Author Topic: Surgery on 6/27/07 at SBI - 6 months update  (Read 2419 times)

jerseygirl

Surgery on 6/27/07 at SBI - 6 months update
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:28:07 pm »
Here is my 6 month update.

Brief history: recurrent rt AN, 2.5 cm from IAC but 3.3 x 1.4 x 1.6 cm long narrow C-shaped structure attached to and indenting the brainstem. Many neurosurgeons I consulted did not want to operate, be it microsurgery and radiosurgery, because of the first surgery. I found that my options were greatly narrowed as opposed to the same size new tumor 2.5 cm from IAC.

Overall summary: My recovery follows the pattern of the first, rather than second surgery: at 3 months, not earlier, I become barely functional around the house, like walking, cooking,etc., and at 6 months I become functional somewhere within the normal range, just slow for me. Just yesterday I saw people I did not see exactly for a year and they did not know I had the surgery. They did not think there was anything wrong with me. Good! Of course,they did not see me dance!
   I found the second surgery infinitely easier than the first surgery. I am not going into what happened with the first surgery but suffice it to say that the first surgeon saved my life but took away its quality for the next 10 years, after which I really considered myself recovered. The second surgery will have a much shorter recovery period, I can see it now, and the quality of my life is preserved.

Hemiparesis: This is weakness and inability to control one side, right one in my case. This is not common now except for the biggest tumors and strokes but I got this in both the first and the second surgery. Thank God, this is the only thing in common but by itself it is bad enough of a complication because this is what slowed me down. When I came back home from LA, I could not sign my name on a check and obviously no sentences or paragraphs (right is my dominant side). Now I write out all the checks, never slow anybody down in a supermarket when I sign my name on a  credit card slip, walk normally when I walk slowly and with a slight limp when I walk fast. I also started running on a treadmill and I am really close , not even a mile away from my normal speed. I can also do at least 10 sentences by hand, just slower than before. I write now mostly in script, not print. I have noticed that scripting is more difficult than printing and requires connected, smooth movements. My jerkiness and trembbling are gone. I can also write fast enough after somebody speaks on the phone now, I could not do so at 3 months.

Balance:  Even though my balance was perfect pre-surgery and there was no vestibular nerve to take out, it was affected and I was discharged with a walker.My static balance (while standing on one leg) has become normal a long time ago but not my dynamic (when moving ) balance. I think hemiparesis has a lot to do with it. My right side is still generally slower and weaker and it affects my balance when I walk because it can easily tilt me to the right. The timing between sides can be off as well with the right side starting or stopping to walk at different times, all of which causes me to be off balance. I can stand on a step stool in my own kitchen and wipe out the dust with no problems.

Headaches: None!!! No headaches whatsoever, no incisonal pain, no lightheadedness or dizziness.

Facial and Trigeminal Nerve: I could always  move my eyebrow and had an even smile, however, the sensation ( but not the pain) was affected in my cheeck and half of my tongue. At 3 months, sensation made a major improvement and at 6 months it almost returned. I also noticed that my face no longer hurts when it is cold or windy out and the tightness is even smaller now, both in degree and in area. Nobody can tell there is anything wrong. It does not bother me anymore.

Speech: Was slow, imprecise and unintellligible when I came back from LA, became intelligible at 6 weeks as long as I kept to short sentences and words, made major improvement at 3 months when my tongue became less numb and obviously became normal at 6 months post-op because I can articulate the longest words properly and people do not notice any difference. I asked my husband about speech after the first surgery and he answered: "it is simple. You did not talk at all!" I guess all the pain and fatigue made me talk in simple words and sentences which probably masked my speech difficulties at that time. My friends say that my voice became normal before my speech, at about 5 months. "Just like your old self", they say. Good!

Psycho-social: This is the only thing I found more difficult the second time (no fault of the surgeon here!). At 25, I had no kids and the house, no bills to pay and ,therefore, no checks to sign. I was still treated like a child and people wanted to take care of me. I really needed that! So many people did and many more offered. At 44, I have two kids and a house, many checks and forms to sign as well as parties to host in my house because everybody is coming over! Everybody treats me like an adult now - just a few weeks of recovery and after that it is all my fault. Even ANs and hemiparesis! I did not need to be taken care of the second time but it is really difficult to stuff that turkey and put on makeup (especially eye make-up) with hemiparesis! The last thing I need is to be laughed at because I walk funny! It just makes me want to crawl into a hole and not see anybody until I am healed! The turkey, the special dinner table and even eye makup all turned very well, by the way! All of that combined is probably better than OT for my hemiparesis!

Eve 
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

OMG16

Re: Surgery on 6/27/07 at SBI - 6 months update
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 12:58:43 pm »
Thank you for the detailed update.  I am so happy for you and I am sure you will still recover more.  My son had the same thoughts about holding people up in line while trying to write a check or sign his debit card slip.  I told him not to worry that if he encountered angry people to just ignore them.  He took my advice but I could see it on his face that it still bothered him.  I would like to know who would laugh at the way you walk.  That is just rude.  Don't feel like you have to hide, you have so much to be proud of.  If you would like I will get my son's canes and we can go woop up on some people and then go out for coffee.  Please continue to keep us posted we are all here for you.  Have a wonderful new year.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:36:21 pm »
Hi,

I just want to give a better picture of what I am right now. I just visited a good friend who is building a house. She now has this long, windy driveway that is still uncompacted gravel, I guess, similar to the loose sand. She also has a mountainous property full of stones, loose dirt and steep hills. I climbed all the stones and hills and walked the driveway a few times and never fell. I swayed three times but caught myself. I was never afraid or insecure. My friend said that before surgery I was going in any direction much faster but now I am definitely slower. You have to know me well to spot the difference;  people who don't know me will accept it for what I am right now and never question it.

I think my right side, especially my right leg, is weak enough that it does not hold me up very well. I think that PT is in order just for that. I have reached the limit with the bands and a home-based program; I just don't know how to take myself any further and I do not understand what is the weakness in me is all about that affects walking.

Eve 
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 03:28:18 pm »
Good grief Eve, you've sure been through hek. You are in my thoughts and prayers, sounds like you're a fighter, best wishes,
Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

lori67

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 04:50:43 pm »
Eve, remember the weakness is NOT in you!  It's in your ankle.  You obviously have no weakness in you to be able to deal with all these hurdles.

My own home PT program sounded like your visit to your friends house.  We live in a new development - all hills, unpaved streets until last week, driveways that look more like ski slopes.  Try to walk down the "sidewalk" and you have to step over the building materials... just getting my mail every day was like a workout!  Fortunately, we didn't have many neighbors at the time to wonder why I was always tipsy at 2 in the afternoon.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 05:26:10 pm »
Lori,

Building materials and kids toys to step over - and you need nothing else to improve your balance. I suppose I should not complain because I have the teenager's clothes to step over over and maintain my balance on!

Yvette,

Thank you for your kind words. Whatever complication we get after AN surgery, it is hard to live with. I hope I can work on mine otherwise I will go bananas!

Eve