Swedish financial stuff in the beginning.  It does get better, especially once you meet "the girl." I have the third one on my MP3 player to listen to when we are traveling.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.