Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407593 times)

Kaybo

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1095 on: September 11, 2009, 08:29:59 am »
A couple of people in the church where I attend came to mind too!!  I would never think that about a WHOLE book based on one snippet of one character!!  I thought that it just made the story seem more real...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #1096 on: September 11, 2009, 08:48:22 am »
I also was a bit skeptical at first about the way the book was written.  However, I agree with you guys.  I thought it worked and was very well done.  I thought the characters were so well developed despite the brevity of the "chapters".  I think of Sarah's Key, which had no where near the number of "main" characters as this book, and there is no comparison to the connection I felt to the characters in the Potato book.  Don't know if that's due to much better writing or ??

Cindy

P.S.  I definitely would not want to read the next Knitting book - didn't like the first all that well ;)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1097 on: September 11, 2009, 03:05:56 pm »
I think Steve should write a knitting novel. Non-fiction if possible. He's got a way with words, don't you think?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #1098 on: September 11, 2009, 06:57:11 pm »
I am not really in your club, but wanted to tell you that because of what I saw on here, I am finally readingThe Time Traveler's Wife.  Just started it.  I did read a very good book and practically read it in one sitting, it kept my attention so.  Anyway it's called Before I Forget by Leonard Pitts Jr.  It's about a man trying to reach out to his 19 year old son after he(the man) learns that he has early onset Alzheimer's.  Also it's about the man's relationship to his own father.  It's an easy read, but delves into African-American father/son relationships.  Adult situations, ghetto language, but I thought it was well done and told a powerful story.  Just throwing that one out there if it's anything that you guys want to read. :D

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #1099 on: September 11, 2009, 06:59:37 pm »
Sue:  sounds like a powerful book - I'm always looking for more books.  Thanks for the info.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1100 on: September 11, 2009, 07:17:43 pm »
I am not really in your club . . .

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue, now that you have posted, you are in! Welcome.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #1101 on: September 11, 2009, 09:22:02 pm »

I loved the style of writing in the potato book. It took a little getting used to - sometimes I got characters mixed up if their names began with the same letter (just at the beginning). What I thought was interesting was this: when I read a book and it's written in the narrative format, there's usually a description of the character presented. In the PB, there was some of that, but it was more subtle, done in a roundabout way. It's hard to get a mental picture in your mind of what they look like, how old they are, etc. That's ok - that adds to the enjoyment of it. But it makes it much more difficult to predict, which is nice too - things aren't so obvious. If you sense it's going to be a love story, or at least have some of that in the plot, it's harder to 'see' the character so I found it harder to think of who the main character might end up with (sorry... i finished reading it a week ago and I can't think of the main character's name!) For example, I wondered at first if she might like / love Sidney at first (or whatever the boss's name was). The rich, controlling jerk boyfriend was described in much detail, but I didn't think they would stay together. I wondered about Dawson, or Darcy or whatever his name was, but I had pictured him so much older until later in the book, when you did get a little bit of a description of him. When he sent her that first letter, I thought maybe they would fall in love, then I changed my mind when I envisioned him older.

So - sorry I've forgotten everyone's name, but I think the 'letter' style of writing makes the book hard to predict but fun to try to predict.

It could also be quite funny, in a British sort of way (which is always very funny), but when the details of the war were described, it was very emotional and poignant.

I loved the book; hated for it to end. I was so disappointed when I realized that it was the author's first and last novel.

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

sgerrard

« Reply #1102 on: September 11, 2009, 10:05:25 pm »
I agree, Keri, it was not really predictable, and I liked it that way. By the way it was Dawson and Sidney, together with Juliet making up the main triangle. I have to admit that I didn't anticipate romance being a big part of the story until well into the second half. I did figure out that Mark and Juliet would probably not end up together, but I was mainly expecting more about Guernsey during the war and afterwards.

It is too bad that we will never see another by Mary Ann Shaffer; maybe her niece Annie Burrows, who did the final writing on this one, will write a sequel, or something like it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1103 on: September 12, 2009, 07:50:29 pm »
I found it fascinating, given the number of characters, that there are no letters from Sophie (Juliet's best friend and Sydney's sister). Instead, we get to know her through what others write to her. Even though we never hear her voice directly, I found her character to be as well defined as the others.

Sara

left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #1104 on: September 12, 2009, 08:14:12 pm »
I noticed that she never wrote also - plus there was no mention of being able to fit in a trip to see her on the tour but obviously, she did...
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1105 on: September 12, 2009, 09:59:54 pm »
I liked the letter writing.  I generally don't, but in this case it worked quite well.

I'm not much for history, so I wasn't aware of a lot of what went on during the war and I found it fascinating to read about it. 

As far as the book being unpredictable, for some reason I knew from the very beginning that Dawsey and Juliet would end up together.  I don't know how I knew this; I just did.

I could have sworn that Sophie wrote at least one letter; will have to go back and check that out.

Adelaide was a hoot; there always seems to be one naysayer in the bunch.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #1106 on: September 13, 2009, 12:21:49 pm »
Two books come to mind for the next book..

Dan Brown's (author of DaVinci Code) new book, The Lost Symbol (about our founding fathers) is coming out. (Fiction)

The Outliers (Malcom Gladwell's new book)  He wrote Tipping Point  and Blink.  They are interesting books about human nature.
Outliers studies successful people and track's their path to success: hockey players to Bill Gates to best decades to be born etc...

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1107 on: September 16, 2009, 02:32:08 pm »
Any more comments about the potato book? I was a little skeptical at the beginning of the Guernsey letters, because it would be next to impossible to hide roasting a pig from the German army. You can't hide aroma.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #1108 on: September 16, 2009, 03:04:54 pm »
I think that it was when they were talking about the girl that was in the concentration camp and they brought to the island...someone else had pointed out that it would be good for her to be with others that had experienced what she had.  The comment was made by one of the people - Juliet, maybe - that they all thought that they could make everything better by bringing her to the island and it would all go away.  Sometimes I think that this is exactly how we feel.  People don't truly know what we are going thru unless they have been thru the same thing or something pretty darn close.  Some think that they might understand, but only the people on here TRULY understand.  Even though I have adjusted REALLY well (IMO), no one - not even Dave - REALLY know what it is like for me.

Anyways...I just thought about that as I was reading...
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1109 on: September 16, 2009, 07:21:01 pm »
I see that this is a movie coming out in August.  I hope it's good.  If anyone is interested, please read Kindred by Octavia E. Butler.  I only read it a few years ago, but it is a sci-fi classic.  It is easy to understand, not complicated in the time travel sequences and very touching and moving as a modern African American woman is transported back to a time when she is considered property in the old south. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Sue, I read Kindred on your recommendation. It is similar to TTTW in that the main character, Dana, has no control over her time travel. However, she always travels to the same place and can take along anything she is touching, including on one occasion her husband, who happens to be a white man. She is gone from the present day for just minutes or hours, yet spends weeks, months or years in the past. It is a linear story in that time has passed in the past every time she travels. The only explanation we have about Dana's time travel is that one of her ancestors, heir to a plantation, is in peril and she must save him to ensure her own existence.

I'm a middle aged WASP woman so what do I know, but the descriptions of slavery seem chillingly authentic, sometimes very difficult to read. The book is written solely from Dana's point of view, and the simpler time configurations make it a faster and easier read than TTTW. I did not understand what happened to Dana during her last travel home, but I don't want to spoil the story for those of you who may be interested in reading it.

Thanks, Sue!
Sara

P.S. The books I currently have waiting on my nightstand are:
          I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (I don't remember who recommended it to me, or why, but I finally worked my way to the top of the hold list)
          The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
          Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo
and two that were cited in the slave ship section of the pirate exhibit at the Field Museum:
          Thoughts and Sentiments on the Evil of Slavery by Quobna Ottobah Cugoano
          American Captivity Narratives by Olaudah Equiano

The waiting list on the new Dan Brown book is way long, and I truthfully don't have much interest in it. Who picks next?

Sara

left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09