Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407764 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #855 on: April 15, 2009, 12:58:25 pm »
The No. 1 Ladies Detective series is written by Alexander McCall.  It is a cute series and the main character is really likable.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cindyj

« Reply #856 on: April 21, 2009, 11:07:45 am »
Finished Sarah's Key over the weekend...I'll watch for the discussion to start...

Now, back to my vampires!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #857 on: April 21, 2009, 12:49:46 pm »
I finished it Sunday night so when do we want to start it??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kaybo

« Reply #858 on: April 23, 2009, 12:18:11 pm »
HELLO...is anyone still reading or are we ready to CHAT??  I think (w/o going back and rereading this thread) that a lot of people had already read this book.  I know that Cindy & I are both finished...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #859 on: April 23, 2009, 08:08:27 pm »
I'm game.

I thought that Sarah's Key was very well written. Even though I was pretty sure I knew what was going to happen to the little boy, I kept hoping against hope that I was wrong. I thought the author did a wonderful job of portraying the emotions of a young girl in a horrifying situation. Books where I can vividly see in my mind's eye what the author is describing are few and far between, but this is one.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #860 on: April 23, 2009, 08:10:39 pm »
This is so awesome that the book club lives on.  I plan to join the next round.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kaybo

« Reply #861 on: April 23, 2009, 08:18:51 pm »
Kate~
Glad you are back!  We missed you!!

Sara~
I just didn't see any other thing that would happen to Michel either - #1, no one knew he was there #2, the apartment was empty (I would have liked to know EXACTLY how soon it was before the Tezac's moved in - people didn't ahve near the stuff or take near as long to move back then, I don't think) #3, he couldn't get out, even if he wanted but he probably trusted his sister explictly at 4 since she was so much older...

I also knew that the grandma was going to be the tie - at 1st , I thought that maybe SHE was going to turn out to be Sarah...

Everyone else's thoughts??

Sara, thanks for getting us going! ;D

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #862 on: April 23, 2009, 08:58:44 pm »
I also knew that the grandma was going to be the tie - at 1st , I thought that maybe SHE was going to turn out to be Sarah...

Kay -

I thought the very same thing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #863 on: April 24, 2009, 12:22:36 pm »
Well, I thought it was a great story, but was disappointed a bit - I was left always wanting more somehow.  I felt like I was reading a Reader's Digest Condensed version or something.  I liked the idea of the author moving from the past to the present, but...I suppose I am comparing it to the writing in A Thousand Splendid Suns...both such heart-wrenching stories, but completely different levels/types of writing.  Again, I loved the story, just wanted more...hope that makes sense.  I am still haunted by the thought of Sarah's brother, so it definitely made an impact on me...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #864 on: April 25, 2009, 04:02:10 am »
been out of touch and lost here ...looked for Sarah's Key today when I went to town with no luck ...maybe
I will catch the next book ...

speaking of which ...is there a next one pick out so I can start looking for a copy ??? I may have missed it in
my scanning of past few pages of Book Club post ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

cindyj

« Reply #865 on: April 25, 2009, 07:18:16 am »
Hey, Soundy - sorry you couldn't find Sarah's Key.  Our library had it, but it was checked out with a long list of folks waiting for it.  I ended up having to get it at Barnes & Noble.

No, I don't think we've picked out the next book to read...I know there's a suggested list in here somewhere, but don't think it's in any particular order...guess we'll pick one out after we finish discussing Sarah...

Hope to see you for the next one!

Cindy
feeling great!

Kaybo

« Reply #866 on: April 25, 2009, 08:53:46 am »
I couldn't believe it, it was just on the shelf and not even the "new" book shelf!!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #867 on: April 26, 2009, 11:32:40 pm »
I finally got a chance to finish reading Sarah's Key. I know what you mean, Cindy, about the slightly Reader's Digest version. Many characters seemed to get stock part descriptions. I thought the second half was better, at least. It is interesting that you mention A Thousand Splendid Suns - in that story, there is a child at the end who is named after the main character Miriam. I was reminded of that at the end of this book. I liked the narrative about Sarah, but I didn't like switching back and forth between that story and the present day story so often.

So here is a question for you. Before you read this book, if anyone had asked you about the French participation in the holocaust, would you have known about it? I had no idea myself. It is pretty amazing and disturbing what civilized people will do if the circumstances are right...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #868 on: April 27, 2009, 05:33:41 am »

So here is a question for you. Before you read this book, if anyone had asked you about the French participation in the holocaust, would you have known about it? I had no idea myself. It is pretty amazing and disturbing what civilized people will do if the circumstances are right...

Steve

That was probably the most important thing I got out of the book, Steve...no, I wasn't aware of the French involvement.  Yes, it is unbelievable what "civilized" people will do - that was also one of the many things I took away from A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Cindy
feeling great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #869 on: April 27, 2009, 05:50:00 am »
I wasn't aware of the French involvement either.  I found that part very interesting.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways