Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407650 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1380 on: March 31, 2010, 08:45:18 am »
Picked up a nasty cold from the grandkids so didn't feel like reading for several days.  Better now, but with all of the activities of Holy Week, I may not read much until Sunday afternoon.  Actually I may read Saturday evening when I am a basketball widow.   :D  OK, don't come down too hard on me for not being a huge sports fan like my husband!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #1381 on: March 31, 2010, 11:05:06 am »
Soundy, Do you have a blog?            I bet you would have a well read one if did as I enjoy reading your posts about life in Tenn.   The country aspect would be very interesting to many.       I am in the country too so know about what you talk about but many city people may not as much.          We are only acreage so not farmers but many of our friends are and my husband is chore person for several.  That is not at the moment with the mending broken hip but bet will be back to it in time.   He goes back to dr next Mon and we will see if can be allowed to walk on his own again.              He is now back to work this week but only in office of small grain elevator and says he is taking it easy.    I just hope so!                           Just wish the health issues weren't what you also have to talk about!                                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1382 on: March 31, 2010, 03:54:41 pm »
I read too much fluff, too.

At times it's great - and mindless - however, I love reading the books suggested by the "club" when I need something with substance.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #1383 on: March 31, 2010, 10:10:13 pm »
well, i still haven't bought the book yet. and like clarice, sooo busy with all the church services for Holy Week.
but end of next week i'll be supervising/chaperoning a group of high school kids on a band trip to new york city. i hope to be reading it on the bus by then.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #1384 on: April 01, 2010, 08:07:35 am »
Keri~
I think we're all a little slow on the up take!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1385 on: April 01, 2010, 08:11:13 am »
I haven't even finished the first chapter yet and it is due April 7 . . . hope I can renew it.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1386 on: April 01, 2010, 10:43:35 am »
Soundy, Do you have a blog?                           

short answer No ... I have thought about and have written out some experience for self and friends ... when I am typing here or at other group places I belong it is easy ... stuff just falls out of my head and through my fingers to key board ... but if I am trying to write something purposely to be read it is harder ...

as I have said before , said we live on a funny farm ...with Waldo the trans gender  , interspecies goose that is a very confused animal but makes a great guard dog , Maggie the donkey that Bo gave me for Christmas to get me out in the world more and to keep me company when home alone ( has the man ever heard of a cat ?)  , the Brahma cow we had , Dave , that died a few years ago ...many adventures and misadventures with her that I have shared elsewhere ...she tried to smash everyone here but had the best calf out of herd every year , so was allowed to stay (she was another Christmas present from dear husband ...could have used a blender or toaster that year )   and lord only know what else that I have forgot ... I observe my world ...here on the farm and when I am out and about ...and my kids who are hilarious at times without trying ...and share things that I find humor in and think others might ...  have a doozy from school from an incident Monday morning ... a bunch of us found it  funny but not sure it would be appreciated here ... may try it out and if moderators want to pitch it that would be fine ... I think best I have shared here was the Gnome that visited me in recovery from AN surgery ...

people tell me that stuff like I share doesn't happen in their world ... I think it does but some people have tunnel vision and see what they have to and don't pay as much attention to there peripheral world around them ...

I am not big on Malls ...not a big shopper ... but have found a good use for Malls ... I like to buy a drink and maybe a snack ...donut holes , chips etc ... find a bench and just sit and watch people ... people do alot of funny things all the time .. I like catching them in the act and they don't know it ... then I journal for myself what I see ....I have done this since a teenager about 100 years ago

I had a point but lost it ... :-\

Read on ... I have a little bit to go on the book ... could have finished it last night but a little voice came drifting through the house ... it said Mom I need stick puppets tomorrow of Tom Sawyer , Aunt Polly , Becky Thatcher and a cat named Peter that is orange ... not word that I want to hear at 9:00pm  >:(... thank goodness for Making Friends dot com and their printable paper dolls ....last night was a story in it's self , but won't bore y'all with it ...it spilled over into this morning ..

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1387 on: April 01, 2010, 11:22:06 am »
You do write well and I have always enjoyed reading your take on things.  I admire the underlying humor that comes through when you are describing family situations!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Cheryl R

« Reply #1388 on: April 01, 2010, 11:36:20 am »
Still think you would do a super blog!       Have you ever been sent the emails of people of Walmart and the very interesting attire they wear there?           I have kept several as just amazes me what people can look like and let themselves be seen in public.   
I think the same thing of the Iowa State fair as I love to watch people there too.               
                                                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1389 on: April 02, 2010, 07:51:41 am »
Am stalled on Chapter 18.  Spending lots of time at the gym  :) and at work  :(

Three hour conference call last evening!  UGH!!!

Hope to start reading again this weekend.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

« Reply #1390 on: April 03, 2010, 10:26:41 pm »
between baby sitting and trying to finish minor kitchen remodeling so I can feed a hoard of hungry people tomorrow I have not made it  to the end ... will probably go back a chapter or two to pick up thread of story where I left off ... maybe Monday or Tuesday ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

cindyj

« Reply #1391 on: April 04, 2010, 06:17:46 pm »
The Amazing Race on CBS has the teams in Penang right now - they just went to the Snake Temple as visited by Phillip early in the book...snakes were every where alright :-\

I finished the book...will refrain from any comments :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #1392 on: April 04, 2010, 06:27:40 pm »
OHHHH...I am waiting to watch it later but I have read enough to know about the Snake Temple and the fortune teller!!  How exciting...I love it when stuff like that happens!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #1393 on: April 08, 2010, 05:29:38 pm »
I have yet to return to book and finish it ... gonna have to go back a bit and re-read and git 'er done ... no baby today but had to take 12 year old to get boosters and a slushy and get groceries due to family looking sickly from lack of nourishment (junk food ran out ) ... should finish it tonight if nothing comes up between now and bedtime

a question and shouldn't ask with one book not done (Gift of Rain)  and another waiting in wings (Hunger Games) but will anyway ...has anyone read Blind Side ? ... my 10 year old bought it for me because she wants to see the movie ...I always say that I don't like the movie as much if I have read the book first ... so she bought the book  in hopes I read it and then go pick up the movie and watch it and give her the approval to watch it ...

I think her logic is back wards ... shouldn't she want me to see the movie first since in theory I am not going to like the movie if I have read the book ?  ???...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #1394 on: April 08, 2010, 07:18:56 pm »
I had wondered about that book - I loved the movie!

K ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!