Author Topic: will a baha or transear help balance  (Read 10254 times)

er

will a baha or transear help balance
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:32:34 pm »
I was wondering , any one out there with  a baha or transear help balance?
eve

Sam Rush

Re: will a baha or transear help balance
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:20:34 pm »
I have a BAHA,   doesn't seem to effect balance one way or another. Are you in Eugene Oregon??
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

er

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 02:03:45 am »
I'm an hour south Eugene, Or. about 134 miles from the California boarder.

I was wondering if the Baha or Transear help my balance problem in public. I notice I have been stay away from place because it doesn't feel very good when people are to close to me.

eve

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 05:25:57 am »
Hi Eve

Have you talked to your Doctor about being referred for Vestibular Therapy?  It has helped alot of people and once the personal plan is worked out for you, much of it can be done at home.  The good thing is balance is one of those things that continue to improve years after treatment, but it's also something that has to be worked at in order to improve. 

Your treating Doctorss should know some good therapists, if not call the local hospitals for names.
From there you can research and find one that has experience with AN balance issues.

Hugs
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Sam Rush

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:13:12 am »
I agree w/ Raydeen time will help your balance.  Dom"t spend the time or money for a BAHA unless you want help w/ SSD.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

er

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 10:18:45 am »
Thank you all for the information,
I was hoping my hearing and my balance would come back. My ENT in the beginning mention I had 40 % chances of it coming back.
I have never had any treatment except for the walks that I do occasional.
eve

keverett

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 03:58:55 pm »
My balance kind of comes and goes but, from what I have been hearing (pun intended) from other people it's better than most.  I have always exercised (alot - because I LIKE it) and found that the single best thing that has helped with my balance was the treadmill.  I tested it both walking and running and found it to work equally as well either way.  I used to run outside but found that I would start to feel less balance control when I did that.  I do know that most peoople get an unbalanced feeling from the treadmill (for whatever reason) until they get used to being on it.  Try that and see if it helps you.  You may have to work up to any kind of speed slowly but it has sure helped me.

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 06:06:11 pm »
Eve, The TransEar helps for the social aspect of hearing loss.  I doubt that anyone could say it makes balance better or worse. 

Balance improves when we challenge it through balance strenthening activity and exercise.  In our case the slogan goes "use it, and get it back".   

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 06:51:31 pm »
Balance problems from crowed places are because you can't see well around you .. its like walking in the dark....
keep your head up and dont look down ...

I started taking the train to work .. crowed places and walking are the train was hard at first.. but its getting better....
and has been great for me to get back to "normal" .... train  , fishing, and kayaking are my PT !
 you have to push yourself a little! you just have to find something you like..and do it!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

danijake

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 10:50:56 am »
The BAHA doesn't seem to help the balance issue, but vestibular therapy is awesome. I only went for 3 weeks and I was a lot better. I still have my "dizzy" days, but it's not so bad.

claire1

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 03:06:04 pm »
Hi

Where does everyone go for vestibular balance training?  Does your neuroosurgeon or ENT prescribe it?  Do these facilities need to be checked out much like the physicians?  Does inssurance accept? This was suggested to me as a way of dealing with balance and coordination but I'm unclear if its for brfore or after treatment of the AN? They didn't go into detail at that time.

Claire

lori67

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 08:26:03 pm »
Claire,

There are some places that specialize in vestibular rehab, but any PT has had training in it and can help you.  Your doctor may have a special person or practice that they prefer, so I'd start asking there.  Depending on your insurance, you may or may not need a referral from your primary care doc, but the rehab place will know if you need that or not.

I would definitely check the practice out - make sure they're licensed to do what they say they are going to do, but I don't think you need to go as into depth as you would a brain surgeon.

I would think that waiting until after the surgery would be better since you don't know for sure if you'll even have any balance issues.  Mine were very minor and didn't last long, so I didn't have to go to therapy for it.  I just did some exercises on my own (I'm a PT so I had a good idea what needed to be done) and I'd say I'm pretty good now with the occassional weaving when walking.   :)  A PT should meet with you during your hospital stay and will be able to determine if you need the therapy or not, or if they think you can just work on it at home with some exercises they'll give you.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

claire1

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 09:07:38 pm »
Lori
Thank you for the input.  I'll be seeing the ENT tomorrow and I just want to try to get aaall my ducks in a row..ha ha
Claire

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 09:09:05 pm »
Claire -

my doc gave me "exercises" to do for vision and balance prior to my surgery and had me continue to do them for about 5 weeks post op.  The theory of starting them prior to surgery was so that post op I would be used to doing them.  I got pretty good as mastering them pre op, but they were definitely more difficult post op.  In the end, they really helped my balance.   

I was also given the choice of having formal PT post op, but the exercises were doing the trick, so I declined.

Jan 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 07:11:03 am »
Eve,

There is a nurse that had AN surgery on the BUSK forum that claims she "feels" more balanced wth her Baha. Before I had Baha surgery I actually called and spoke to her. Nice lady. She lives in Oregon and is willing to talk with people. Let me know if you want her name & number. I don't get to use my Baha for 2 more days yet but I cannot imagine that it would offer any help with balance. Maybe for some people, the sound signals do help with balance. Personally I doubt it for me or most folks. I did physical therapy and worked very hard at it. Other than running into the edge of a doorway occasionally, I feel pretty darned balanced. Early mornings are a little rough at times though ::)  :D
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!