Author Topic: Humor with an AN  (Read 10326 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
Re: Humor with an AN
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 05:03:19 am »

I've always been a little dippy to say the least and I to said that at least the scan proved I have a brain, but I also said that maybe when they remove the tumour maybe I'd become more intelleigant once my brain gets back to the shape it should be, and true to form 2 days after the op my dad came to visit me and said in conversation "now the doctors have removed all the tumor you might remember more" my reply was " its funny you saying that" "I've noticed I can remember all the nurses names!" now for me that was something because I am rubbish at remembering names.

but yes a sense of humor does help and I've giggled all the way through mine, oh and here is an extra one for you that I said a few time's

"When it comes to the recovery I'm gonna take it slow I don't want to get ahead of myself" ha ha

Take care cheryl XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 10:51:18 am »
Oh, you've got to have humor.  I couldn't have made it through my surgery and recovery without it. 

For a few months after the surgery I let my kids refer to me as "fat head" - not terribly appropriate I suppose, but it helped ease their anxiety over some of my initial limitations.   

Today when they get frustrated with my SSD and ask "are you deaf?", I reply "as a matter of fact, I am".  My son has recently taken to telling me to "open my ear" as opposed to "open your ears".  Guess that proves he's starting to remember my SSD. 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pattibobatti

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 01:35:45 pm »
Right after I was diagnosed with my AN, I looked at my sister and said, OMG, I'm going to have BRAIN SURGERY!!!!  She said, FINALLY.
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

neal r. lyons

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 01:52:50 pm »
A buddy of mine's response when I told him I'd had an MRI:  They'll probably find an empty chamber.

Alot of great responses from you all-really an earfull.  You all truly have a great sense of tumor!

Cheers, Neal
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

Leisa

• keeping on OPEN mind
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 10:57:39 pm »
Thanks for all the response.
My mother told me this is a MIND BOGGLING experience as I was making plans for her to help with my 6 year old daughter while I am in the hospital to which I replied "thanks ,it sure takes A LOAD OFF MY MIND "
 ;D
1cm 11/07
Surgery at Standford with Chang and Blevins on 2/25/08
49 y.o.
BIG 50 PARROTHEAD PARTY 6/08

lori67

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 10:16:53 am »
Leisa...

Now about that Parrothead Party......Shall I bring the margaritas?

;D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 06:53:11 pm »

An MRI's worth a thousand words!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 10:53:18 am »
Wow.  How'd THAT get in there?  I think he's swimming in a pool of rum...
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

dsuvb12

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 11:46:12 am »
The minute after my 18yr old brother found out that I had a tumor and it was benign he immediately called me tumor head.  My mom told me that anything stuipd I did from the time I found out about it to the time I had the surgery I could get by with it and just blame it on the tumor......now that it's removed I always blame the stuipd stuff on brain surgery.  I have 3 brothers and when them and my sister-in-law needed time to kill on the 6 hr drive down to Omaha they named my tumor Amanti after the NFL player......can't you just feel the love!  Oh and when my friends and family are talking to me and I don't respond we always laugh and saw you have to be on my good side!
4.6cmm tumor pressing on the brain stem--removed 7/24/07
Right facial paralysis, loss of hearing in right ear
Gold weight in right eye
BAHA Implant
Dr. Gary Moore was ENT and Dr. Long was neurosurgeon both of Omaha, NE
Had two scar revisions due to staph infection and suture allergy--Dr. Johnso

lori67

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 12:26:08 pm »
it's so nice of us to go to such extremes to entertain our family, isn't it!

I had my BAHA implant put in in November - for Christmas, my nephew gave me this little antenna from an old cell phone so I could snap it to my head and get better radio reception!  My husband is thinking we might be able to get rid of our satellite tv and I could just stand on the roof whenever he wants to watch something.

I'm surrounded by comedians.  Sounds like we all are.
Lori

dsuvb12

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 02:13:38 pm »
That's funny about the cell phone reception b/c I live in the middle of nowhere south dakota and my family says that I will have the best reception around b/c of it!  Laughter really has been the best medicine!
4.6cmm tumor pressing on the brain stem--removed 7/24/07
Right facial paralysis, loss of hearing in right ear
Gold weight in right eye
BAHA Implant
Dr. Gary Moore was ENT and Dr. Long was neurosurgeon both of Omaha, NE
Had two scar revisions due to staph infection and suture allergy--Dr. Johnso

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 03:48:04 pm »
I have a friend/co-worker that's pretty well known around....was a trooper and was hit by a DUI driver in 1981 or so and has burns over most of his visible body, and almost all of his head.   Last year, they found cancer in his skull, and had to remove a huge section.  Since the skin on his head is all scar tissue, he refused to let them put a plate in where the bone was, because he can't have them taking it in and out because the skin doesn't heal well.  It's on the top of his head, a nice big "hole".

So yesterday, when he and I were joking about a very black haired co-worker being blonde (she agreed she was on this day) we were laughing about having the excuse of having a hole in our head where stuff comes out.  He likened it to bread rising...mine would come out first as it's on the side, and his would pop off the top.  Thus leaving both of us NOT responsible for anything we might forget.  Then we realized the other co-worker had cervical spinal surgery, so we realized that was her problem for being "blonde".  Her hole was on the bottom and it all fell out immediately!

You probably had to be there, but we were quite amused!!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 05:54:05 pm »

hey lori,

just to gatecrash the conversation, how are you finding the BAHA I've been thinking about having it done myself and yes I had all the jokes like "you could pick up key 103" ( thats our local radio station) and the other one was "I wonder what frequency you'll be on?" " you could book us a cab", all very witty, don't you just love family!

does it make it easier, does it sound anything like it should normally, is it painful, how long have you waited since the op to have it done, and finally would you recomend it??????

sorry for all the Qs, but I'm going back to see my doctors in march and we arranged to discuss it then once I've had time to mull it over, (that means think about it, for those in US, don't know if you know that term)

Will be good to hear what you think,

Thanks speak soon

Cheryl XxX  :-*

lori67

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 08:39:54 pm »
Hi Cheryl.

I go tomorrow to make sure the BAHA site is healed enough, and if so, I'll get the processor on Tuesday.  I can't wait.  I think it should be okay, but I still have a little sweiling, so I hope that won't make me have to wait any longer.  I had my surgery last February 20 and the BAHA surgery on November 8th..  I would have had it sooner, but you know..insurance stuff slowed things down.  The surgery itself wasn't bad at all.  It was same day and I really didn't have any problems.  i was able to wash it that night if I wanted to - but I opted to take a pain pill and go to bed, as I wasn't sure how i'd feel once the anaesthesia wore off.

I'm looking forward to not missing out on so many conversations.  I'm usually quite a chatterbox, but I've really been avoiding a lot of social situations because I hate missing what's being said or having to ask everyone to repeat themselves.  It's frustrating.

The weirdest thing is, when I tuck my hair behind my AN ear since the BAHA implant, I can actually hear it.  If I touch the abuttment, I can hear it.   I was surprising the first time I noticed it, but I guess it's already working to transmit the vibrations.  My Dad always said I had a thick skull - I think it's actually a good thing in this case!  So, I'm hoping the BAHA will work well.  I will definitely let you know.

There are a few others people on here who seem to love theirs.
Lori

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 06:01:08 am »

hi lori

thanks for that, WoW being able to hear yourself moving your hair must have been a shock first time, I guess its a bit like when you itch your ear for the first time after surgery and realise you can't hear it.

I was a little concerend that if I had it done and couldn't get used to it I'd have a random screw in my head, it might make going through security gates interseting but thats not the kind of effect I'd be hoping for.

I guess I still need a little convincing so I'll wait to hear (pardon the pun) from you and how you get on with your new attachment, Like you I'm a chatter box, but have found recently that in loud enviroments when with alot of friends I'm unusually quiet.

Look forward to your update

with love cheryl XxX  :-*