Author Topic: Just got my TransEar  (Read 3706 times)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Just got my TransEar
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:19:24 am »
Hello all,

Picked up my TransEar yesterday, so today is day two wearing it, day one at work.  When I plug my good ear it's amazing how much I can hear, although it reminds me of listening to voices while under water at the swimming pool.  When I have my good ear open, I know I'm noticing a difference, but not sure what other than ambient sounds are more noticeable (fans, wheels on road, etc).  I went to bed last night with my tinnitus screaming...I've been able to block it out for years but last night was bad.  I think it's going to take a while to get used to it....my plan is to wear it for a week or two, then leave it out for a day so I can really notice the difference.  Then report back some more.  I think at some level I've been blissfully happy without sound in my life, and not sure I'm ready for more sound, but having such trouble with speech discrimination causing stress at work, it's worth a try.  I did really enjoy listening to music by myself in the car, it was like having some stereo hearing again.  that's the biggest difference so far.

Any words of wisdom from long time wearers on what to do/notice???  Taking any and all suggestions here, want to get the most out of the experience.  At the audiologist, we set the sound loud enough, but just under making the fan sound tinny, and just under feedback level.  I'm keeping the unit around 3-3.5.  Don't notice any difference between the two programmable settings, regular and loud atmospheres. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Boppie

Re: Just got my TransEar
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 12:40:57 pm »
Hello Gennysmon, I am happy to be reading about your TransEar experience.  Congratulations!

Hang in there for a few weeks of wearing.  Your brain is getting a bearing on the new sound. 

Since you will be wearing it at work for several hours a day right off the bat, you might want to turn the volume down to 3--2.5 if you feel the least bit agitated by it.  Taking it out at lunch or breaktime to dry it off on a cotton hankie might help too, then reinsert.  The tinnitus will fade to the back of your mind ( ;D) and you will readjust to having it there. 

I did a solo chant and then a dozen carols plus a Mass on Christmas Eve.  For two hours I was surrounded by lots of bass and soprano.  Golly, I felt fried in the ears when I got home!  Tinnitus was bad for several hours after that.  The darn tinnitus comes and goes no matter what we do.

Yes, I agree, tested as a stand alone ear (good ear plugged), the TransEar sounds like a small TV or radio.  I believe this is universal for any hearing aid.  But put together with a good ear the TransEar gives a fine benefit.   
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:07:58 pm by Boppie »

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 06:47:59 pm »
Thanks for the update!  I'll be watching closely so I know what to do when mine comes in!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 09:14:13 pm »
Hello Gennysmom,

Welcome to the TransEar club!  I've had mine for 10 months now and I'm happy with it.  In the beginning I kept the volume around 2-2 1/2.  It would hum if I turned it much louder.  Now I can put it at around 3 and I have no problem.  In the beginning I also noticed a soft humming feeling in my ear.  Now I rarely notice that.  Make sure to use the Dry 'N Stor each night.  I open the battery door while it is drying.  The TransEar will beep when the battery is going low.  It gives you enough time to change the battery sometime that day.  I've been using Radio Shack batteries.  I've noticed that as I've increased the volume that the batteries are used up quicker.  Now they last about 7 days.  Remember to take it out when you are in wet conditions.  I had mine in a downpour of rain once.  I put it in the Dry and Store and then it was fine.

Good luck.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:23:01 am »
Day three here!  I'm noticing differences now, but the ambient noise of fans everywhere and things like that still are a distraction.  When there's loud noise I can feel the unit vibrating, but it's not horribly distracting.  There is some re-learning of what noises are, like just after surgery.  I have the dry and store and have been keeping it in there at night.  I did see that you're supposed to open the battery door, but I keep forgetting to turn the volume down when I put it in.  All these new things to remember!  My guy said that I don't need anything fancy to lube it, just use mineral oil.  That seems to be working fine.  My ear is feeling pretty good, nothing needing sanding yet. Good to know about the battery life...I have one pack, but sounds like I should keep a couple around so I don't have to keep going to the store.  Need to find a closer place that has the dry bricks too.  It says you should change those every 2 months.

Katie, it's huge to shove in your ear, but really, I'm getting used to it already.  And I hate things in my ear.  I thought it would itch more...I can't wear earplugs for long, they bug me, but I can tolerate this,  Maybe because it's got the hole running through it that allows air through.   I'm excited to hear about your experience with it!

Boppie and Jeanlea, thanks for your input!  Tinnitus wasn't bad last night, so whatever it was it was just triggered the first night. 

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 12:47:44 pm »
Hi Gennysmom,

You can buy the dry and store bricks online at their website.  http://www.dryandstore.com/  I got six bricks at once so it lasts a long time. 

My TransEar is so comfortable in my ear that I sometimes am in bed at night before I remember to take it out.  Glad the tinnitus was better.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Catflower

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 10:00:23 am »
I just want to say thanks for all the upbeat news about TransEar.  I'm  8 1/2 months post surgery and will be evaluated for my TransEar on January 11th.  I'm excited, but also a little anxious about what to expect so all of your posts have been very helpful.

Linda in WV

AROBTEK

• Annette (arobtek)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 06:52:31 pm »
I've been seeing several posts about the Transear but I don't know what kind of hearing device it is.  I currently have cros-bicross hearing aids.  I have had them for 3 years now.  It took several months of adjusting, but they work pretty well.

Does the Transear fit differently than the traditional hearing aids?  My audiologist showed me a behind the ear device that fits deep into the ear canal (deaf ear) and you only have to wear one, instead of the 2 like I have.  It works by vibrating the bone in the ear which transmits the sound to the good ear.  Is that anything like the Transear?

Thanks,
Annette
2.6 cm AN L side
Diagnosed 12/10/07
Surgery date: 1/24/08
Dr. Doug Mattox & Dr. Jeff Olson
Emory University Hosp. - Atlanta

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 07:20:10 pm »
Arobtek,  Your description sounds like a TransEar.

Cynaburst

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 08:57:02 pm »
I have had my Transear for about 5 months now.  I had to have it sanded a little once during the first week, and since then it has been fine.  It did take a little getting used to, and I couldn't wear it for long periods for a few weeks.  My audiologist told me to break it in gradually, and I think that was good advice.  I wear mine at 4 volume which sometimes causes feedback, but I find that it helps me the most when it is turned up as loud as it goes.  This means that I can't lie down on it or put pressure on my ear canal because it feeds back.

When I forget to put it in, which is my biggest problem with it, I really notice that it is missing.  I rarely have to say what or ask people to repeat themselves with it, but without it, I don't hear nearly as well.  I am pretty happy with it.  It is not perfect, but it is alot better than the last hearing aid I tried several years ago.

AROBTEK

• Annette (arobtek)
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 06:32:21 am »
Thanks Boppie,
I Just wasn't sure what the term Transear meant.  When I got my Intertons that was the only kind my audiologist (at my ENT's office) recommended due to the type of hearing loss I had.  I was their first patient with normal hearing in one ear and almost none in the other.  (looks like we would have realized something was up - alas, we didn't)

My husband told everybody that they were my anniversary present .  At $3000 they were certainly more expensive and bigger than the last set of 'ear rings' he bought me!

Thanks,
Annette
2.6 cm AN L side
Diagnosed 12/10/07
Surgery date: 1/24/08
Dr. Doug Mattox & Dr. Jeff Olson
Emory University Hosp. - Atlanta

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 12:13:28 pm »
I took a break this weekend from  the TransEar, was just at home, and then forgot to put it in this morning, so it's still resting happily in the dry and store.  I do think that's the biggest thing I notice so far, I don't need to say "what?" as much.  I've gotten so used to saying it though, sometimes I say it out of instinct when it's just taking an extra second for my brain to unscramble the sounds.  I'm sure I'll stop saying it altogether soon.   :D   

At this point, I'd say the TransEar, for me, isn't a huge difference, but enough that it's worth it for me.  I actually wore it for 18 hours on Friday, which included 2 movies.  I was fine....not having the fatigue problem that I've heard of at all.