Author Topic: Help need with My MRI Results  (Read 4157 times)

tymariel

Help need with My MRI Results
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:49:09 pm »
I just received an MRI of the Brain and i dont understand the results can a Dr. please help me with the results it reads as follows:

A single punctate nonspecific area of high signal white matter change is identified at the grey-white junction of the right parietal region.  Polypoid mucoperiosteal thickening is identified within the right maxillary antrum.

Impression:

Right Maxillary sinus Disease.  Non specific punctate High Signal White matter change in the right parietal region.   

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Help need with My MRI Results
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:11:48 pm »
Not really sure what that means here--we deal with acoustic neuromas and are mostly patients, not docs here. Try googling the term on your computer and see what comes up, maybe. Good luck.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:18:03 pm »
I'd suggest going to Barnes & Noble and get a good medical book on the brain and the nervous system.  This way you can see the pictures and follow along.

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 09:59:25 pm »
Gee, which part don't you understand?  :D

Not too many radiologists here. I can tell you a few things, but you will need some medical reference or a doctor to help you translate that into English.

I have no idea what polypoid mucoperiosteal thickening is, but apparently the radiologist thinks you have some sinus disease on the right side.

The "non-specific white matter changes" show up on many MRIs (mine had one). I think they report them so they can be watched over time, and checked again if you have another MRI.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:42:50 am »
Radiologist reports have freaked too many of us out … the best thing is to talk it over with your ENT and have them explain it into layman’s terms. Also know that radiologist reports are not always accurate- wait until your doctor sees it and can translate it.

You can totally stress yourself out trying to figure it all out. (Been there done that – got the t-shirt  8) )

I am not seeing the words of a typical acoustic neuroma (Schwannoma) you have quoted here... too many of us here are all too familiar with.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!