Author Topic: Vaccine question  (Read 6371 times)

lori67

Vaccine question
« on: December 11, 2007, 04:30:56 pm »
Has anyone been told they should get the pneumococcal or meningococcal vaccines since their surgery?

I was at the pediatrician with my kids the other day and she is very familiar with my AN stuff and she asked if I had gotten them.  I hadn't even thought about it until she mentioned it.  Then I happened to run into my GP at Home Depot today and asked him about it.  He wasn't sure, but was going to check with a neurosurgeon for me.

Just wondering if anyone else knows anything about it.

Thanks.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Static

Re: Vaccine question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 05:11:27 pm »
Lori,
I get a flu shot every winter but that's just because I work in a healthcare facility.  The winter I was having my AN surgery I got a flu shot as well.  My daughter, who just turned 15, got the meningitis shot this year.  They are giving it to the kids earlier now and I was kinda glad of it because there are many cases of meningitis in high schools so knowing she's protected makes me feel better.  I haven't gotten either of the other shots and it was never mentioned to me.  Considering I had a CSF leak, you would think I could be a candidate, but I guess not.  That's all I know.  Hope it helps.
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:42:28 pm »
My surgeon wanted me to get that vaccine before my surgery, but hasn't said anything about it since.  And I haven't thought to ask.  I assumed it was  an increased risk while they were messing around inside my head.  Once you're healed, I wouldn't think you'd be at higher risk but I could also be completely wrong!   :o

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 07:55:55 pm »
I've never heard of this being recommended for AN patients.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chelsmom

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 10:47:33 pm »
Hi Lori,

My daughter Chelsea (now 19) was told she should have both of these.  She is finally off the steroids so now she'll probably get them in the near future.
I'm glad as she is hoping to be living in the dorms next month.

Michelle

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 05:20:36 am »
I was told I needed them after my surgery and got them.  2006 was the first year I have had in 15 without pneumonia!  I was impressed.  Prior to that I didn't know there was a vaccine for it.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

lori67

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:18:04 pm »
Thanks for your input everyone.  I guess that's just another AN related question that the doctors have yet to answer.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that I should have known to do all along - and didn't.

I'll see what my GP says...I'll let everyone know what I find out.  I could do without any more pointy or sharp things being stuck in me, but then again, I can definitely do with meningitis!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 07:50:42 am »
    I have never had the vaccines either.      I looked at our pneumococcal standing orders sheet last night at work and one of the contraindications to not receive it is CSF leak.      I am taking this to mean not during an acute episode as I don't see how it could affect us since ours was  caused by surgery and is considered healed now.   There are people who have leaks for other reasons.              I need to remember to ask a dr sometime.                 We try to give it to all the elderly who come in who haven't had it but they have the right to refuse it.       There is a list of other reasons not to get it but can't think what else was included right off.       
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 03:51:28 pm »
Prior to last year, I hadn't had a flu shot in decades and only had the flu once, about 10 years ago.  It was a 24-hour version.  Very unpleasant, as I recall.

Last year, while visiting the hospital for a follow-up visit with my radiologist, they were offering free flu shots if you were over 60  I qualified, so I got one.  No ill effects ensued.  I figured that with my body then working hard to heal from surgery and radiation, it couldn't hurt.  I guess it worked.  I didn't get the flu.  My doctor never mentioned getting a flu shot and I never thought to ask but I haven't had one this year.  If the opportunity arises, I'll get one but odds are, at this late date, I'll pass.  I don't believe there is any correlation between having an acoustic neuroma and having a flu shot other than the recent post-surgical/radiation patient's recovery process causing the body's immune system to be at less than optimal levels, possibly allowing one to be more vulnerable to the influenza virus du jour.   However, that's just the opinion of a non-physician and not one that is, necessarily, medically accurate. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

summer

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 12:17:44 pm »
hi there, i had my AN removed in 2003 and since i have had 4 csf leaks - and yes just recently they have told me to get the vaccines .....but was never told or recommended this from the onset....i am glad now that i know to.  This i learned a little more info from my primary physician about.....and I also did have bacterial meningitis in 2004. 

Pls let me know any other questions you have.  I am the Boston group leader in the waltham MA area......I would love to help with any info you need.   thks!
Trish
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 12:23:10 pm by summer »

lori67

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 03:59:03 pm »
Thanks Trish.  It seems to make sense to get them, but no one other than our pediatrician even mentioned it.  Then when I mentioned it to my GP, he said it was a good question.  I see my neurotologist on Friday, so I'll ask him about it too.  I always get the flu shot every year anyway, so I didn't have to think much about that one.

My Mom grew up in Boston, so I speak the language!!  Hope it's not too cold up there!
Lori

Jim Scott

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 03:02:28 pm »
I venture back to this thread only to add that, unfortunately, I caught a mild case of the flu after being exposed over the weekend at the home of a relative.  It was brief but debilitating, as always.  Not too much drama (one incidence of diarrhea, one episode of vomiting) total loss of appetite, lots of fatigue, body aches, chills and fever.  Fortunately, it all passed within 36 hours and today, 3 days later, I'm about back to normal, although my strength hasn't fully returned but I expect it will by tomorrow. 

Guess I should have had a flu shot.   :(

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

OMG16

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 03:18:52 pm »
Jim I am sorry to hear of you bout with the flu.  All of my sons Drs recommended getting the flu shot and pneumonia shot for the entire family.  They said that it was recommended for anyone with chronic medical issues.  I am not sure if that is because he still has the tumor, stroke or what.  I do know that they said before his surgery it would be a good idea after surgery because surgery itself is an assault on the bodies ability to ward off different viruses ect.  I took that to mean it takes the body allot to recover from any surgery and would not be at its best regarding fighting off infections and what not.  I've always been a if you can prevent it from happening then sign me up type of person anyways.  That being said I would check with your Drs and see what they have to say.  It will be interesting to see the responses.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Boppie

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 12:26:30 pm »
I am a firm believer that anyone who travels a lot, works in institutions, deals with people in crowded places, or frequents public eateries during the flu season, or has had a major health event, should get a flu shot.

Jim, Did a doctor diagnose flu?  It sounds as if you had a case of gastroenteritis or rotavirus. 

Flu is so debilitating that three days would not be enough recovery time.  I had a case of flu several years back (then age 52) and I couldn't make it from the hallway to the bed without help.  I had been teaching junior high at the time.  I had side effects and weakness for a month after the initial onset. The flu takes you down.

Take Care.

Jim Scott

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 03:22:48 pm »

Jim, Did a doctor diagnose flu?  It sounds as if you had a case of gastroenteritis or rotavirus. 

Take Care.

Boppie:

You could be right.  I self-diagnosed and I'm not a physician.  However, the relative I believe I caught the 'bug' from (my 29-year-old niece) was sick and totally bedridden for days, so we assumed she had the flu.  Perhaps not, although her mother (my sister-in-law) also came down with similar symptoms the next day and had a recovery experience that mirrored mine.  I've suffered with (medically documented) influenza in the past and it never lasted for more than 3 days and I did not experience after-effects that lasted for weeks.  Even in my relative medical ignorance I'm fairly certain that there are myriad types of influenza and some are very likely more debilitating than others.  Then there are the factors of the flu victim's resistance, general health and related issues that can make one persons 2 or 3 day bout with the flu another persons week-long ordeal.   I'm generally healthy and have always had excellent recuperative abilities.  A surgeon once delivered a monogram at a doctors symposium based on my 2-week recovery from a non-invasive surgical procedure (to repair a broken cheekbone I suffered from a fall) he had performed.  O.K., I was 21 years younger, but based on my AN experience, I still retain fairly good recuperative abilities - for which I am thankful.  :)

In any case, you made a reasonable point and I won't quibble as to exactly what I had, because it's gone now and I'm fine. I probably will get the flu shot next year, especially if my doctor recommends it.  He didn't this year and the previous year I simply took advantage of an unexpected opportunity to receive the flu shot, gratis.  I can't imagine any doctor would object to a relatively healthy person, especially one over 60, getting a flu shot for preventative purposes. 

Jim