Author Topic: Translab Surgery In Toledo,Ohio An Drs.  (Read 4220 times)

Razor

Translab Surgery In Toledo,Ohio An Drs.
« on: February 14, 2008, 01:12:58 am »
 ??? Morning all, I hope everyone is safe and happy. Well I just had my second MRI to see if my tumor has grown and it has. My question is has anyone on this web site had a translab operation in one of the Toledo,Ohio hospitals and with what ENT Doctors an what Neurosurgens Droctors???? I have done 4 consults with ENT an Neurosurgens  and am finding not a very possitive experience. Every time I asked the dreded questions of HOW MANY TRANSLAB SURGERYS HAVE THEY DONE OF THE TYPE NEEDED FOR MY TUMOR? an WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR RATE OF SURGICAL COMPLICATION WITH RESPECT TO INFECTION, BLEEDING, CSF LEAK AND HEADACHE??? All four Drs. seem to take an offense to the questions, an that dosent leave a possitive taste in my mouthAll Drs. have said this does need to be done very soon cosidering the size it is now. Please, if anyone has feedback I would be very thankful because I really need some SUNSHINE, Thanks fellow forum readers and have a safe and happy weekend and THINK NO SNOW!!!

Melissa778

Re: Translab Surgery In Toledo,Ohio An Drs.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 10:01:59 am »
Good Morning Razor, I too was just diagnosed with AN.  I currently live in the Toledo area and am just beginning to see Neurologists, Neurosurgeons, etc.  My family doctor seemed to not know much about AN or who to send me to so it's been a bit of a wild goose chase.  I have yet to see an ENT, but I do go to my first appt. with a Neurosurgeon today....Dr.Zakeri (same office as Spetka, Hoeflinger at Toledo Clinic) I'm curious to see who you are seeing and what you are finding out if you care to share.  Also, if you don't mind my asking, what is the size of your AN?  THe only thing I have learned so far is that my AN in 1.6cm X 1.6cm.....no one has been able to offer me any other info.  Here's to hoping Dr. Zakeri can she d some light today.
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Mama R

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 10:13:19 am »
Razor/Daydreamer/Ohioins...I am from Akron, Ohio and was diagnosed with 1/2 in AN on Jan22nd. I have done some footwork and opted not to go with the ENT that my doctor recommended in Chagrin Falls. I wanted to go where I felt very confident in the doctor and that meant someone who has alot of experience specifially with AN's. I found that Ohio University, Dr Welling & Universtiy of Cincinnati, Dr Pensak.I visited both this past week and am scheduling with Pensak in Cincinnati. I know it seems far to travel but to me it is worth a little inconvenience. I don't have their numbers right her but  you can google them. Best of Luck to you!
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 10:20:15 am »
I  know of a lady who is in the Bowling Green area who is wait and watch and has done some research.   I will check with her and if it is ok with her send you her email address via the personal message link.     She was at last summers AN symposium.     I know of another person who now lives in the same area but he had his 2001 surgery at University of Iowa where I go.   He did well.   He lived in New York at the time.  He travels alot and may not be around at the moment.
   At the Univ of Iowa,the neurotolgist does the tumor removal and the current Fellow in neurotolgy does the rest of the surgery.  The open and shut part.
              Good luck to you.                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 02:22:09 pm »
I saw Dr Megerian at University Hospital Cleveland and I highly recommend him. He is an excellent surgeon and very personable. I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

I have *met* other patients who went to the Clinic and were not impressed with the bedside manner of the docs but the surgeries were excellent.

Good luck
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 04:59:39 pm »
All I know is from friends here who are doctors and my original doctor/surgeon  -- they all said that any Dr. worth ANYTHING (& truly confident in their skills) will OPENLY WELCOME questions &/or second opinions b/c they feel so strongly in their assesment.  I have always gone with that & run as fast as I could if it was any other way!!
good Luck in the Ohio search!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Razor

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:02:30 am »
 ;D  Good morning Daydreamer, I went to the Cleveland Clinic Monday morning an talked to Dr Jaung Lee an believe me I waqs very impressed with how he handled my concern over my tumo9r. It started out at 2.6cm X2.1cm X2.5cm when I had my first MRI in January of 2007. I had a follow up on January 17,2008 an found it had grown to 3.3cm X 2.2cm X 2.9cm. We talked for a good hour an he helped me to understand a lot of things. I am not a surgen but I would think that as small as your tumor is they would probably do the surgurey with a one inch opening behind the ear. I was really impressed with my time with him and he answerede all my questions with no heasitations. Plus he is the head of the brain an cancer department. Good luck and i hope all goes well.

Melissa778

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:30:59 am »
Razor....you don't know how reassured I feel reading this.  I am scheduled to see Dr. Lee on Monday the 3rd.  It always helps to hear from someone who has seen a Dr. you'll be seeing.  Best of luck to you, thanks for the response :)
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(