Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407722 times)

Kaybo

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #885 on: June 19, 2009, 09:11:15 am »
When Dave & I went to the movies Monday, the previews for that came on...it made think about when i was finishing it last year - I was on a plane back from somewhere (probably during all that face mess) and I remember just SOBBING my eyes out!  I was totally turned to the window so no one could see me!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #886 on: June 19, 2009, 09:34:11 am »
Hi Bookies,
Just reading about the books  that have been read recently.

I LOVE to read and may join in. Problem is with the tinnitus at the end of the day it is so intolerable, I can't concentrate and just end up going to sleep. Not a lot of reading time during the day, unless I'm a passenger in a car/plane, etc, ya know?

Cindy and K-I'm on my 3rd twilight series book.  My 21 y/o dtr read all 4 and enjoyed them, so we are sharing. Trying to keep that mother/dtr bond. So I'm not totally into them, but still want to get through this third one.
Did you see the first Twilight movie?
Very slow starting and almost boring, but it picked up  the pace. I'm looking forward to movie no.2.

And the other bummer is my memory. I have to write down what the book is about and the characters, etc, because it does not stay in the brain cells!  :-\

But I love reading anyway and getting "lost" in the book.

Maureen
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 11:33:53 am by Jim Scott »
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

followingHim

« Reply #887 on: June 19, 2009, 09:41:19 am »
I would be interested to know what book is being chosen next too.  Most of my reading of late has been to do with my studies, so it might be good to be reading something different for a change.

Blessings

Ley

Kaybo

« Reply #888 on: June 19, 2009, 09:42:17 am »
Maureen~
We need to resurrect this Book Club!  It was really fun and really opened me up to other books that I wouldn't have normally read.  It just seems like we are all so busy...sigh...

I have read the 1st two Twilight books - I liked them OK but wasn't into them enough to pay for the 3rd which was still only hardback! Has it gone to paper yet??  I did watch the movie with Addi (all her friends had seen it) and thought that it was OK but if I hadn't read the books, I think I would've been lost!

I read so much that I can't keep straight other books/characters I have read.  I pass books on to my mom all the time & then it will take her awhile before she reads that one & then she'll talk all about it - she is usually 1/2 way thru her speech before I can figure out exactly what book she is talking about!!  LOL!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #889 on: June 19, 2009, 11:05:54 am »
ok, someone just pick something and let the rest of us know!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #890 on: June 19, 2009, 11:06:44 am »
Yes, read all 4 of the Twighlight books (all paperback now,K) - really could have been just one big book...admit I got hooked on them despite myself...and the fact that they were written for a younger crowd.  Just love the concept of vampires still being around.  Saw the movie with a group of girlfriends a couple of weeks ago.  I agree, if I hadn't read the books, it would not have made as much sense.  And, I did like "my" Edward better than the actor one ;)  I just bought the Twighlight Score (not soundtrack) - have played it over and over again as I'm driving around town! 

But, back to books...yes, we need a new book to start together.  I've just started one, but can put it aside to join the group on a book if we want to try to get it going again.  Any thoughts?  Know there's a list somewhere back a few pages - don't think we ever got all the way through it???  Suggestions?

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #891 on: June 19, 2009, 02:16:04 pm »
I just read an interesting novel, Man Walks Into a Room, by Nicole Krauss. It is about a man who is found wandering aimlessly in Las Vegas. By the time his wife is located and notified, he has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. Its removal causes him to lose all of his personal memories after the age of 12, so obviously he does not remember his wife. The novel deals with their struggle to deal with the repercussions of not only his loss of memory, but also his lack of interest in getting it back.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

tenai98

« Reply #892 on: June 20, 2009, 11:10:50 am »
Just finished My Sister's Keeper. I guess the author was trying to convey the irony of  life. As well as parental love and the choice of making the right or wrong decisions for our children.  I read another book by Fern Micheals with somewhat of the same storyline, but in Micheals novel, the mother chose not to love the daughter that was conceived and birthed to help her dying sister.  As a parent whose son at the age of 18 months was dx with a melonama I had the choice of keeping him out of the sun, keep him in long pants and shirts as doc recommended  and watch him be miserable while his 3 brothers played in the yard or lather on sunscreen while in shorts and t shirt and let him be a boy. I chose the latter deciding that if he was going to die (sorry for the harshness) at least he would die being a happy and not have him live in misery just to prolong his life for my benifit. He is now cancer free and is 24 yrs old
Jo ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

sgerrard

« Reply #893 on: June 20, 2009, 11:42:13 am »
at least he would die being happy and not have him live in misery just to prolong his life

That conundrum doesn't just affect the young; my brother in law now has much the same dilemma at 63 with a diagnosis of myeloma. Should he try and have a long life, or try and have a good life? Not an easy call...

Back when we were reading Sarah's Key, I also picked up three other books, which I think were mentioned by others in this topic as possible candidates for reading.

They are:
   The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger
   The Zookeeper's Wife, Diane Ackerman
   People of the Book, Geraldine Brooks

I haven't read any of them, so if anyone wants to pick one of those as the next book, I will join in.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #894 on: June 22, 2009, 07:34:08 am »
I read The Time Traveler's Wife - was thinking we had discussed this one, but guess I just saw it on our list and read it on my own...it would probably be a good one for discussion.  Or, I'll read either of the other ones...Somebody else pick :-\

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #895 on: June 22, 2009, 08:02:14 am »
Anything is good with me - let's pick it fast as we are going on a road trip to get the girlies from camp & I will have LOTS of time to read!

K ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #896 on: June 22, 2009, 09:00:01 am »
i vote for something not depressing.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #897 on: June 22, 2009, 10:35:20 am »
Steve and Cindy both mentioned The Time Traveler's Wife. How about that?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #898 on: June 22, 2009, 04:08:31 pm »
that sounds good to me - I am with Keri - not depressing!!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kaybo

« Reply #899 on: June 22, 2009, 05:36:28 pm »
I am off to the library - I'm going to check on The Time Traveler's Wife!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!