Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407642 times)

cindyj

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1185 on: October 16, 2009, 09:26:53 am »
No, Kaybo, it is not non-fiction - I never read non-fiction :P  But, as Jan points out, it does have quite a bit of history to it.  It goes back and forth between modern times and previous time periods - WWII all the way back to 1400's or so, I think.  As Steve mentioned, it's rather like many small stories all tied together by "The Book" - has a bit of love to it also.  The writing is very good - characters in it are varied and great, I thought...

See what you think,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #1186 on: October 16, 2009, 09:59:45 am »
I think that People of the Book is an excellent read! Probably the best of Geraldine Brooks' writings, although Year of Wonders and March are really good, too. Brooks covers a variety of historical settings in her works, does extensive research, and has a real knack for capturing the appropriate sense of time -- the dialogue, environment, etc. all seem to fit well. Year of Wonders is about the 17th century plague in Great Britain and March speculates on the Civil War experiences of the father of Alcott's Little Women. I believe her next book is going to be about the early years on Martha's Vineyard. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with People of the Book!

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #1187 on: October 20, 2009, 05:40:01 pm »
I saw what book you guys had chosen and so I got it from the library.  I'm enjoying it very much.  Thanks for the tip!!

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Kaybo

« Reply #1188 on: October 20, 2009, 05:42:28 pm »
OK - I still haven't gotten past the 1st few pages so if everybody is ready to discuss, go ahead.  It is not that it doesn't seem interesting, it just hasn't grabbed my attention yet and so I do other stuff instead of read...

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1189 on: October 20, 2009, 05:44:49 pm »
I picked it up from the library but haven't started yet. Spent most of today gathering health care receipts to send in for cafeteria plan reimbursement. I thought we might have some extra this year to pre-pay some of my son's orthodontic bill, but no such luck.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1190 on: October 20, 2009, 08:14:31 pm »
Not to worry, Kay ......  I'm still in the second chapter.  I am finding it very fascinating.

We just returned from a week at the beach with my sister and husband.  It was so cold at the beach, we watched several DVDs instead of walking as much on the beach.  We watched "The DaVinci Code," which reminds me of the intrigue in "People of the Book."  We also watched "The Red Violin," which in many ways is like the "book" by the way it traveled throughout its history.

It sounds like several others are still reading so I will do my best to get it read in the next few days.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #1191 on: October 21, 2009, 01:28:08 pm »
I'm in the middle of the book, and I hope I get through this part fast.  Spanish Inquisition gives me the chills.  I thank the Heaven's Above that I wasn't born in that time and place. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #1192 on: October 21, 2009, 04:43:07 pm »
Actually, I've finished the book.  ;D  I learned some things and I hope that I can remember them!  It was interesting and I enjoyed the book, except for the Inquisition part (ick). 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

cindyj

« Reply #1193 on: October 21, 2009, 05:58:40 pm »
I must have blocked the Inquisition part out of my mind...I don't remember it...will have to review it.  While I agree the Inquisition was horrible, I do love that whole time in history - yes, I'm strange ::)

Kaybo, hang in there, the beginning was torture for me - I came very close to giving it back to the friend who let me borrow it.

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #1194 on: October 21, 2009, 06:21:26 pm »
Interesting how we react to a book.  I was immediately interested and thought: Oh boy, this might be fun!   Hence, the quick read for me.  My aunt gave me back a book I'd given her, because she is interested in WWII era books.  I'd given her Philip Roth's book, The Plot Against America.  I read the first page.  Not interested. 

You forgot that poor man being tortured?  Egad.  I was headed to bed soon after reading that, and I wondered if I would be able to erase that from my memory so I could get to sleep.   That's that whole, what horrendous things people do in the name of religion  thing.  :'(    Brrrrrr, chilling.   

Then I googled the book and saw the real book's illustrations.  Fascinating.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

another NY postie

« Reply #1195 on: October 27, 2009, 05:37:41 am »
This is my first read with ANA group..so am curious...was it just coincidence or just ironic that the mother was chair of neurosurgery and was a skull based neurosurgeon?  Don't think I ever read mengioma and 8th cranial nerve in a book before - at least I understood what they were! :D  Wonder if author had an AN or knows someone or knows a neurosurgeon...curious...
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #1196 on: October 27, 2009, 07:44:35 am »
Just checked it out by phone and will pick it up and start it today!  Can't wait!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Kaybo

« Reply #1197 on: October 27, 2009, 08:15:36 am »
Am finally into it a bit more...really like it once it got into the "stories" (lola)...Cheryl, I had noticed that the mom was a neurosurgeon too!!  No, we don't pick books based on that - just ones that we have heard or that someone has read that might be good!

K    ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #1198 on: October 27, 2009, 01:30:11 pm »
This is my first read with ANA group..so am curious...was it just coincidence or just ironic that the mother was chair of neurosurgery and was a skull based neurosurgeon?  Don't think I ever read mengioma and 8th cranial nerve in a book before - at least I understood what they were! :D  Wonder if author had an AN or knows someone or knows a neurosurgeon...curious...
Cheryl

Hey, Cheryl, glad you've joined us...wasn't that interesting about the mother being a neurosurgeon and picking a tumor on the 8th nerve as her challeging surgery?  I had forgotten about that.  And, interesting description she gave for it.  Yes, it was purely coincidence, though!

Cindy
feeling great!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #1199 on: October 27, 2009, 01:49:49 pm »
Don't give away too many secrets.  I've got the book, a glass of wine and some California rolls.  Time to escape!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness