Author Topic: Writing issues  (Read 3015 times)

jgr01

Writing issues
« on: November 28, 2007, 11:56:07 am »
I had a small (1.2cm) right sided AN removed at the end of September. (middle fossa) Had an awsome Dr., Dr. Weit in Chicago.  Entire AN was removed but I had a rough hospital stay, 5 days in neurological ICU, due to a few dropped a blood in my carnial fluid. As I understand it, they irritate the brain and will disipate with time. It was very hard to swallow, read & write. Writing is still diffucult, I have to think about every word before I type it and then reread and correct what a write. I get whole words wrong. (this e-mail took quite a while and many edits before I sent it.)

I"m wondering if anyone who has experienced this can tell me how long this may take to clear up and if there if any kind of therapy I could do? I am returning to wok on Friday and e-mail is a big part of my job. It's hard to be patient healing when you have to function in the working world.
1CM middle focca 9/27/08  Dr. Wiet- Ear Institute of Chicago

tony

Re: Writing issues
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 01:20:01 pm »
I hear you - and shared the issues (2 yrs now)
I understand you are keen to restart now, or ASAP
I would ask - is it really necessary, exactly, now ?
Would it be possible to delay any restart ?
or are there other options ?
I am not trying to put you off - or pull you down
There are cases from the list of ANers going back too soon
- maybe before they were ready ?
This often lead to a setback that the made life even more complex
- and the recovery harder than it need be
You may want full active duty
- you may even think that you ARE ready
but a delay, maybe a partime option ?
may well be the best option
I am sure there are others here who
will add their experiance on this one
Best Regards
Tony

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 02:30:28 pm »
JR01,

I am at 3 months and 2 weeks today post op (not that I am counting or anything) … and this is the first week I am back to my full working responsibilities and I am actually getting things accomplished (finally). I am not the same as I was before surgery and probably never will be as I know that for AN post-op patients-  balance takes much energy and fatigue is greater as our brains are working harder than the non AN patient.

Size of the tumor is not an issue.
 It has much to do with where your tumor was located. My tumor was pushing on the brainstem and wedged under the cerebellum. My handwriting over the past few years has gotten from bad to worse (I thought it was age ie did not know I had a whopper of a tumor growing) … last month my family  and I noticed how much better my handwriting has become. The cerebellum controls our motor skills so I am presuming there is some relevance there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebellum & http://biology.about.com/library/organs/brain/blcerebellum.htm

My coordination was pretty lousy the first month post op. I bet this has something to do with the fact I had the cerebellum retracted during surgery and it was slowly shifting back into place- post surgery).

Dura fluid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meninges
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebrospinal_fluid

Also dura fluid normally collects where the tumor was removed from and it will take time for the CSF fluid to start circulating properly without collecting in the pocket where the tumor was.

Perhaps you are having unrealistic expectations of yourself going back to work so soon.

If you are not feeling well enough to go back to work perhaps you should see your doctor to see if you can extend your leave time.

In the USA here I feel many people go back to work way too soon but they do so due to needed income, health benefits etc and have no other choice… when really they need more time to heal. Every patient will be different in their healing time and tumor size is not always the determinate. There is the time you were under anesthesia (which takes time to leave the body fully), if you had a blood transfusion (I did of my own blood), your age and what sort of physical health and fitness you were in pre-surgery all after to be considered.

   If you are taking any medications you may also want to look to see what the side effects are-
                as this too could be affecting your alertness and writing abilities.
   How well are you sleeping at night? Are you getting 7 hours consecutive?
   Are you having any eye issues while at the computer?

If you feel you are not ready to go back to work and spend hours doing e-mail (i.e. writing) and you do not desperately have to go back to work- then don’t. Take time to heal. Month 2 -3 was a tough and a very impatient time for me … seems once I had healing signs after month 3- I perked up a bit.

Cheers,

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 02:42:21 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

jgr01

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 09:29:20 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I understand where you're coming from. Part of the reason I think I am looking to return to work in that, phycially I am in great shape. I am 47, in very good phyical shape and have returns to working out 5 days a week. I did not experience the balance or fatigue issues that so many others have. I did have terrible back pain which I'm sure was from laying in one position for so long in surgery and previous back problems. I actually starting walking several times a day around the IUC unit because laying in bed was so uncomfortable. Took nearly three weeks to work it out and be able to sleep without a pain killer.
I have facial paralysis and my eye does not blink, so I am constantly using eye drops. I get a little nauseous looking at a computer screen for too long.
 I seem to be making my own case to take more time off but I feel guiltly staying home. I have an appointment with Dr. Wiet tomorrow and will discuss all this with him, but I'm sure he will be looking to me to tell him if I am ready to return to work.
1CM middle focca 9/27/08  Dr. Wiet- Ear Institute of Chicago

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:49:47 am »
Jgr01,

I am not sure what you mean by "reading and writing difficulties". Is it your one side not working properly and you have trouble typing and hand-writing but your spelling is OK or is it your spelling and grammar that are wrong? In middle fossa approach, the surgeons press on language areas and some people might have difficulties. If the tumor involves the brainstem and/or cerebellum, some people might have weakness and/or (God forbid!) paralysis. I doubt your tumor was big enough to press on the brainstem, otherwise your surgeons would probably not suggest middle fossa.

If your spelling and grammar are off, a speech-language pathologist can help. If you have a weakness on one side, an occupational therapist can help restore your handwriting. It is important to know where the issues come from.

In any event, congrats on becoming a postie and best of luck on you recovery!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

tony

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 02:57:12 pm »
OK - Youre generally well (well done)
- and the cognitive issues will improve in time
So yes - but maybe go back in stages ?
I am a Headhunter by trade (and sadley not a good one)
 Were you to try two or three "come-backs"
and then find it didnt work out - You might find your career prospects
harmed - a few weeks adjusting etc may save you alot of trouble in the long term
Maybe try to look at it like  three to five year time frame ?
suddenly a month here and there is not so significant ?
Just a suggestion
Best regards
Tony