Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407643 times)

Kaybo

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1290 on: December 25, 2009, 08:13:30 pm »
Merry CHRISTmas!

Wanted to share about the books I am reading...they were recommended by the same SIL that told me about The Thirteenth Tale.  She actually was telling me about them because I was asking her for books for Addi.  When I went to get it, it was in the "Adult" section of Barnes & Noble instead of the "Teen" so I decided to read it first and see what I thought.  I whipped right thru the first and went straight away to the library to get the next one!  I couldn't believe it when I found them in the Science Fiction section (I usually don't go there!); however, if I really think about it, some of the books we have read and others (Harry Potter comes to mind) would probably fall into that category.  Anyway, it is the STUDY series by Maria V. Snyder - Poison Study, Magic Study and Fire Study.

Like I said, not my usual read but I really like it...yes, Jan, you have to try it!

K   ;D

PS - I decided to wait a little while for Addi to read it...it's not that bad but some language and "adult" implications that she doesn't need yet - she is only 12!  Priscilla, let me know what you think if you read or have read it!  Anyone else, for that matter...
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1291 on: January 03, 2010, 03:14:41 pm »
Just read The Help - set in the South in the 1960's.  Very good book.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #1292 on: January 03, 2010, 06:44:05 pm »
Half way through Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol.  An excellent read so far.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #1293 on: January 04, 2010, 10:38:44 am »
Just started Thirteenth Tale, but I know you've all read it.
Finished Wife, good stuff.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1294 on: January 04, 2010, 11:15:20 am »
It's funny you should mention Thirteenth Tale because my partner teacher came in this morning and asked if I had read it!  Guess I had better go get the book and read it so I can give my opinion.  I'm ready for a good read, so I will pick that one up next.
Sleepy day at school today.  Kids are being really good because most are still half asleep!  I can deal with that because I almost had a heart attack when my alarm went off at 5:15 this morning. :'(  Really miss those lazy mornings!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cindyj

« Reply #1295 on: January 04, 2010, 11:55:59 am »
You guys (Nancy and Priscilla) are going to enjoy Thirteenth Tale - once you've finished, be sure to let us know what you thought - we had good discussion/debate about it when the Book Club read it awhile back.  Don't go peek at our comments, though!

Anne Marie, I read DaVinci Code - loved it!  Then read Angels & Demons - was a bit perturbed that it was so similar to DaVinci Code, but finished it and was satisfied, be still not happy with its similarities to DaVinci Code.  My question is this, Lost Symbol looks very much like the others...is it?  I'm assuming you've read the other two?  Know many have said it's very good, but...

Jan, The Help is about two down on my current reading list - have heard it's very good - think I mentioned here that my sis-n-law's book club read it and they thought it was one of the best they had read as a "club."

Is it time to pick a new book for the club?  Know we were waiting for the holidays to be over...has anyone been keeping up with our suggestion list :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

cyrmom2

« Reply #1296 on: January 04, 2010, 01:01:29 pm »
Hi guys.  I loved The Help and Wife.  Looking forward to the Thirteenth Tale.  My local book club selection fro January is Sarah's Key.  Once of the best books I've read since A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. February's selection is Wolf Hall.

Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

lholl36233

« Reply #1297 on: January 10, 2010, 02:58:22 pm »
I read the entire Regan Reily series by Carol Higgins Clark.  Started with "Decked" down to "Cursed".    I enjoyed them very much on my travels to and from my proton treatments.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #1298 on: January 27, 2010, 04:52:10 pm »
Just picked up The Help and Luncheon at the Boating Party for the trip.  Now I don't have to worry about getting stuck in airports.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1299 on: January 27, 2010, 07:32:44 pm »
I am currently reading The Shack, which I am pretty sure someone here recommended, and I just checked Love and Other Impossible Pursuits from the library. However with our current mile-a-minute schedule it's anyone's guess how long it will take me to get through them.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #1300 on: March 06, 2010, 05:51:15 pm »
I am ready to read again!!  I miss CHALLENGING books that I wouldn't otherwise read...

Anybody with me??   ???

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1301 on: March 06, 2010, 06:41:17 pm »
I am reading The Gift of Rain for my book club and it is a beautiful book!  It is a hefty one, and is not a quick read, but I am loving every page.  I think it is going to make me sad in the end, if I were to make a prediction.

Read The Thirteenth Tale and really enjoyed it.  Right now I am totally bogged down in kid books.  I have 10 book groups starting at school on Monday/Tuesday.  Gulp!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

sgerrard

« Reply #1302 on: March 06, 2010, 07:08:33 pm »
I am ready to read again!!  I miss CHALLENGING books that I wouldn't otherwise read...

Anybody with me??   ???

I am. I was thinking the same thing. It has been a while since I have read a book. Let's get this thing going again.

Maybe we can Keri to join and inspire us as she does with running and walking. Maybe we can JILL to come too, and yell at us to TURN THE PAGE.  ;D

I would like a recap of books people have read since the last one we read together - was that the Potato book? I am up for anything.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1303 on: March 07, 2010, 11:09:22 am »
I need some motivation to get reading ... I have read several books for 7th and 8th grade teachers ... good but not challenging enough ... had a miricle or maybe a tradgedy the other night ... went into Books a Million and didn't find a single book I wanted to buy  :o ... usually leave with at least one and more likely three or four ...

we have the book fair going on at school this week and I am working two days ... get paid in books so at least the girls will have something new to read ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1304 on: March 07, 2010, 11:31:24 am »
I'm with you Soundy.  I haven't read anything decent in weeks.

It's time to resurrect this thread.  Anyone with me??

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways