Author Topic: What kind of support/help can I give as a wife of an AN patient?  (Read 1935 times)

wifeofanpatient

My husband is 2 years post op. (Surgery at Mt. Siani). He was doing O.K. until rear ended in a can accident.  His headaches which were getting better have been constant since the accident.  We are trying to work on solutions to that.  I want to know how I can help someone who is now deaf in one ear, constant tinniitus, among other side effects.  I don't know what kind of world AN survivors live in and want some way to relate to it and am seeking ways that I can make his life better.Any suggestions?

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: What kind of support/help can I give as a wife of an AN patient?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 08:30:20 am »
BAHA hearing aid would help his atitude! .. I get mine in a few weeks ... and can't wait .. lack of hearing on my right side is driving me nuts .... that is unless I dont want to watch TV in bed with my wife, I can turn down my good ear and not hear it ;-)

She still forgets that I can't hear on that side and she should not sit there when we go out to eat! I've made people move more that once ... when I get the BAHA I wont have to that ...

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kathleen_Mc

Re: What kind of support/help can I give as a wife of an AN patient?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 12:13:40 pm »
The best place to start is to ask your husband what he want or expects of you. I'm trying to think  (remember) what I felt like at two years post-op from my first resection and it is difficult (13 years ago). I remember feeling very hurt early on in my husband and my relationship, I kept the baby moniter turned up high because I sleep on my good ear and I was the one to respond most nights, I guess he found the "white noise" irritating and turned it right down, forgetting about my hearing, I got up and turned it up and everytime I turned it up that night he got upset and after a few times at this he got agitated and started yelling, I got upset and started yelling, we weren't married at this point and I basically told him if he can't stand living with the necessary habits of a hearing impaired person he should get out. Try your best to be mindful of his hearing loss and stand on his good side (or sit) etc, also it might be needed that he talk to a doctor (family doctor will do) about how he feels about all this, many people don't realise how much this experience has affected them emotionally. , let him be the one to adjust the level of noise on the t.v., if it's too loud for you maybe he could bet a set of headphones, my father's don't interupt with my mother hearing the t.v. the usual way. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)