Author Topic: BAHA  (Read 3983 times)

Catflower

BAHA
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:29:39 pm »
I've posted in the past that I was considering getting the TransEar, but I've now decided to be evaluated (appointment is March 3) for a BAHA.  It just sounds like that would fit my lifestyle better.

Wish me luck and keep posting your experiences with BAHA.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 01:13:06 pm »
Good luck, Catflower.

I am having BAHA surgery on March 4th.  I'll let you know how it goes.

I tried the demo and thought it was absolutely incredible.  I hope I'm not disappointed in the real thing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

1wareagle

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 01:15:55 pm »
Good Luck Catflower in your quest to hear again! I have never tried the Transear,but many on here have, but I do have the BAHA. I would be lost without some kind of help on my deaf side. For me the BAHA has worked out great. It takes time to get used to but it really helps me out. Being SSD is the pits and I say do what ever it takes to hear again!

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Catflower

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:08:24 am »
For those of you who have the BAHA I have a couple of questions.  How big is the abutment (the thing in your head) and about how big is the processor.  I'm thinking ahead about my hairstyle.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:38:06 am »
Catflower,

The abuttment is probably about the size of a pencil eraser  - it's not big at all and doesn't stick out.   The BAHA comes with a little cover to put over the abuttment when you're not wearing the processor that matches your hair to hide it, but I've never needed it.  The processor is actually smaller than I thought it would be, but I guess there may be some difference depending on the model you get.  I have the Divino, which is roughly the size of a piece of Bazooka bubble gum.  Do they still make that?  Sorry, I'm not good at measurements - I just like to compare it to something most people would know about.

My hair is not long, not quite shoulder length - and the processor is completely covered.  And it's brown, so as long as I keep coloring my hair, I guess it will continue to blend in.  Someday i guess I'll have to give in and get the gray one... :'(

I have some pictures of the processor around here somewhere.  If I can figure out where they are, I'll send them to you.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:32:04 pm »
Good luck, Catflower.

I am having BAHA surgery on March 4th.  I'll let you know how it goes.

I tried the demo and thought it was absolutely incredible.  I hope I'm not disappointed in the real thing.

Jan

Where id you have this "demo" leapyrtwins ?
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 08:30:55 pm »
ixta -

I had the demo at my neurotologist's office a few months post op; it's basically the BAHA on an elastic headband.  Obviously, it's not exactly the same as having the abutment attached to your head, but it's the best way they can simulate it and give you some idea how it will work. 

Once I had the headband on, my doc told me to plug my "good" ear with my finger and then he talked to me in a soft, quiet voice.  Amazingly enough, I could actually hear him.  It was kind of freaky after hearing nothing in my deaf ear for a few months, but I really liked it.  I was quite impressed.

If the real thing works half as well as the demo, I'll be very happy.

Jan 
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Catflower

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 01:00:46 pm »
Catflower,

The abuttment is probably about the size of a pencil eraser  - it's not big at all and doesn't stick out.   The BAHA comes with a little cover to put over the abuttment when you're not wearing the processor that matches your hair to hide it, but I've never needed it.  The processor is actually smaller than I thought it would be, but I guess there may be some difference depending on the model you get.  I have the Divino, which is roughly the size of a piece of Bazooka bubble gum.  Do they still make that?  Sorry, I'm not good at measurements - I just like to compare it to something most people would know about.

My hair is not long, not quite shoulder length - and the processor is completely covered.  And it's brown, so as long as I keep coloring my hair, I guess it will continue to blend in.  Someday i guess I'll have to give in and get the gray one... :'(

I have some pictures of the processor around here somewhere.  If I can figure out where they are, I'll send them to you.

Lori

Actually they do still make Bazooka bubble gum so your description was quite helpful.  I'm in the same place with my hair color.  Currently coloring every 6 weeks to cover the gray.  I've tried several times to quit, but I never make it.

lori67

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 02:48:16 pm »
My family thinks I'm crazy because I always color my hair the night before a surgery.  You just never know when you'll get to color it again!  Fortunately, I was always healed well enough to color it again before it got REALLY bad.  Although right after the initial AN surgery, I don't think I would have cared much if my hair was purple with orange polka dots.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has her priorities straight around here!  Ha ha!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

1wareagle

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:10:26 pm »
Lori,
     You ladies are so lucky that you can cover your BAHA up with hair.  I used to worry about what people thought but now I could care less. I get lots of looks when I go out to eat but now it's just funny watching their reactions. Ever now and then someone will get brave enough to ask "What is that on you head?" but most of the time they  just stare. Before my AN surgery I would have never thought of wearing a BAHA. Now that I am deaf in one ear it has put a lots of things in prospective.

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 11:19:01 pm »
Catflower & Lori -

Funny you guys should mention coloring your hair.

I decided to stop coloring mine a few months ago in anticipation of my BAHA, mainly because I have no idea if or when "coloring" is allowed post BAHA surgery.  And, yes, those are the only two questions I am just too vain to ask my doc  ;D

When I scheduled the surgery, they had to order the device and asked me what color to order.  I said brown, at least for now, but I may have to change that to gray in the next few years.  It's strange, I don't really have that many gray hairs for someone my age (46 1/2), but my soon-to-be 12 year old daughter is very concerned about when I'm going to color my hair again.  It seems that the gray really bothers her  LOL

Ellis -

I am SO happy to read your comment about putting things in perspective.  When I first mentioned BAHA and explained what it was to my parents, they were very much against it.  It seems they were highly concerned that with such an "appliance" on my head I would never remarry (let's overlook the fact that I have absolutely no intention of getting married again).  They were very caught up in "what will potential mates think of this".  I basically told them that I felt the BAHA was right for me and that I really didn't care what others thought about it.  And furthermore, if someone wouldn't marry me (or date me) because I had a BAHA, I wouldn't waste my time with that person. That pretty much stopped them in their tracks and they have never again mentioned that they thought a BAHA was a bad idea for me.

Jan