Author Topic: Best Xmas gift  (Read 3429 times)

Mikey

Best Xmas gift
« on: December 19, 2007, 11:07:51 am »
  Hi  to all . I am recently diagnosed and from what my doctor in Vancouver advises will be a  "watch and wait " . I have always had this theory that events, blessings and challenges in our lives have a way of balancing out . No one receives only positives or negatives. This year has been a challenge for our little family, infant epilepsy, 2 heart attacks, bone cancer, near life ending vehicle accident, retinal detachment ( repaired) and acoustic neuroma , ta-da . When my 1 1/2 year old grandson was diagnosed with eplilepsy ( rare muscular type that caused him to drop instantly ) as any grandparent would I prayed for him to be ok. Several times I offered to make a trade . Do what you will with me but let Jake be ok . In October within days of my diagnosis his seizures stopped. I should mention he is on medication. He no longer needs a safety harness or helmet, and has changed into a different little person. So now he is steady and grampa is a bit wobbly . Coincidence , maybe . But still the best Xmas gift .  MIkey

PS    I have found this site very encouraging  and am working hard to retrain my balance . ( to keep up to Jake )

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Best Xmas gift
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 11:21:34 am »
Welcome,

Vancouver? BC or Washington State?

Canadian or American - you sound like a very dear sweet Grandpa to me! Sorry for the reasons you had to join us... but sure glad you are here to post with us.

Merry Christmas!

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Derek

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:26:47 pm »
Hi Mikey...

Welcome to our group and sorry you had cause to join us but delighted to know that you have found the 'site postings have been of help and benefit to you.

Have a great Christmas and hope you are able to remain a 'wait and watcher' for many years to come.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

OMG16

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 01:34:54 pm »
This is a great Christmas story.  There are so many that are willing to make this kind of deal for our children and grandchildren.  You are a wonderful GrandFather!  I wish you well on your journey.  Merry Christmas.     16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.