Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407651 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1230 on: November 09, 2009, 01:08:29 pm »
Well, if I were Henry, I don't think I would want to drop in on any of these time periods. I have a feeling that as horrific as it seemed to us, the violence in each of these eras was likely far worse in reality than it was portrayed in the novel.

I think the story that I found most touching was the WWII chapter. I was so sad when Isak, on frost-bitten feet, carried his little sister out on the ice and they fell through. I thought that Isak and Lola would have made a good couple a few years later on. I was horrified when she ended up with the other jerk!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #1231 on: November 09, 2009, 08:18:26 pm »
Sara~ 
I couldn't believe that either!  On the other hand, they say that when you have experienced something terrible, you tend to lean towards those that have traveled that road with you...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1232 on: November 09, 2009, 09:34:19 pm »
Wait just a minute: frost-bitten feet?!? Maybe it was Henry . . .

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

cindyj

« Reply #1233 on: November 11, 2009, 12:41:46 pm »
I thought the author did such a good job at capturing the "tone" and "language" of each of the periods of which she wrote.  Think that's a tough thing to do.  So many people can only write and "sell" in one time period or another.  I know what I'm trying to say, but does it make sense to you guys?  (This is why I'm NOT a writer!)  I can appreciate the well-written word, but I can't do it myself :D

Cindy

PS - pssst, you Outlander fans, anyone read Echo yet?  Just finished it...I won't say anything ;)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #1234 on: November 11, 2009, 01:41:56 pm »
Of course I know what you mean Cindy.  Makes sense to me!!   
 :D

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #1235 on: November 11, 2009, 03:31:19 pm »
Yes, absolutely, Cindy.  I was thinking exactly the same thing while I was reading it.
I love the duality of the characters.  Many, if not all, of them have a hidden life.
I'm just at the part where they discovered the dyed cat hair.  Should be done soon.
But boy, do I feel like I need to go back and read it again!  I need an outline and timeline of movement of the haggadah.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #1236 on: November 11, 2009, 07:14:26 pm »
I thought the author did such a good job at capturing the "tone" and "language" of each of the periods of which she wrote.  Think that's a tough thing to do.

Brooks really excels at this -- she does an equally great job of capturing period tone and language in March and Year of Wonders; hope she'll do the same in her next book (which is probably a few years away) about the early days on Martha's Vineyard. She takes her research very seriously.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

cindyj

« Reply #1237 on: November 11, 2009, 08:11:31 pm »
Know what you mean, Nancy.  I felt like I should re-read it also...especially since I did not pay a great deal of attention to the very first part of it.  I really almost quit reading it as I was so uninterested in all those details about how to make paper, etc.  Very glad I stuck with it, though!

Catherine, I just picked up March at the library earlier today - glad to know you thought it was good as well. 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sgerrard

« Reply #1238 on: November 12, 2009, 04:48:49 am »
Hmm, didn't Clare, Henry's wife, make paper? Paper making and frost bitten feet...

I am curious whether everyone thinks that the contemporary story about Hanna herself contributed much to the book. I suppose it was necessary to tie it together, but it didn't do much for me.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1239 on: November 12, 2009, 05:50:03 am »
I noticed that too, Steve, and let's not forget that Ozren was a librarian and the book jumps back and forth between present and past. The plot thickens . . .

I agree that the contemporary story was needed to bind the story together, but I think the author attempted to pack too much into Hanna's story. Many of the criticisms I have read about the book complain that Hanna is a self-centered, immature character who does not grow over the course of the novel. I would counter that many of the people that I know who practice rare specialties (including doctors!) also -- perhaps necessarily -- think very highly of themselves and their skills. (That's one trait Hanna can definitely attribute to her mom.) Also I think that Hanna did grow through her period of self-doubt though many of her actions still seemed immature.

I found the ending to be a little less than satisfying. I did not think that the whole codex switch mission was in Hanna's nature, nor was her ability to forgive Ozren. But I liked the book. Thanks for the recommendation, Steve.

Sara

P.S. I'd like to keep discussing People of the Book for a while, but what does everyone think about deferring a new book until after the holidays?

left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

NancyMc

« Reply #1240 on: November 12, 2009, 06:14:58 am »
I'm up for a new book, but I can just get March or Time Traveler's Wife (is that the correct title?) or another recommended book.

Oh, has everyone read The Distant Land of My Father ?  Excellent writing.

Kaybo

« Reply #1241 on: November 12, 2009, 07:22:16 am »
Well, I definitely have a question (b/c I am a dumb blond, not a thought provoking discussion ?) but i want to wait until Nancy finishes it to ask...

I didn't love Hanna - I figured it was just me - she was OK, but the other stories really grabbed me more!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #1242 on: November 12, 2009, 07:57:45 am »
Hanna didn't bother me too much - I definitely liked the other stories better (I do love my history, you know), but I sort of liked her attitude...didn't like her mother, though.  Didn't "buy" that she would not have discussed something about the father with Hanna.

Probably a good idea, Sara, to wait for our next book til after the holidays...I'll be reading, but it is a busy time.  What else do we have on our list?  I've not read it yet, but I've heard The Help is a good one.  We need to pick one that's not too historical, though, so Jan can join us again  ;D

Cindy

P.S.  Yes, Nancy, it's The Time Traveler's Wife...good one for you to read so you'll understand all the "Henry" references around here :)  Or, have you read The Thirteenth Tale?  Let us know if you read it so we can ask you about one incident in the book in particular...don't go back to look at our discussion here about it, though.  It will give something away ;)
feeling great!

NancyMc

« Reply #1243 on: November 12, 2009, 08:55:32 am »
No, I haven't read The Thirteenth Tale.  The list is growing.  I just read the first page of The Time Traveler's Wife and can't wait to get it!
Okay, I'm headed for the reading chair.  I won't look up until I'm finished, so go ahead.
Oh, I totally relate to Hanna because my mother is exactly like her mother, a pioneer medicine woman who grew up in India with her medical missionary father.  One can only disappoint a woman like that. 

NancyMc

« Reply #1244 on: November 14, 2009, 08:47:49 am »
Where'd everybody go?
I'm finished!  Headed to the library to get MarchWife is on reserve.
Now I know who "the other jerk" was.  Yuck.
Very cool . . . Lola finding the haggadah.
Especially liked the characters of the illustrator and Ruti. 
I would love to go back through and see if there were any connections I missed, like who was the Venetian priest actually and the wealthy Venetian woman in the gondola. 
When Ruti baptized her nephew and then got on the ship to Italy, what happened to her and him?  I'll have to read it again some day.
Enjoyed it thoroughly . . . although parts were tough to take.
MOVIE!