Author Topic: Hopeful video about balance rehab developments!  (Read 4696 times)

ZigZagGal

Hopeful video about balance rehab developments!
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:51:27 pm »
Hi all, 
Changed my user name.  I am still me (Tracie), just wanted something more interesting.  The new name fits my tendency to change my mind a lot (a gemini, what can I say?) and my current dizzy brain. 

A friend at work sent me this link showing new technology being tried to teach the brain to use one sense to compensate for another.  The first 2/3 of this video is about a blind man using the sense of touch to "see".  The last third shows how a woman with complete vestibular loss "rewired" her brain using a helmet contraption that gave her vestibular information through touch.   She is now able to ride a bike!  Looks like it is still in the developmental stages, but wow,what a godsend that could be. 

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/video/286-mixed_feelings_.html

I found this video to be very uplifting.  I am a wait and watcher with a tiny AN and a lot to be thankful for, but the balance issues of the last 6 months have really been wearing me down.   Vestibular rehab has been gradually making a difference, but the road has been very rocky  (no pun intended).  A few weeks ago I experienced a "drastic improvement".  I almost felt almost normal again, for two days.  Then I had a setback that sent me back to square one.  Seeing this woman "liberated" was very touching to me.  It gave the extra motivation to keep doing my exercises and pushing it every day.  I know I'll get back to where I was again and maybe stay there longer. 

Tracie

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Gandhi

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Hopeful video about balance rehab developments!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:33:47 am »
Thanks for sharing this video link. I have just shared it with some others via the link in an e-mail.

Very interesting stuff is this neuroscience… this whole AN journey has actually been quite fascinating.

Keep moving forward,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 07:50:36 pm »
I shared your link and in turn the “Brainport� technology info was shared with me- specifically. Check out these web links on the topic. The New York Times article is about the vestibular patient depicted in the video you shared specifically.

http://www.wicab.us/

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/23/science/23sens.html

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/research/brainport-tm.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainport

Incredibly interesting stuff this is. As my teenager would say, “this is so totally way cool!�
 8)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

ZigZagGal

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 01:51:51 pm »
Thanks for the links 4.  I checked them out and they are totally way, way cool!   I discovered a resource in Minneapolis that I didn't know about before from the Veda site  - the Neuroscience Institute at Abbott NW Hospital.  I'm happy with my vestibular therapist, but it is nice to know that there are other options. 
Be well,
Tracie
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Gandhi

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 05:40:19 pm »
Thank you so much Tracy - I really enjoyed watching the video. 

4 - I checked your follow-up sites,  thank you also!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ernie h

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 03:27:50 pm »
thank you very intriguing.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:52:21 pm »
Has anyone heard an estimate from the manufacturer of when they expect/hope to go to market with the BrainPort? I'd love to get one of these!!!!

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08