Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407734 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1020 on: August 22, 2009, 07:43:25 pm »
I read The Eight many years ago and loved it.  Have re-read it since then.  I thought it had a little bit of everything in it-a little intrigue, romance, action, adventure...
I'm currently reading The Family for my local book group.  It is down right scary to see how people can get some pretty twisted ideas about WWJD.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

sgerrard

« Reply #1021 on: August 22, 2009, 08:01:31 pm »
I am in for TGLAPPS, aka the Potato book. I also read and liked People of the Book and think it would make a good one to discuss.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1022 on: August 23, 2009, 09:16:42 am »
I just finished reading The Last Time I was Me by Cathy Lamb and loved it so much I ordered a couple more of her books on Amazon yesterday when I ordered the potato book.

I think we should give everyone a few days to get the potato book then decide on a discussion date.  Sara, are you going to be the discussion leader?  aka the Queen?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1023 on: August 23, 2009, 09:53:20 am »
Sure. If everyone would please check in when you get the book and when you finish. Fortunately it is not as long as TTTW and an easier read as well. I hope you enjoy it.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1024 on: August 23, 2009, 12:28:39 pm »
My sister is in two different book clubs and she read the ".....Potato....." book last year and said it was excellent.  So with Sara's recommendation  :-* I'm in ...... as soon as I either find it in the library or purchase it.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Keri

« Reply #1025 on: August 23, 2009, 09:50:58 pm »
OK, I haven't been around in a while. I'll go get the Potato book too. But if y'all are all ready to get started - don't wait on me. I'm heading to TX and I'm not sure what kind of time I'll have (my son's graduating from USAF basic). We have to be on base at 6:00am THursday and Friday, so I doubt I'll stay up until 2:00, 3:00 or 4:00am like I sometimes do when I get obsessive about a book! I look forward to reading something about WWII.

Clarice - how graphic (bloody) is the TTW? I know the accident.... ooh, I'm a wimp when it comes to a lot of blood. I don't think I want to see it if it's too much like that.

Now, I'll probably stop in a bookstore and forget the name of this book! (the potato one)!

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

sgerrard

« Reply #1026 on: August 23, 2009, 10:12:11 pm »
Now, I'll probably stop in a bookstore and forget the name of this book! (the potato one)!

I'm not sure, Keri, but I bet if you just ask for "The Potato Book", they will probably know which one you mean. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1027 on: August 24, 2009, 08:52:13 am »
Keri .....

"The Time Traveler's Wife" was only mildly bloody (showing a small amount after the shooting from far away) ..... tastefully done with nothing offensive at all (at least to me, and I'm a wimp on bloody, violent movies, as well).

The potato book is:  The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows (what a mouthful!!).

Clarice

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1028 on: August 24, 2009, 08:59:20 am »
The full title is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but I'm sure either a bookseller or a librarian will know exactly what you mean, even if you shorten it to "that potato book," as Steve suggested.

Glad to hear that the movie was not overly gory, Clarice. Still don't know when I will find the time to see it! I haven't managed to see My Sister's Keeper, either. I don't even know if it is still playing here.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Keri

« Reply #1029 on: August 24, 2009, 09:08:16 am »
Thanks, Clarice! I had heard somewhere that it started with the accident. I didn't really want to see mom decapitated and blood everywhere like they talked about in the book.

How have you been? Did you enjoy the forum? Looks like y'all had a lot of fun. I haven't been on here as much lately and feel like I don't know as much about what's going on! But I'm now trying to catch up.

OK, looking forward to the potato book!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #1030 on: August 24, 2009, 09:11:42 am »
Sara,
I probably won't get around to seeing it either until it's been on video (OOPS DVD) a couple of years!
Keri
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1031 on: August 24, 2009, 11:52:18 am »
Keri .....

Yes, TTTW does start with the accident but it is not gory/graphic.  It has sort of a surreal affect to it.

I am slowly recovering from the Chicago trip ..... taking longer partly because we had just returned from a trip to North Carolina before the Illinois trip.  Now we are home for two weeks before driving to South/North Dakota.  Yikes!  I'm getting too old for this.   :o

I really enjoyed the symposium (I think that's what you meant .....).  The speakers were outstanding and it was so much fun to meet many of the currently active forum members.  So sorry you were not there, but you will be next time, won't you?  Or the "between symposiums" gathering if that materializes?  My biggest issue with the symposium was deciphering conversation with my loud tinnitus and hearing deficit.  It was very frustrating but I know there is really not anything that can make that any different.

Sara .....

Thanks for clarifying the title of the "potato" book  ..... I copied it down wrong to take to the library or bookstore.

Clarice

Keri

« Reply #1032 on: August 24, 2009, 12:50:55 pm »
Sara, thanks for the title. I wrote it down this time.

Clarice - yes, glad you enjoyed the symposium, not the forum! I think i had read a thread about having a get together with forum people (which would be great!) and so that's what i was thinking.  I understand about the noise in the background. WHen i went to that Maxwell's NE luncheon, I couldn't understand much of anything, but then many of us are in the same boat!

You have done a lot of travelling. Those sound like some long car trips! Enjoy the Dakotas!

Keri
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #1033 on: August 24, 2009, 02:32:16 pm »
Got the Potato Peel Pie book today!  Hope to start it tomorrow...

Priscilla, glad to hear you liked The Eight...I'm definitely intrigued by it.  A friend who read it said she can't wait for the sequel to come out, so I'm anxious to get further along in it.  But, I'll set it aside til I finish the Potato book...

Steve, I agree.  I think People of the Book would make for a great discussion here.  I would love to have the excuse to read it again.  Thought the author did a great job...no, no, I shouldn't  discuss it now :) Let's keep it on the list...

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

cindyj

« Reply #1034 on: August 26, 2009, 07:27:29 pm »
Just popping in to say that I'm enjoying the Potato book...thanks, Sara, for the recommendation.  Like I said, this book club is great for expanding my book horizons!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings