Author Topic: my dads story! Share and read! :) best way to learn!  (Read 1633 times)

nicole88

my dads story! Share and read! :) best way to learn!
« on: November 25, 2007, 02:43:08 pm »
My dad had a A/N, it was the size of a grapefruit pressing on to his brain stem.  He spent 14 weeks in hospital, two weeks of that was on life support.  Since reading through all your comments a think my dad had it rough! he is now deaf in his affected ear, and totally numb on the same side of his face.  He cannot move the right side of his mouth and has had surgury to correct his eye lid as it didnt not move.  He has surgery, he is still missing a chunk of his skull at the back of his head (we joke that the surgen uses it as an ass tray!), has this happened to anyone else? or do you know why? it doesnt bother him at all, just make the scar, which goes top to bottom of his head more noticeable, and we have to warn hair dresses when he has it cut! They often panic when they see the scar and missing skull!! He has yearly check ups on this still, this happened 10 years ago.  He was back to work within a year, and now leads a perfect life! :)
:P nicole :P

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: my dads story! Share and read! :) best way to learn!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 04:43:40 pm »
Nicole,
Thanks for posting about your Dad. If he ever needs to talk about anything, he can get online himself with us at any time. We would love to hear more of his experience, especially from him, like where all this happened and who his amazing docs were.  We're always here for any AN patient or family member and welcome to the forum.

Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

TP

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 08:51:16 pm »
Hey Nicole, thank you for posting about your Dad. Captain Deb is correct, we would love if your Dad would share his experience with us. Mine was on my brain stem pressing against my spinal cord. I have about a 3 inch 1/2 inch deep scar on my skull. I too have paralysis on the side where my AN was removed as well as I lost my hearing on that side. I just had my last eye surgery as I was not able to close my eye after my tumor was removed. In addition, I had double vision and had surgery this past summer to correct that as well.

We are so glad to hear your Dad was back to work and on with his life. Please encourage him to join this site. We have so many folks who have experienced different situations from these mean ole tumors. We've benefited from the support of folks who share their situations and life experiences. 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

lori67

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:19:24 am »
Hi Nicole.  Your Dad sounds like an amazing man to have endured so much and to come through it all so well.  He sets a good example for anyone who has to endure medical issues - or any other issues.

I too, am missing a piece of my skull from behind my ear.  I am definitely going to be on the lookout for an ashtray collection next time I go to my doctors office!

I've never been to hairdresser school, but maybe it would be a good idea for the students to practice on brain surgery patients so they learn the art of scar disguising.  I have already suggested to my doctor that they add a semester in doctor school for them to learn the proper way to cut hair.

I hope your Dad continues to do well and continues to inspire people with his strength!
Thanks for sharing your story!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 10:48:45 am »
Nicole,

I hope your Dad comes and writes on the forum too. I would like to hear an AN vetran ...the
 " He was back to work within a year, and now leads a perfect life!"
is music to me ear.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!