Author Topic: follow up MRI - good news  (Read 2321 times)

cecile k

follow up MRI - good news
« on: December 19, 2007, 11:17:30 pm »
It's been six years since AN surgery and am being followed closely with MRI's. This last one showed no recurrent tumor - a relief to say the least. Next MRI is scheduled for 2010. What are your thoughts - would you think three years too long a stretch for follow up?

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: follow up MRI - good news
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 08:15:31 am »
Hi Cecile,
  I've heard several ANers mention that their doctors have lengthened the time between MRIs as time went on.  Congratulations on the good MRI report.  Now you don't have to think about the [unlikely] possibility of regrowth for another three years.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 05:31:54 pm »
My docs have said the same thing - the further out from the surgery with no evidence of recurrence, the longer they go between MRIs.  In fact, at my 1 year post-op appt my doctor said the next one would be in two years.  That also makes me nervous, but I can clinically understand why they do it.  If you really don't like going that long, you could probably insist on an MRI sooner.

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

OMG16

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 03:06:32 pm »
Same here we are going longer between MRI's and my son's tumor was only biopsied and not removed.  I would say this is okay as long as you do not have any symptoms.  However if you can not go that long and will be worried explain this to your doctors and I'm sure that would be okay with them.  We have done this once and it is comforting to know.  We all have different tolerances to risk and different medical experience that change how and why we think the way we do.

Congradulations on the MRI news and I wish you well.    16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 03:43:20 pm »
Hi C, my Mayo Clinic docs had me do a 3 month MRI, then 1 year, 2 years, 5 then 10years.

Congrats on your great outcome!
Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 09:38:58 am »
Results Negative!
My one year MRI was Thursday, January 10, and I finally got the results on Thursday, January 17.....Negative!!!  Dr. Friedman said I should have another MRI in one year.  I had posted somewhere else on this board but can't seem to find it this morning...does anyone else have that problem? 

It was a long week for me but personally I am glad he wants me to have another MRI in one year instead of 5 years so if something does happen to show up, it will be caught earlier rather than later. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Jean in Mississippi   
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results