Author Topic: I can't remember!!! (BAHA)  (Read 7244 times)

trhoads

Re: I can't remember!!! (BAHA)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 02:14:52 am »
I was able to wash my hair 48 hours post-op.  (I wouldn't last 3 weeks either!) 

I guess my surgical crew was pretty good to me, because they lifted my hair up, put the dressing on, and then flipped my hair down over the dressing.  However, you could see the dressing through my bangs across my forehead.  I went out to lunch with my husband after leaving the recovery room.

danijake

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 01:14:27 pm »
okay! I can wash my hair now!!!! ;D That white thingy was just a healing cap. I go Monday morning for the processor!!! I'm excited. I just have to put neosporin on the abutment every day. That's cool 8)

Walmart isn't very understanding. I think I'll wait for them to fire me. My sister needs a nanny anyway. I'm thinking about doing that. She'll pay me $200.00 a week and my son and I get our own rooms. That sounds like a plan to me!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 07:54:11 pm »
Dani -

you're getting your processor already!!!  How exciting.

How long has it been since your surgery?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 09:59:48 pm »
Frankenstein cleaning his neck bolts, Steve ???

I thought it sounded a little more like the Bionic Woman  ;D

I'm very much looking forward to my new "technology" - and to my own toothbrush scrubbing.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 10:18:25 am »
Hey, even Frankenstein liked to be clean!  Gotta do what you can to keep those bolts sparkly!!

I don't know what kind of bandage your doctors use, but mine didn't wrap around my head.  It actually looked more like a wad of gauze that was sewn to my head. (you know, the more I type about this, the weirder it sounds!!).  It was maybe 2 inches long and an inch across, held in place with thick sutures (they sewed it up like when you get a cake from the bakery and they tie it with that string).  I was able to get it wet and my hair was just long enough to cover it so no one even noticed it.  After a couple of days, the bandage starts to shrink and then my husband was able to cut the "bakery string" and remove the bandage.  The healing cap stayed in place until I went back for my post op appointment.

Dani, that's great news about your processor.  I had to wait until 8 weeks after my surgery to get mine.  It hasn't been 8 weeks for you already, has it???

And Jan, I like the Bionic Woman comparison better too.  She was much better looking than Frankenstein!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 02:17:48 pm »
Oh, if Steve is still reading this thread, he's going to have a field day with the "bakery strings" LOL

My doc said I can expect a mastoid bandage - like the one I had after my AN surgery - that needs to stay on for 24 hours.  Underneath it there will be a smaller bandage on the abutment site and I can't remember how long it will be with me.  I haven't seen him since September so our conversation about all the details is kind of foggy in my mind. 

Eight weeks for the processor to be attached ???  That's great!  My doc makes patients wait 12, but he strikes me as a very cautious guy, so that kind of makes sense. 

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 11:04:48 pm »
Oh, if Steve is still reading this thread, he's going to have a field day with the "bakery strings" LOL

Wouldn't miss it for the world.  ;)

Wad of gauze with cake string sutures. Hmm, not bad. But no, I'll stick with the toothbrush and the dish soap shampoo for now...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 10:26:38 am »
But now you'll never brush your teeth, wash your dishes or buy a cake without thinking of me!   ;D

Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Don

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 11:22:48 am »
 I had not gotten a haircut for over a year when I went in so I took a volley ball and cut it in half and wore it on my head to the hospital? LOL it drove em nuts so they made a whack job at the site and when I woke up the long hair in the back covered it, I really get mad at the fact they like you naked in a paper gown no matter what they do its part of the process of humiliating you no matter what they say or where they are working they say its to prevent germs? Well if I ever go back in I will demand that my surgical team be naked as I dont know if they are wearing clean underwear or not? They need me naked to cut my head open? Just like when I turned 40 they all wanted to stick stuff in my butt? No way, sure wish they would focus on the other end, your brain shuts down the butt follows quite simple IMHO

Laurie

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 06:48:55 pm »
I had my BAHA in January 2007 and I still have numbness.  Some of it has gone, but some remains.  Is your head numb anywhere?
I wonder if it will ever totally go away.

Laurie

danijake

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 11:00:33 pm »
My head is completely numb. Wel, the whole left side. It hurts to wash & brush my hair. I can't wear the hearing aid because it gives me a headache.