Author Topic: claustrophobia/sensory overload or????  (Read 5428 times)

keverett

claustrophobia/sensory overload or????
« on: December 18, 2007, 04:06:04 pm »
I get the strangest sensation when I walk into a loud environment, particularly if it has tubular flourescent lights and lots of stuff in it (i.e., the gym, hardware stores, certain types of dept stores).  I've always been slightly claustrophobic but nothing like this - and that doesn't even describe it.  It just feels like I have everything coming at me at the speed of light.  Is that anything anyone else has experienced and how did you deal with it?  I miss having access to all of the equipment at the gym I used to use (although have managed to even iimprove on some things in spite of it) but it is somewhat disturbing if I have to attend any kind of crowded event.  Is is just a matter of repeatedly putting yourself in those situations so you get used to it?  Thanks so much for all of your help.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: claustrophobia/sensory overload or????
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 04:47:19 pm »
Oh, yeah, know this well.  I usually have to make the decision how important is it for me to try to override it to do whatever I need to do, and think how much extra energy it's going to suck to do it, and decide if it's worth it.   Going to a Police concert, yes....going to Costco on my own, not so much.  I've not gotten used to it yet, but it is a bit better than it used to be.  You have to find a balance and figure out what you can live with.  I don't go to the gym anymore, but try to do more walking and just signed up for a yoga class.  Gym and weights and people running around, not for me at all anymore, finding new ways to achieve the same goals.  Good luck!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

lori67

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 05:01:30 pm »
Been there too!  My first few trips to Sam's club were a nightmare.  I felt so overwhelmed - I think the acoustics in there, the lights, the smell - everything was just assaulting my senses at once.  I could see my husbands lips moving but I couldn't tell a word he was saying even when he was on my good side.  i left there with the worst headache of my life and came home to take a 4 hour nap.

I am able to go in there now - 10 months later - but i get what I need and get out.  I also have a problem in parking garages.  Even my balance suffers in a parking garage.  All of my doctors are in the same huge medical builiding downtown and it's the only place to park so I have to have someone with me to hang onto for dear life.

The whole Sam's club experience has gotten better over time, so I'm hoping the other stuff will too. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 06:03:58 pm »
Me too, going into the vault at work does it all the time.  It use to freak me out before I knew what I had but know I just take a deep breath, pray and march forward. 

I cannot put me head into the kitchen or bathroom cupboards.  Its game over if I do.  I keep everything I need within reaching distance and if its way back there my husband or one of my sons has to dig it out for me.  Talk about grumbling if I need them.  Too bad, so sad ;D

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

danijake

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 06:10:24 am »
I work at Walmart. As a cashier! How agonizing. Sometimes I have to go home after an hour and a half. I can't stand the constant noise.   Has anyone noticed how quiet it is in Target? I would go to work there if I could keep my health ins. ;)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 08:11:54 am »
keverett,
  I too had these symptoms early on post-op.  They have lessened with time, and now rarely bother me too much.  You mentioned flourescent lights, I've noticed a sensitivity to strob lights, flashing bright lights, or computer monitors with slow refresh rates.  Flourescent lights actually flash at 60 Hz, the same freguency as AC power, which may be why they bother you.
  I think the more you're exposed to these things, within reason, the more your brain learns to handle the input.  Although I also think if you push it too far too fast, you can overload the system. Follow what your brain is telling you as far as how much you can handle.  It gets better with time.
Merry Xmas,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 09:51:10 am »
I don't think any store is quiet this time of year!  Walmart is definitely like that year round though.

I'm going to Sam's club with just the kids today - no adult supervision for me.  Ahhhh - cover me - I'm goin' in.

Lori :o
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:14:17 am »
I call going to Wal-mart a physical therapy session--you know, the kind where they see just how dizzy they can make you and tell you it's GOOD for you???????

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

danijake

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 12:28:08 pm »
I didn't even make it an hour today at Wally-World. My head was pounding and I was feeling ready to "fall out". Had to come home and rest. I still hurt, but had to get on here cuz I'm ADDICTED. Shopping there is one thing...8 hours is a whole 'nother story!

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »
I havent had treatment yet but I can relate. I cannot handle crowds very well. Certain lighting is very terrible. I too get the strange feeling when I walk into a loud and crowded environemt. Its like very overwhelming. I cant really decribe the feeling.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

OMG16

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 02:10:08 pm »
My son had the overload also and they said it was due one of the cranial nerves going to his eye was the cause.  They have him doing vision therapy and this helps allot.  One of his exercises is to go online and play video games, things come at you very fast and with time it is helping.  I'm sure you could do any sort of video game.  He has paralysis on the left so he has limited movement in his left hand and you can type and use the mouse with only your right hand.  They also put him on Topamax and this has seemed to help also.  I don't know if this will help but maybe you can check into it.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

keverett

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »
thanks everyone for all of your feedback.  It's been two years and I figured it would get better but, alas, it appears it will be one of those things I just have to learn to get used to!  It is nice to know, however, I"m not just being a big crybaby!  Have a wonderful holiday season all!

marg

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 04:53:16 pm »
Keverett,
   I have had some of the same problems and  going into stores still bothers me - especially a big Fred Meyers or a mall.  I went to the mall with my family last weekend to shop and had to step out into the quietest places I could at time because I had so much sensory overload that I felt overwhelmed.

I am an elementary school teacher (2nd grade) and when I went back part time after surgery ( 3 1/2 months later) it was overwhelming...try being in a classroom with 26 kids all talking at once.  I  would go home after my 1/2 day and think every day - I don't know if I can do this !!!!! but everyday I went back...and finally went back to full time.  It is still difficult but MUCH better than it was.  At least I don't teach 5th graders anymore  - they are as tall as me and I get dizzy just being around kids that size moving quickly.

Hang in there.  I think it got better for me in a short amount of time because I was forced back into an busy environment -into being in a loud, busy, confusing situation every day ( quiting was not an option -if I wanted to keep eating and paying the bills ).  Actually, although it has been very hard - I think it has helped my recovery by being forced to go into that situation 5 days a week.  That said, we are all different in our recovery and how severe our after treatment adjustments are - so, don't give up on trying...but maybe not so much sensory stuff all at once. 
Margaret
P.S.   And no.... you are definately not a cry baby (unless we all are ... and then you are in good company  ::) )
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:54:53 pm by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !