Author Topic: TAPING THE EYE  (Read 14669 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
TAPING THE EYE
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:25:33 pm »
For those of you who 'tape' your eye at night, could you give me directions on how you do it, & does your eye stay shut?

I don't know if it's because my paralysis is 'total' or what, but in the past I've tried to tape my eye to no avail. 
I've tried both paper & clear tape.  Made a cross, diagonal, along the lashes , etc.,  but my eyelid always tends to 'open' up.

I'd like to know if there's a 'secret' to the taping....     Thanks,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

Re: TAPING THE EYE
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:20:35 pm »
Hi Nancy,

When I was still taping my eye at night I used a clear shield with small holes in it that I got in the hospital.  I put saran wrap over that.  I taped it around the sides.  The plastic bubble was helpful because I have no feeling so I couldn't feel if it opened.  I would think that your doctor would be able to help you find a clear plastic bubble.  That part is reuseable night after night.

Hope this or other advice helps you.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 05:42:31 am »
Hi there Jean:  Thankyou for the reply.   I wear the 'bubble comforter' at night -  I'm interested in switching over to taping instead of the bubble.
Seems when I change positions during sleep, the bubble smushes into my face, wakes me up.   
I'd like to be able to switch back & forth from bubble to tape, only I can't get the tape to keep my eye closed,
so I wonder how people apply the tape so that their eye stays shut...
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:42:05 am »
Nancy,  I didn't have any luck with the tape either.  I'm pretty sure I could have used duct tape and my eye would still open.  I used the pain in the neck bubble until I got to the point where I could close some and then i'd just put in a gallon of eye goop.  I usually wake up a few times during the night anyway, so at that point, I put in more drops.

I would say to check with your eye doctor to find the right way to do it.  i know if you do it the wrong way, you can cause more harm than good, and I know you've already had enough eye issues.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

amymeri

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 02:45:32 pm »
I have been taping for almost 2 years and these methods work for me...but everyone is a little different

I use regular bandaids.  First I lubricate my eye.  Then I close it and the lube sort of glues it shut.  With my eye shut I firmly bandaid my lid, straight across the middle (nose to temple) with the no stick pad placed over the actual lid.

Other things that have worked well are 2x3 tegaderm sheets.  That's like sticky saran wrap and it keeps my eye really closed.

Lots of lubrication really helps to glue the lid closed.

Good luck!
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 06:33:52 pm »
Well, I tried the bandaids - my eyelid doesn't stay shut.   Never heard of tegaderm, but will keep a look out for them next time I'm at the drugstore.
I guess severity of paralysis has something to do with 'what works for some doesn't necessarliy work for others.'  Well, gave it the old college try.
When I told my opthamologist yesterday that my eye doesn't stay closed with tape (after he told me to tape the eye if the bubble is bothering me), he just looked at me with the ' I understand' look.

So, I'll continue with the bubble every night until I see the eye surgeon in March. (I'm lucky to have found them in the 1st place, making the moisture shield
with saran wrap was tedious & time consuming).

Thanks everyone for the replies,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

vcschaub

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:35:50 pm »
When my facial weakness set in (10 days after surgery), I could not close my eye. My opthalmologist told me to keep my eye taped shut and then proceeded to demonstrate to my husband how to do it. She pulled the lower lid out and gooped it up with ointment. She then pulled the upper lid over the lower lid and placed an eye patch (a cotton circle made for eyes) firmly over the eye, keeping pressure so that the eye stayed shut. She then placed tape over it, telling us to place the tape, so that it actually pulled the cheek up. There were two pieces of tape in a criss cross. I eventually could do it myself. The trick seemed to be that when placing the patch over the extended upper lid, there be enough pressure to keep the eye shut, while placing the tape over it. I don't know if this explanation is clear enough and it actually would take several tries before we got it right. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:37:28 pm by vcschaub »
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 04:04:57 pm »
Hi there V - I understand perfectly what you're saying to do.    I'm going to try it this weekend so I can take my time.
Thanks,  Nancy

hey V - I just tried to pull my upper lid over the lower lid, the lids only just meet - maybe the upper lid was shortened a little during my recent surgery?
Well, this being the case, what worked for you won't work for me.  But I DO appreciate the suggestion very much!  Thank you,  Nancy
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 05:50:45 pm by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

chrissmom

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 07:01:45 pm »
Hi Nancyann...
My heart goes out to you as you are still experiencing eye problems.  I think maybe Chris told you that he has had problems lately.  We thought it was pink eye but it was "dry eye".  All the studying and computer work he is doing in college is causing problems. He had a few stitches taken last week to partially close the eye.  (It wasn't closing all the way.)  After the red eye clears up he is scheduled for another surgery to raise the lower lid.

Are you going thru eye-drops ?  We find Genteal gel (severe) to be good.  I can't believe how expensive eye drops are !!!
Rita

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 07:13:19 pm »
Hey Rita:  Good to hear from you.   Well, yes, the eye issues are a bummer, aren't they?   I recently had surgery to correct my facial 'droop' (the pictures of before/after
are at Facial Issuies: Post Temporalis Tendon Transfer).  Anyway,  I've heard of 2 surgeons so far (I'm sure there are more), who put in either cartilage from the ear or a piece of the upper palate from the mouth (an eye doc in Miami), & it helps keep the lower lid from drooping.   I've had the lower lid pulled up 3 times now.

I am following my doc's (& Tony's!) advice to 'hold the blink' as often as I can remember to - this helps protect the cornea.  When I blink hard my eye doesn't close all the way but I have the Bell's phenomenon where my eyeball roll's up & the cornea is protected.   Maybe Chris can try to remember to close his eye & hold it.   I've been doing it alot lately & it has helped.  Saw my opthomologist this past Tues, & my cornea isn't as dry as it was last month.

Please give Chris my best - I hope the doc that's doing the surgery is one of the one's who knows to add cartilage, etc. - next time I need the lid pulled up I'm going to have that done.

Yes, I use Refresh PM lubricant about every 2-4 hours - that's also why I have no cornea damage yet (even though my eyesight in the right is 20/70 from the lubricant! - good thing my left eye is at 20/25!).

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

chrissmom

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 01:58:43 pm »
Hi Nancyann,
Chris had another setback.  The  stitches broke.  The eye is red again.  The surgery is Friday and the description you mentioned sounds like what the doctor wants to do.  The poor kid is having such a rough time.  He is trying hard to keep the cornea moist with drops.  We called the dr. yesterday and they didn't think his condition would worsen before the surgery.  Dr. Beatty is one of the best eye surgeons in the country, so I trust him.  He is also the doctor that performed the gold weight surgery after Chris had his tumor removed.  I hope this will solve his problems.

You look great.  Chris had some good news last week from the facial nerve center but he still has along way to go.
Rita

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 03:02:45 pm »
Hey Rita:  So sorry to hear what's happening to Chris - jeez louise;    I hope the doc does put something in the lower lid to keep it from
sagging again - as I said that's what I want done the next time I need 'a lift.'

You know,  I never use drops, it's always lubricant - Refresh PM lubricant is the only one that works for me (even though it leaves me with 20/70 vision out of the right eye).  Maybe that's why I haven't had any damage to the cornea yet.  + every time I remember I hold the blink so my cornea is covered.   Yes, see if Chris has the bell's phenomenon.

Do you know if the stitches broke because of the upper eyelid pulling 'up' due to the paralysis? or how come the stitches broke?

I now have the platinum chain in & you wouldn't even know it's there - much flatter than the gold weight.   Just an FYI in case Chris wants to ask the doc about
changing to the platinum while he's having the sugery.....

I'll keep Chris (& you) in my thoughts & prayers.  So the surgery is 2/1/08?

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 03:28:36 pm by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

chrissmom

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 04:07:36 pm »
We aren't sure how the stitches broke.  Now we need to constantly keep the eye moist until Friday. i'll let you know about the "lift"...hey maybe we could all use one... ::)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 04:35:08 pm »
Rita: That's so weird about the stitches -  I'll keep good thoughts for Chris this coming week.
Let us know how it goes.    Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis