Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407645 times)

cindyj

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1485 on: May 24, 2010, 08:46:17 am »
She is better - thanks everyone.  I think that they are taking the "we are not taking anything to Houston that we don't need" a little too seriously!!  I didn't mean body parts...tonsils, appendix, etc!! ::)

K   ;D

Too, funny, Kaybo!  Glad she's doing ok now...hope everything else goes smoothly for you for awhile now!

Cindy

PS - ready for Hunger discusson whenever...
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1486 on: May 27, 2010, 10:45:13 am »
Looks like a number of people are ready for The Hunger Games. How about setting a discussion date for next Tuesday, June 1?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1487 on: June 01, 2010, 08:00:13 am »
I'm hoping that by now Emee is back to 100%.

Looking back, Wwoodian recommended The Hunger Games followed by a second from Kaybo.

Would either of you like to kick off the discussion?

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #1488 on: June 01, 2010, 07:25:34 pm »
Emee is great - we go to the surgeon tomorrow.  Yesterday she came in & said that she was feeling "all better now"...

I have really kind of got a LOT going on right now so I don't want y'all to depend on me - I will try to chime in on the discussion but we are listing the house this week so all of my procrastination has had to come to an end and I HAVE TO GET THIS HOUSE READY TO GO ON THE MARKET!!!  :o   :o 

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1489 on: June 08, 2010, 06:47:12 pm »
HIJACK ALERT!!!  (well, really just a small hijack)

Still have to order the 2nd Hunger Games book.

Just finished The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.  Never read it before but purchased it a few years ago when it was on Oprah's book club list.

Was sorely disappointed in it.  Was it just me?  Anyone else read it?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1490 on: June 08, 2010, 08:02:40 pm »
HIJACK ALERT!!!  (well, really just a small hijack)

Still have to order the 2nd Hunger Games book.

Just finished The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.  Never read it before but purchased it a few years ago when it was on Oprah's book club list.

Was sorely disappointed in it.  Was it just me?  Anyone else read it?

Jan

How is this a hijack? It's about a book, isn't it?

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1491 on: June 08, 2010, 10:14:49 pm »
Saralynn -

it is about a book, but it isn't about the book you are currently discussing. 

Therefore I labeled it a "small hijack".  Maybe it's really a detour  ???

Anyway, back to my question.  Did you read the book?  And if so, what did you think of it?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1492 on: June 09, 2010, 05:34:03 am »
No, but I love a good suggestion! Hijack or detour at will.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

cindyj

« Reply #1493 on: June 09, 2010, 09:03:22 am »
If that was a hijack, small or otherwise, then I've been guilty of it here many times as I'm always mentioning books other than the current one being read ::)  I'm with Sara, always open to good suggestions for books.  In fact, just heard about a good author this morning at Curves - Lee Child, specifically was told about his latest one, 61 Hours, but was told all of his books are great.

But, to answer your question  :), Jan, no I haven't read The Heart is Lonely Hunter.  Guess I won't since you don't sound like you're recommending it...

How about Hunger Games, do we have any discussion questions?  I'm not good with coming up with the thought provoking ones you guys are good at coming up with.  But, how did you guys like it?  I'm feeling "guilty" about enjoying a book with such a horrible subject matter, but I really did like it.  I described the gist of it to my sis-n-law the other day and she was horrified...said she would not have read it...but, it was done so well, that it worked for me.  Definitely don't think I would want to see it on the big screen in a movie form, however.  That would, no doubt, be too much.  I don't have the 2nd one yet, but do plan to read it at some point.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #1494 on: June 09, 2010, 11:40:35 am »
I have read both Hunger Games and the 2nd one and LOVED them both!  I agree with Cindy, though, I would have never picked it on my own.  I passed it on to my Mom - can't wait to see what she says - definitely not what I usually give her.  The thing I kept thinking was that they made this a SCHOOL WIDE book at Addi's school (sold it for $5) & encouraged every child to read it.  Addi LOVED it (she was in 6th grade), but what does that say about our kids?  Is it just gruesome and out there enough that it seems unreachable??  I don't know if I would have let her read it if I had read it 1st; however, my SIL recommended it for her...

K   ???
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1495 on: June 09, 2010, 12:12:29 pm »
I thought Hunger Games was great...and a thought provoking book for tweens and teens. In fact, we are discussing it at my book club tonight. One of my moms at school, the mom of the student who gave me the Twilight and Hunger Games books, asked me about her daughter reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  I hope she could tell from my horrified expression what I thought about it!  I loved the book, but it is NOT a YA book!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1496 on: June 10, 2010, 03:35:48 pm »
Had an unexpected chance to do a great deal of reading this week while my husband has been in the hospital. Brought along "The Hunger Games" and finished it today.   Very interesting comparisons between the lives of the "haves" and the "have nots," "controllers" and "controlled," "adults" and "young people," etc.   I don't think I could go so far to say I loved it, but it was worth the read. Not sure all of the violence was necessary for the overall effect. What did the rest of you think?

I already read "The Help." It was excellent!  Now to try to finish reading "Three Cups of Tea."

Clarice
(This is hard to do on my phone! :-))
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1497 on: June 11, 2010, 10:12:24 am »
can't say I loved Hunger Games ...I was not far into it when I was reminded of a movie that I saw at school in 3rd or 4th grade ...We were in Los Angeles ... would have been 70 or 71 ...times were weird there to say the least ...especially to a child fresh out of the woods of Alaska where bears were less scary than some of the people we ran into

the movie was The Lottery from a short story by Shirley Jackson and I don‘t think it was more than an half hour long …it was only one reel of film and not a real big reel (remember the good old days of school movies on reels and the flip flip noise of the projector) ... can't remember all the details as it has been a few (many  ;D ) years ago but for whatever reason a lottery is held to insure good crops ..it is a small town and a family is picked in the first draw as “the family” and then in the family draw a person is chosen as the winner or rather loser …this person is stoned to death and in the movie it is a woman ...last scene shows her crying saying it isn’t fair and then her son’s back and someone putting a rock in his hand ...leading up to the stoning the kids are the ones that have to gather the stones for the actual stoning

I cannot tell you how long I had nightmares from this movie ... it was shown to us after talks about birth control and drugs and right after we had a city wide vote allowing girls to wear pants to school ... up until then we were required to wear dresses or skirts ... not sure how it came about that we would be shown the movie but to me it was an inappropriate film for 3rd and 4th graders …one teacher told us that it was to show us what could happen if we were “Bad Girls” and had babies … I was a naïve child and didn‘t  know what she was talking about …and even though it was a very crazy time in the area I bet most of my classmates didn‘t know what she was talking about either …I think it was too young to be talking birth control to us at school but the birth control pill was new and big news … and why were us girls singled out??? …why didn‘t she say this is what could be in our future if we were bad girls and boys ??? ... I was at Limerick Elementary in Canoga Park ...

Hunger Games left me with the same feeling …is this appropriate for young readers where there is already so much violence in our society ???…my sons were at Richland School in Lynnville TN when Jamie Rouse came in one morning killing a student and a teacher and wounding another teacher …last fall we had two boys in this county that went in and killed a mom and her 2 sons over the woman’s oldest son dating one of the killers ex girl friends … I know a book , or song or movie is not going to be the total cause of a child going out and carrying out an act of murder but feel it can contribute … after we were shown The Lottery we had a few weeks of more playground fights …many involving rock throwing …

The tone of the book through the main character is that she thinks that the Games are wrong but she does what she has to do to survive … then you have the Gamers (my renaming ) or those in control who seem to think that this is good recreation and that they have the right to continuing punishing those who they want to keep down so they don’t move down on the social totem pole … they are above most people and use the games like a big board game … but the game pieces are living beings who feel pain and die … and then in comes the question of government control …

The hunger Game series are not books I would normally read and not sure I want my kids reading them … another that falls into this category is one my girls have read at school and scared my youngest who will be a 6th grader this fall is Lois Lowery’s The Giver … as they were reading it (assigned) and I read along , I was remembering The Lottery  and the fear it instilled in my little brain …The Giver was read in 4th grade and is being re-read in 7th grade now since the language arts teacher for 7th and 8th grade , read and loved the book …

I am not for censorship in school reading , but maybe caution would be the best word … and I think that on controversial books that parents should be able to say I don’t want my child reading this … but I also realize that little Johnny who can’t read it because Mom said NO  will borrow Fred’s copy and read it anyway … not all kids but most would go this route …this according to county wide survey of 6th through 12 graders in the county … and I am sure that nation wide similar results would prevail

as someone said … the books are thought provoking … I want to read the 3rd to see how it all ends or if things are turned around … will government be over thrown and a kinder gentler time period follow ?? We will have to wait until August to find out
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1498 on: June 12, 2010, 11:48:41 am »
Soundy .....

I had the same reaction when I started reading "The Hunger Games" ..... it had so many of the same futuristic (impossible by today's standards) twists and turns as both The Giver and The Lottery.  Also, the same flavor as "Harrison Bergeron," the short story from Kurt Vonnegut's "Welcome to the Monkey House."  I cannot say this style is a favorite of mine ..... rather difficult reading for me because I feel too much sorrow (stress, maybe??) for the victims, even though I knew it was fiction.  Too much of a softy, maybe ..... or maybe do not enjoy thinking about the adverse things in life.

Did anyone else have this same reaction?  I know several of you said you really liked the book.

Really anxious for you to read "The Help," which deals with a real life atrocious period in some of our lives.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1499 on: June 12, 2010, 01:32:31 pm »
It's funny how books can affect the reader.  Some were saddened by the violence and tone of Hunger Games, and I was, in turn, made furious by the injustice in The Help.  I had to read it in short sections because it brought back so many unhappy memories of the small tobacco town I lived in during the 60's. I want to read something light and funny now!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.