Author Topic: Titanium mesh plate side affects  (Read 47186 times)

vcschaub

Re: Titanium mesh plate side affects
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 12:06:11 pm »
I had middle fossa surgery with Dr Brackmann in November of 2005. The skull piece that was cut out was put back in place and secured with three "mini plates" and six screws. The "plates" are not really plates. They are a thin cross bar that is placed across the edge of the skull piece and fastened with a screw on each end. I was getting very sore where the plates and screws were attached. I had the plates and screws removed this summer at the Mayo Clinic Jacksonville. I consulted Dr Brackmann prior to having them removed and he told me he wasn't sure it would help with the discomfort but it certainly would not make things worse. I am happy to report that it has made a difference. It is unusual, however, to have them removed.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 12:24:55 pm by vcschaub »
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 12:29:35 pm »
I suspected my plate was bothering me. I have a sore area on my scar. I had an X-ray where we placed a metal BB over the sore spot to see the relationship between the BB and the plate and screws. The sore spot is not over the plate or screws. More likely the soreness is coming from a scar neuroma from the lesser occipital nerve. (Judging from where the pain radiates when pressed.) I plan to have a scar revision in late Feb. So...I'd say my 2 plates and 8 screws don't seem to cause any problems.
Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Static

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 04:32:16 pm »
Firewalker,
I'm not sure when the leak started, but I know I waited awhile before I said anything to my doctor about it.  I was hoping it would fix itself.  I started to get a nose drip sometime in March.
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

firewalker

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 02:15:41 am »
Hi Vcschaub: Thanks for clarifying the plate process for middle fossa procedures with Dr Brackmann. 

Hey Kristin: Sounds like you got your answer :)

Couldn't sleep tonight (this morning) because tomorrow is the Jamaican iron bird in de' sky day for me and my family! Be well, and I'll touch base again with the forum before my big "S" day.

Cheers & Happy New Year!
~Firewalker

2.8cm right ear AN diagnosed on 10/10/07. Translab surgery on 1/30/08 with Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic, CA. Two tiny tumor scrapes were left to preserve facial nerve. SSD, Lagopthlamos with temporary facial nerve paralysis and some Trigeminal Neuralgia. Am improving every day.

Desilu

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 08:09:59 am »
HI Firewalker,

Enjoy the trip and wedding don't worry about a thing. You are in good hands at House! Please keep in touch.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

neal r. lyons

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 11:44:28 am »
Hello Firewalker.  Had the same size tumor as you and same ear and same doctors.  Not to worry.  Been in Alaska at minus 20.  Of course I keep my hat on!  Wishing you well.    Neal
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

neal r. lyons

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 11:59:06 am »
Hello Firewalker.  I had the same size tumor, same ear and same doctors.  No problems with the mesh at -20 in Alaska.  Of course I keep my hat on!  Best wishes, Neal.
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

neal r. lyons

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 12:02:10 pm »
Hello Firewalker. I had the same size tumor, same ear and same doctors.  No problem with the mesh at -20 in Alaska.  Of course I keep my hat on.  Wishing you well, Neal

firewalker

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 10:29:08 am »
Hi Neal,

WHOA-that's cold! We've been having below zero temps here in Wisconsin off and on for the last week and I can say that when I breathe in through my nose and the air freezed right inside my nose that it's probably below zero. Thanks for the feedback and am sure glad you haven't had any issues with your plate. Hope your surgery went well with Dr. Brackmann. If you get a chance I love to hear about it in a personal note. I'm heading out to CA this Mon (1/28/08) for my surgery and am surprisingly pretty calm about it. I'm not too concerned about the titanium plate anymore thanks to everyone's response.

Be well,
~Firewalker
2.8cm right ear AN diagnosed on 10/10/07. Translab surgery on 1/30/08 with Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic, CA. Two tiny tumor scrapes were left to preserve facial nerve. SSD, Lagopthlamos with temporary facial nerve paralysis and some Trigeminal Neuralgia. Am improving every day.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 03:58:23 pm »
Firewalker -

just wanted to say hi and wish you the best of luck with your surgery.  You are in good hands and I'm confident things will work out fine for you.

Please let us know when you're a postie.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

florentine

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 03:04:13 pm »
I am a newcomer to the forum - I am trying to do some research on this titanium "mesh" that you guys are all talking about. Is this literally mesh?  Like Woven Wire Mesh screen?  Something like this manufacturer may make for industrial purposes www.bwire.com

I find this odd that a product that may be used in some type of industrial electronics would be use to fuse together a skull.  Can someone explain to me why and how this material is used?  Any ideas?

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 02:47:05 pm »
I had a titanium mesh "umbrella"  put in my heart. Had a  stroke in April 2009 caused by a FPO...a hole between the right and left side of my heart. The hole  was closed by putting a silver dollar sized double-sided umbrella in the hole. My heart muscle grew over  the mesh and closed the hole. Perfectly health now.

I suppose your skull could grow over the mesh. I had a translab and I have no idea how they closed the hole. The BAHA screw is titanium and your skull grows into the screw. Titanium is widly used in all types of surgery so try not to worry about it.

ANGuy

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 05:37:57 pm »
I am a newcomer to the forum - I am trying to do some research on this titanium "mesh" that you guys are all talking about. Is this literally mesh?  Like Woven Wire Mesh screen?  Something like this manufacturer may make for industrial purposes www.bwire.com

I find this odd that a product that may be used in some type of industrial electronics would be use to fuse together a skull.  Can someone explain to me why and how this material is used?  Any ideas?

I'm not sure why it would be "odd" that a product used in industrial applications is used in surgery.  Silk is used in "blouse applications" and they use that too.  Cat gut is used in "violin applications" and surgery as well.

All joking aside, they use many shapes and sizes and textures of titanium inserts to support or even replace portions of skull removed for all types of craniotomies.  Titanium posts are holding  couple of teeth in my upper jaw right now too.

And then there's pig heart used in heart valve surgery that is often used in "sausage applications"...
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Echo

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 07:48:59 pm »
Hi Florentine,

Roughly 10 years ago I had to have two surgeries on my wrists.  The first surgery was on my left wrist and I had a 6" stainless steel plate put into my arm.  I had a reaction to the stainless steel and it took several weeks for the swelling to subside.  Three months after that surgery, they did my right wrist and my orthopaedic surgeon decided to use a 6" titanium plate rather than the stainless steel.  I was told that people rarely if ever react to titanium, where they can react with stainless steel.  Titanium is also substantially more expensive to use than stainless steel.  I sailed through that surgery with no reaction to the titanium.  So based on my experience I would say titanium is used for it's strength, and the fact that is runs the least risk (if any) of causing reactions or side effects. 

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

chelee5775

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 12:25:49 pm »
Hi there,
I am hoping someone can help me.
I have a titanium mesh plate in my right side of
head. It was placed Aug 2012. It has never really
bothered me until now I think. I keep having this
terrible, unbearable headache pain, that is always
on the right side of my head. I have been ti neurologist
and ERs. They all make me feel like I am making it
up and say I don't know what to tell you and send
me on my way. Recently I have noticed that every
morning my head is swollen, like an edema on and around my patch. It goes down by mid day but the
headaches are persistent and never go away no
matter what I take. The doctors make me feel
like I am drug seeking and no one wants to help me.
Can anyone help me, any suggestions?