Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407239 times)

cindyj

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1935 on: September 20, 2012, 01:30:33 pm »
I'm reading Harry Potter - thought I should for some reason...about half way thru book 4...

I actually did read Hunger Games (think it was discussed here before many pages back) - I liked the first one, though I did feel very guilty about reading a book with such a disturbing topic - but it was really very well done.  However, I doubt I would have wanted my boys to read it when they were younger, so know it's a hard thing, Soundy.  I read The Giver also and must say I thought it was good also...that one I actually read to the boys when I was homeschooling them - I did leave out certain parts of it, however.

Someone recommended When She Woke by Hillary Jordan - not my usual genre.  Anyone read it or heard about it?

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1936 on: September 20, 2012, 10:33:37 pm »
Haven't heard of When She Woke.

Just finished When it Happens to You by Molly Ringwald.  Yes, the actress.

Just started The Keeper of Lost Causes, which is supposed to be similar to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Next in line is Divergent, recommended to me by Priscilla (msmaggie).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1937 on: September 21, 2012, 09:40:01 pm »
Saved this teacher for last at conferences yesterday and had a grrrrrrrrrrrr moment ... she was reading off Sarah's grades and all were good ... then she said she took off points from final grade because she didn't read the darn book and that the AR test had no bearing on grade and this held true for all students... evidently all they had to do is answer yes or no when asked at start of year whether they had read it or not ... a Yes got a check mark and a No got points off ... she gave them time to go on and read it ... she pushed Sarah and had her flipping out over reading it and passing the AR test and then didn't even use it for grading

we have it in writing that Sarah will not have to reaMocking jayay and several other kids are now on the list ... makes me mad that Sarah ipenalizeded for being truthful when others lied about reading it and got that all important check ... they were bragging to me and my book fair partner about slipping under the teachers radar... whole thing is messed up but over  except for the fact we have to deal with her until May ...

I am reading Inside Out and Back Again for 6th grade teacher and also The 9th Ward ... I will get back to big kid books after the book fair ....
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1938 on: September 22, 2012, 11:27:38 am »
we have it in writing that Sarah will not have to reaMocking jayay and several other kids are now on the list ... makes me mad that Sarah ipenalizeded for being truthful when others lied about reading it and got that all important check ... they were bragging to me and my book fair partner about slipping under the teachers radar... whole thing is messed up but over  except for the fact we have to deal with her until May ...

Soundy, it makes me mad too that your daughter was penalized for being honest.  But on the bright side, it's very refreshing that she's honest.  So many young people aren't these days, including my own son who drives me crazy with his lying (I catch him constantly)  ::)

It's also nice that others are now on the list; progress has been made!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #1939 on: September 22, 2012, 01:43:06 pm »
Soundy ~

For what its worth, you have my sympathy for (you and your daughter) having to deal with this frustrating teacher.  Now I see why some parents home-school. 

When my son was in first grade we realized that the local city school system was not going to be a good fit for him.  Because we had planned to move, we pushed up the date and changed residences - and schools - within a month after the start of the new school year.  Best thing we could have done.  The new school system was in a relatively small town (22,000) and had enough affluent residents (we weren't among them) to ensure the public schools were of good quality. Our son thrived and graduated high school right on schedule with good grades.  He went on to obtain a B.A. degree at a small private college nearby (he commuted, worked 3 jobs to help pay for his education and is still paying off student loans).  Today, he has a secure job he likes and is earning a very good salary. 

I realize everyone can't move to another town because of their public school system and most parents can't home-school (it would have been very difficult for us).  I just wanted to make the point that as parents, we always do what's best for our child/children and in this instance with Sarah and this intransigent teacher, you certainly did the best you could with a difficult situation.  It's just too bad that some teachers, for whatever reason, make it difficult for good kids.  Still, as someone who is friends with a very dedicated (high school) English teacher who has to deal with unruly teenagers while attempting to teach honors classes, I sympathize with those who teach and realize that for all the good, encouraging teachers there are always a few misfits who would be better off pursuing another line of work.  I'm just sorry that you and Sarah had to deal with the latter this time around. 

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

« Reply #1940 on: September 24, 2012, 09:49:04 am »
I try to let the kids fix things themselves. In this instance I should have jumped in sooner.

Day three of book fair and all is well. Everytime a class comes in it turns to chaos then like now it is just the two of us sitting here , one one a Nook and the other on Kindle Fire. We have been using them to look up books and see if they are in the AR system.

Has anyone read The Best of Me by Nichoas Sparks? It is on clearance for $5.99 instead of the $14.99 regular price. Thinking of getting it with my Book Bucks at end of week. If I get all my hours in I will have around $150  to spend. We also have Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakaur and Thanks for The Memories by Cecelia Ahern. The rest of the grown up books are cook books. Bo says I need a new book like I need another hole in my head. He just doesn't understand ;D

Eeeeeeeek!!!!!!!! A new class Please excuse typos. Fingers toobig for nook.

Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1941 on: September 27, 2012, 01:17:01 pm »
Loved The Keeper of Lost Causes.  Found it similar to The Girl w/the Dragon Tattoo, but without all the violence and quirkness (not that I didn't enjoy "The Girl" cuz I did).  Figured out "who done it" before it was revealed, but still loved the book.

Am now about 100 pages into Divergent and am loving it, too.

Nothing like a great book  ;D

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #1942 on: September 27, 2012, 07:16:16 pm »
Addi LOVED Divergent and the 2nd one...she's waiing for the third one! I guess I need to put it on my Kindle and read it!  Need to check out the Keeper because I LOVED The Girl books but since I read a LOT of Christian fiction, all the sex & violence was a little more than what I usually read!!   ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1943 on: September 29, 2012, 10:01:58 pm »
Kay -

I had never even heard of Divergent (it's considered YA reading) until Priscilla recommended it to me when I met her a few months ago.

It's definitely a popular book; I was on the waiting list at my library for months before it was available.

Will have to look into the second book; didn't realize there was one.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #1944 on: September 30, 2012, 04:01:26 pm »
I'm pretty sure it is called Indulgent...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1945 on: October 01, 2012, 02:49:06 pm »
Close, but actually it's called Insurgent.

I only know this because I added myself to the library's waiting list the other day.

Thankfully, this afternoon my number came up.

Perfect timing; I just finished Divergent today during lunch.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #1946 on: October 01, 2012, 04:28:53 pm »
I got the IN and gent right! 
 ::)
K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1947 on: October 02, 2012, 08:30:50 pm »
LOL   :D

Soundy

« Reply #1948 on: October 12, 2012, 06:03:05 am »
I am still reading some of the junior high level books to give a yay of nay to ... so far I have just read the historical fiction based on true events ... just finished an account of a girl who survived Katrina ...have about 20 to go ...

after what happened with Sarah I feel kinda funny reading the books and giving my opinion ... some of the books do have some violence in them but it true to life violence and is not the main theme of the book ...just part of the story ... I am going to read A Friendship For Today ... a fictional work about a black girl entering school as the only black , set in mid 50's ... it is based on the authors experience as the only black child in her 6th grade class ... I am sure there are going to be tense moments in the book but not saturated ...

does this make sense ??? I don't want to be seen as a judge and jury of what books will be picked to be ordered in multiples ... I want to be seen as a parent that cares what the kids read ... not just my child but those around her... I am at school enough to watch the kids change and act out what they see on TV , in movies or read in books ... and it seems that they prefer to act out bad parts more so than possitive ones .... the teachers polled parents at conferences and found that around 90% didn't know what their kids were reading and as long as they got their AR points they didn't care   ... most parents are not involves with their kids schooling enough ... maybe I am too involved ... I look at their numbers but I also look at my kids and watch how they get to those numbers ... one parent on survey said as long as her child maintained a 70 , C , average they didn't get involved .

I don't oppose books like the Hunger Games ... I read them ... they were engaging but at same time I didn't particularly like them ...again I will sat that I believe that my experience living through a school shooting where the shooter was at my house handing me a cupcake and 3 days later was  turning the corner to become a murderer colors my view on kid on kid violence … I oppose a child being forced to read a book that upsets them and I oppose kids that are too young reading material that is not age appropriate  ( case point my now 9 year old granddaughter who read the Twilight books at 7 )  … my granddaughter could read the words and knew what was being said but at 7 does she need to be reading books that are extremely violent or with strong sexual content ? … my DIL said if she could read the words she could read it …my son said she should wait … he lost … now we have a 9 year old that pops off with inappropriate subject matter at family gatherings describing things she shouldn’t know because she has been over exposed too soon …

OK … getting off my soap box … this is a subject that has been going since books were printed … at least I have never burned a book … or banned one … have marked some that were slated for younger readers as wait a year or 2 … dang it … still have one foot on the box   ;D :-X
Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1949 on: October 12, 2012, 12:27:32 pm »
Almost done w/Insurgent.  Not as good as Divergent, but definitely worth the read.

Not sure when book 3 will be out.  Anyone know?

Jan