Author Topic: WHAT I DID TO KEEP MY EYE CLOSED AT NIGHT AND IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 17749 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

I TRIED TAPING, PATCHING, GAUZE BUNDLED UP IN A PIRATE PATCH AND MY EYE WOULD STILL POP OPEN EVEN WITH ALL OF THIS AND I WOULD WAKE UP WITH A RED EYE FROM AIR EXPOSURE AND DRYING OUT. I AM A TENNIS PLAYER AND WHAT WORKED FOR ME WAS TAKING MY WHITE TENNIS STRETCHY SWEAT BAND FOR THE FOREHEAD AND PULLING IT DOWN OVER MY EYES. BOTH OF THEM. I WOULD MANUALLY CLOSE THE BAD EYE AND BRING THE TERRY CLOTH SWEATBAND OVER BOTH EYES AND IT WOULD TIGHT ENOUGH THAT IT KEPT THE EYE CLOSED ALL NIGHT AND IT WAS VERY COMFORTABLE. NO MORE TAPE TO PULL OFF IN THE MORNING! YOU CAN BUY THESE AT WALMART OR ANY SPORTS STORE. I BOUGHT THE WIDEST ONE I COULD FIND AND SOME FIT TIGHTER THAN OTHERS SO BUY SEVERAL UNTIL YOU FIND ONE THAT IS COMFY. THIS SOUNDS CRAZY BUT I AM A REGISTERED NURSE FOR 13 YEARS AND HAVE FOUND THAT SOME OF THE BEST TREATMENTS ARE THE ONES THAT WE COME UP WITH OURSELVES! IT WORKED BEAUTIFULLY FOR ME AND I HOPE IT WILL HELP ANYONE ELSE THAT HAS A STUBBORN PARALYZED EYE THAT WON'T CLOSE DURING SLEEP. I NOW HAVE THE WEIGHT IN MY EYE SO I DON'T USE IT ANYMORE. GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW IF IT HELPS ANYONE ELSE. I FOUND IT A BLESSING.
CROOKEDSMILE.

lori67

Re: WHAT I DID TO KEEP MY EYE CLOSED AT NIGHT AND IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:30:12 am »
Crooked - that sounds like a great idea.  I don't really have a big problem that the gel can't handle at night, but I know others will find it helpful.

I'm a nurse too - which of course means you have to be like MacGyver and very creative sometimes.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JDaner

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:31:10 am »
Hello,

Great tip.  Between sheer exhaustion and my gold weight I also get by with the gel...lots of it.  I want to know how you play tennis.  Do you have to clear all the gel or are you playing "one eyed"?  I have to clear my eye 1/2 hour before I play.  And inevitably some goo will pop up in my line of vision just as the the ball is coming at me.   

Jeanette

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:46:11 pm »
Caution
I would be cautious as the cornea could be scratched by the headband. I think patients should use the ointment (lacrilube etc) and a clean bubble patch at night until they get an eye weight. My ophthalmologist cringed that some surgeons are still recommending that patients tape the eye shut. Tape (and possibly the headband) could slip in the night and scratch the cornea while you are sleeping.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:55:01 pm »
Hello All~
I was going to add to PLEASE do NOT ever use a guaze patch.  That is how my eye intially got so scratched that I had to have it sewn shut.  That was back before they knew not to do that.  My eye would pop open, no matter what we would do to try to keep it closed so the guaze patch would scratch it.  I have never used the bubble, but I would recommend that or a "pirate" patch (it is shaped so it doesn't touch your eye).
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 02:12:46 pm »
i don't play tennis anymore. i can't hardly balance since the mvd. Walking in itself is hard enough without falling over!
crookedsmile

Catflower

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 03:25:14 pm »
I used "Press and Seal" wrap.  It worked well for me.  It kept my eyelid closed and didn't hurt when I took it off.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 05:12:33 pm »
I use the NitEye 'bubble bandage':  It's a hard plastic bubble with adhesive all around it - it makes a moisture chamber for nighttime use.
It is expensive, but I got so tired of using saran wrap & tape every night, I find this is less time consuming.  One lasts 2 nights
(if I'm careful).
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis