Author Topic: Balance training  (Read 6113 times)

jerseygirl

Balance training
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:59:49 am »
Hi, everybody,

There was an article today about balance training and PT. This reminds me of the vestibular retraining I have done after my second AN surgery. I did not stop doing the exercises after I was discharged and my balance keeps improving. My PT said that in other people (not ANers), everything is better on their dominant side, including balance. My dominant side is right, the same one as AN, and,  before the second surgery, my balance was better on this side. After the second surgery, my balance on the side took a huge  dive and is becoming better than my non-dominant side again after 6 1/2 months.

The article talks about the test for balance and  the age-related norms. Both were applied by my PT for vestibular retraining, and that is how I measure my balance every day.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/93925.php

Hope you find it interesting!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Charlotte Lady

Re: Balance training
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:20:08 pm »
well I made it 4 seconds on my right leg and 2 on my left leg before I had to catch myself with my bent leg.  Ugh.

I just started an exercise regime for increasing my endurance (tae bo).  Hopefully the kicking will help on the balance thing. 

Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:50:04 pm »
I would do much better if it didn't say "close your eyes."  It must be important.  When I was in vestibular rehab, many of my exercises were done with my eyes closed.  I shall continue to challenge myself.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:19:46 pm »
I just started vestibular rehabilitation at a PT office last week. The worst exercise for me is standing heal to toe, crossing my arms and moving my head back and forth with my eyes closed.

I want to fall right over... :D

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 09:10:17 pm »
Dan,

I just had to try standing heal to toe, arms crossed and eye closed moving my head back and forth.  I have to say before I did it, I thought it would be easy for me.  Not so easy.  I'm going to keep practicing.  Guess my balance still could use work.  lol

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »
Dan and Jean,

I thought we, ANers , compensate through vision. My PT had me stand on one leg with my eyes opened, not closed. I can stand on my bad side now 45 sec with my eyes open but only 6 sec with my eyes closed. That is quite a difference! Anybody is better?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 04:51:22 am »
I can stand 30 -45 seconds on either leg with eyes open but only 5 or 6 without
tipping with eyes closed

As for heel / toe arms crossed and eyes closed...almost instantaneous tippage...another bad
one is standing with feet firmly together, arms at side, tilt head back and close eyes...makes me
want to fall flat on my back...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:42:08 am »
When I took the girls to school I conducted a test with teachers and the school nurse as my
subjects... had them try and all could stand indefinately on one leg with eyes open... but when
they closed their eyes they didn't do so great... most were wobble free for around 15 seconds
with one going 30 seconds before having to catch themselves with other leg...

Same with heel toe thing... they did go longer than I can but still tip with in a minute

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 09:07:32 am »
That's why cops have you do all that standing on one leg stuff for sobriety tests. It's hard enough for a sober person to perform well. If one's had a few drinks....well...

The walking heel to toe on a straight line isn't too bad until you have to turn around. When I was young and frequenting " water holes" I used to practice that walk and turn. It did pay off once too... ;D

My balance seems to be the worse when my feet are lined up heel to toe. If I have to suddenly back up or shift and my feet end up that way I get a little wobbly.

Dan 
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

ZigZagGal

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 02:25:41 pm »
Standing on right leg, eyes open - 10 seconds, on left leg - 30+ (weird!?).  Eyes closed - less than 5 seconds for both. 
Wow .  This is really interesting, and humbling!  Thanks for the reference.
I am a wait and watcher, tiny AN on Rt.  My primary problem is constant dizziness/imbalance. I have been dizzy for 5 months and in vestibular rehab for 3 months and finally feel like I am getting somewhere.  I can now walk down the corridors at work, more than 2 feet from the wall,  without feeling like I'm going to fall over.  There are 2 exercises that have helped me the most.  I call one the  "no-no" exercise:   I stand with hands at my sides (and a chair behind, just in case) facing the wall, about 18" away.  I fix my gaze on a small spot on the wall between my nose and my chin with my chin tucked slightly down. Then I keep my gaze on that spot and shake my head "no-no" rapidly for as long as I can stand it.  I am up to a minute now without the chair!  (Just don't talk to me afterwards for a while ;)) The second exercise is similar, looking quickly right,left,up and down as I am walking down a corridor.  That one is quite challenging, but getting easier.   
My OT gave me an assignment to go shopping more, because that is one of the most challenging activities for me. I never thought anyone would tell me to do more shopping lol! 
Something else I found that seems to help is doing those "search and find" puzzles where they show two pictures that look alike, but have subtle differences.  You have to scan back and forth many times to find them.  That used to make me quite queasy and now it is do-able. 

Hope people are keeping warm out there.  It has been in the 30's below zero here (windchill) for the last few days .BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR  If anyone wants to  send some sunshine and warmth MN way, that would be much appreciated!
Steady as she goes,
Tracie
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Gandhi

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 02:42:38 pm »
Tracie,

I'm going to have to try the "No-No" exercise! Kinda like the "wonky head strut" in that as you walk, you slowly work your head from side to side (instead of real fast).  I do it when walking the dog, as she also pulls me one way or another and forces me to counteract her pull action.

No one ask me to do the heel-toe... I flunk it everytime with my neurooncologist, etc... can't do it at all.....

BTW, someone send warm weather to Boston... thankyouverymuch! Go Pats!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jerseygirl

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 08:02:59 pm »
I also conducted the test with the non-AN subject, my husband in this case. He is right side dominant and he coud stand 15 sec wtih  his eyes closed on the right side and 12 sec on the left. He is 51 and used to be very athletic before his back gave out on him. It is interesting how our balance compares to that of non-ANers.

I added to my balance training some of the exercises suggested by fellow ANers. Naturally, I am going shopping tomorrow just to improve my balance! ;D

Eve

LADavid

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 02:23:05 pm »
Thanks for the new exercises.  I get tired of the old ones.  I find that I can progress quickly on anything with my eyes opened.  I think leg strength compensates for a lot.  But as soon as my eyes are closed (have to put a patch over the AN eye)...I lose it.  I just tried the heal-toe, arms crossed, moving head.  That's a tough one.  I make it as far as moving my head once.  I'm working on that more.

And Phyl -- as a former Pittsburgher -- you have my sympathies.  It's going to be 79 here today.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments