Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407712 times)

Keri

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1110 on: September 16, 2009, 10:01:40 pm »
we're done with the potato book?  i don't want to be done yet! of course, at the moment, i'm at a loss for what to say.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1111 on: September 16, 2009, 11:17:03 pm »
I am more than happy to discuss the potato book some more. I enjoyed it more than any of the books I have read for this group thus far. It's late now, but I will try to come up with a discussion-provoking question tomorrow.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

sgerrard

« Reply #1112 on: September 17, 2009, 12:53:07 am »
If we get in the spirit of the Society, we will simply keep re-reading the potato book and discussing it over and over again. :)

I liked Kay's observation of the parallel between bringing Remy to the island, and then realizing that she needed the company of fellow survivors, and our need for each other here on the AN forum. That didn't occur to me, but it is a good fit.

If you want a discussion topic, explain to me why Juliet, who was clearly a cosmopolitan woman, suddenly became so interested in rural Guernsey and the salt of  the earth Dawsey. Why was it so appealing to her? What was she missing that she found in Guernsey?

I just read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, by Junot Diaz. It is pretty spicy, and has some sickening violence, but it was good reading. The craziness of the Dominican Republic under a dictator, plus the odd life of a nerd in New Jersey. It won a Pulitzer.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1113 on: September 17, 2009, 09:48:50 pm »
I liked Kay's observation of the parallel between bringing Remy to the island, and then realizing that she needed the company of fellow survivors, and our need for each other here on the AN forum. That didn't occur to me, but it is a good fit.

If you want a discussion topic, explain to me why Juliet, who was clearly a cosmopolitan woman, suddenly became so interested in rural Guernsey and the salt of  the earth Dawsey. Why was it so appealing to her? What was she missing that she found in Guernsey?

Excellent point by Kaybo.

As for Juliet, I think she was attracted to Guernsey because the people there let her be who she wanted to be - they didn't try to change her or mold her into something she wasn't.   They took her for who and what she was - and the feeling was mutual.  I also think this is why she found Dawsey so appealing.  He was so different from what's his name (sorry I'm drawing a blank) and he didn't try to tell her what to do or try to change her.  He loved her for who she was - not who he could make her into.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1114 on: September 25, 2009, 09:59:30 am »
Just back from a 3300 mile driving trip ...... whew!  The main reason for the trip was to my high school reunion in North Dakota.  While there, I mentioned to a classmate about reading the "potato" book. She was most interested in it.  Then she told me about reading The Outliers, that Kate mentioned in an earlier post here.  She said that was an excellent book.

I know you have long ago finished posting about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but I did want to add that I finally finished it while on our trip.  I know I have read many other books that I thought were the best ever at the time, but this book really struck me on many levels.  I was skeptical at first about the letter writing style, but the plot and characters were wonderfully developed by the author through this way.  It gave me a renewed insight into the awful things that happened during WWII.  Not until I read Kaybo's post did I realize why I empathized with Remy so much.  I was so concerned at first that Dawsey was trying to get Remy to forget her past, when it was so very much part of her.  I, as well, am sorry we will not have more books by Mary Ann Shaffer.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

followingHim

« Reply #1115 on: September 25, 2009, 11:17:15 am »
I can't keep up... ???   Is the book club about to start a new book?  How do you decide on a book?  Have you chosen one yet ... :D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1116 on: September 25, 2009, 09:47:23 pm »
I think we should still discuss the Potato book some more - we really didn't do it justice.

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1117 on: September 25, 2009, 10:10:16 pm »
I agree, Jan. Did you ever have a chance to check and see if Sophie wrote anything? I'm almost certain that she did not, but I am at a disadvantage without the book in front of me.

Anyway, I think Isola said something about how reading a good book spoils you for enjoying bad books. Or maybe it was well written books spoil you for poorly written ones. At any rate, do you agree?

I do and I don't . . . sometimes I like to read a fluff book just as I sometimes like to watch a mindless movie. However, I don't like to read really poorly written (or edited) books because I am distracted by thinking "I would have written it this way."

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1118 on: September 26, 2009, 08:58:43 am »
I thought I must have missed all of your discussion on the Potato book, so I am delighted that apparently it can be still ongoing ......

On a quick perusal of the book, I could find no communication from Sophie.  The author(s?) was so clever that I felt like Sophie had written to Juliet many times.  For instance, when Sidney broke his leg in Australia, Juliet writes to Sophie "I only got a cable, so you know more than I do.  But whatever the circumstances, it's absolutely ridiculous for you to consider flying off to Australia." and again when she wrote to Sophie from Guernsey "Yes, I'm here."  In most of her letters to Sophie, I felt like she was answering a letter from Sophie, but it isn't there.

Isola's quote was "reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad ones."  I do not totally agree with that, although if I start into a poorly written book, I often do not ever finish it (my reading time/energy is too short).

Clarice

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1119 on: September 26, 2009, 04:47:26 pm »
Isola's quote was "reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad ones."  I do not totally agree with that, although if I start into a poorly written book, I often do not ever finish it (my reading time/energy is too short).

Good point, Clarice.  I've often struggled briefly through a boring book, then just gave up completely or skimmed the remaining pages to see how it ended.  I wish I could do the same with a movie, but no matter how bad it is I'm the kind who has to continue watching to see the final result  :P

Thanks for checking the book for letters from Sophie - I haven't had time.  I'm a little surprised to hear that she didn't write any letters - I could have sworn she did - but I guess like you say, the authors did such a great job of letting us know Sophie through Juliet's letters that I never noticed she didn't write any herself.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #1120 on: September 26, 2009, 05:19:08 pm »
I didn't think that Sophie wrote anything but I couldn't check as I finally turned the book in (& paid the late fees) because as sad as I was about it, I was afraid that we were thru discussing this book.  I REALLY liked it & thought that it had a LOT of things to talk about, but unfortunately I didn't mark them as I read & then couldn't find them when I went back - lesson learned!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1121 on: September 26, 2009, 08:09:01 pm »
Here is a question that does not require looking back at the book.

If you had lived in Guernsey at the time of the German occupation, would you have sent your children to England without you?

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1122 on: September 26, 2009, 08:26:15 pm »
WOW, that is a tough question.  My first reaction is, why didn't one of the parents or a relative go with them?  But then, the Germans would have taken over and possibly destroyed more property and homes in Guernsey.  I have to believe that the mothers did not feel they had any choice in the matter.  I do not think I could have sent them off alone.  It had to have been terrifying for mothers and children especially.

Clarice 

sgerrard

« Reply #1123 on: September 26, 2009, 08:34:41 pm »
If you had lived in Guernsey at the time of the German occupation, would you have sent your children to England without you?

I would have to say yes, because my mother was shipped over to the USA from England during the war, at the age of 15. I wonder if any children from Guernsey that got shipped off to England in turn got shipped over to the USA?

My mother stayed with the Butterworths at Squam Lake, which is where NancyMc lives, and she knows the Butterworths, and she now knows of me because of our acoustic neuromas. We are practically related. :)

The author was so clever that I felt like Sophie had written to Juliet many times.

I think that is what made the letter writing work so well. There is a very light touch at work, never saying too much or belaboring anything, but giving just enough information to form a vivid impression of many of the characters, including Sophie, who isn't even a character in the narrative of the story. Like a portrait artist who can capture a face in a few brushstrokes.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #1124 on: September 27, 2009, 08:50:29 am »
Yes, I believe I would have sent my children to England...I can hardly even stand to try to imagine it, but know it would have been the right thing to do.  Steve, that's fascinating (and awful) that your mother was one who was evacuated from England!  And, NancyMc is connected in all of it!  What a small and strange world!

This author really did do an amazing job of bringing all of those many characters to life through only the means of letter writing.  I found it very thought provoking, and it brought out many emotions, both good and bad.

It's going on my list of books I recommend to others!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings