Author Topic: Cheza (Cheryl) Update?  (Read 4915 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Cheza (Cheryl) Update?
« on: November 12, 2007, 02:48:42 pm »
Hey all, :)

RE this post

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5433.msg48944#msg48944
&
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5357.msg48666#msg48666

Has anyone heard from Cheryl (aka cheza) from jolly old England?

It has been 3 days now since her surgery and no word… yet… ???

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Cheza (Cheryl) Update?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »
Hi 4,

Not sure if she deligated anyone to log on here to keep us updated. My hope is that someone updates soon. Not sure if any of the UK AN gang is getting updates.  We may see them post tomorrow (if they are getting word) as it's now 9pm there.

Sending healing wishes to Cheryl.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 05:33:33 pm »
I hadn't expected to hear from cheryl for about two weeks-one week in the hospital and one week feeling like roadkill.  Hopefully her hubby is waiting on her hand adn foot so he doesn't have time to fritter away on line :)

donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 05:38:34 pm »
Donna.

RE
"one week feeling like roadkill"

That is hilarious  :D ... I remember that early stage of recovery - You are right I did not read my posts until day 10...
(Jeff was my hero when I was in that phase as he wrote to me... I even talked to Marg on the phone) ... even then I could barely read a computer screen.

Some AN'ers have had their family post on their behalf - so I was hoping someone here had heard how Cheryl is doing...

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 08:49:46 pm »
Has anybody heard from Cheza?? I just wanted to know how she is doing.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 10:50:50 am »
Heard from her Dec 14 - she was "dancing"

Eye and face issues post op... still there for her

Send her an e-mail via the forum ... she will probably update you... and love to here from caring folks.

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:17:00 am »

Hi all I'm back on line Horray!!!! unfortunately my network has been playing up big time! I could read my emails and occasionly reply to them but had problems putting in web addresses just kept throwing errors up all the time, but things are all ok now.

I am recovering really well and have been enjoying christmas with my family and friends I've even managed to have share in a little christmas tipple.

I went to see my doctors 5 weeks post op and they we're really pleased with my progress, I almost sprinted in to the concletation room according to my doc he seemed quite suprised at how well I looked, walked and sounded so positive, it was at that time I found out that after surgery the small electric shock that they check the nerve reaction which ended up being not that small and the doctors needed to give my facial nerve a huge volt to get it moving, that explained alot, the side of my face has no movement at all but in saying that my lips have strightened up and I look slightly more normal than I did 7 weeks ago.

when I came home from my post op app I was so happy that the docs we're so positive and that they felt I could start living as normal, ok maybe not as before the op but close enough for me! I was that happy that 4 is correct in what she said I was dancing, balance problems, what balance problems?

I belive that several things have helped me recover, firstly my very loving and caring family especially my husband and children, my sence of humour, its always been my best quality and it really got me through some tough times fro example, when I puckered up to give my husband a kiss only one side of my mouth moves, my husband said "is it hard to kiss"? I replied "yes" "but I can kiss round corners now" he saw the funny side and we both had a giggle, and it was things like that that helped not only me to cope, but made others feel at ease and not afraid to have a laugh in case it upset me.

All the cards, gifts and flowers from friends, family and work colleuges, Knowing that people care is a great insentive to get yourself better. Its times like this you find out who your friends are and I didn't know I had  so many and that really kept me going and kept my siprits high.

I rehomed a rescued kitten 3 weeks ago and having another pet in house is great, she's really micheivious and very, very loving she follows me everywhere, and I can deffinately say she owns me not the other way round.

Trying to arrange christmas has kept my mind busy and wrapping all the presents has helped my hand-eye coordination.

My determination to get back to my normal self as soon as physically possiable, I've always been very independant and although sometimes that comes along with a little stubborness, its acctually helped me because to many people would be saying "I'll do that for you" and my reply would mostly be "No its ok I can manage"

One final thing I belive is helping with my recovery and its not a magic postion and I'd be intersted to know if any one else takes it, 4X the RDA of folic acid plus my 1 a day slow release vitamin and mineral tablet, take this example I am as of friday 28th Dec 7 weeks post op, I have been taking these supplements for 6 weeks my face is grade 6 paralasis, but over the last 10 days I can blink my eye half way, I get pins and needles in my face from under my chin upto my forehead, and if I massage around my lip whilst having a pins and needles episode my musle goes tight and lip raises up holds for about 10 seconds and then drops down again, my question is, Is this normal so soon after surgery and if it isn't, could it be my large amounts of folic acid, folic acid is well known for nerve regeneration, thoughts please.

anyway Thank you to all who have asked about me I'm well I hope  you are too, and that you had a lovely christmas and all the best for new year.

Take care all

Cheryl AKA Cheza XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 12:02:38 pm »
Cheryl,

I'm so glad you're doing so well!  I'm sure it's your positive attitude that's helped.  Having a good support system means a lot too.  I'm sure your experience will be encouraging to a lot of others.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy Christmas and your new kitty!  Keep getting better!  It was great to hear from you!!  And I'm going to look into those Folic Acid supplements.  Thanks for sharing that.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 05:31:16 pm »
Hi, Cheryl (aka Cheza):

Good to see you posting here again - and with such encouraging news, too! 

You seem to be doing splendidly for just 5 weeks post-op.  I pray your recovery continues at this rate.  So pleased to learn that you had a good Christmas.  I think we can all agree that the unflinching support of a loving family and caring friends is a great help in recovery.  There is much to be said for keeping busy doing for others, too.

As an AN patient who shared the same kind of determination to get back to normal following surgery, I applaud your efforts and excellent state of mind.  Believe me, it will help sustain you when things seem to move at a glacial pace but you're ready to go warp speed.  I state this based on my own experience. 

I'm afraid I have no opinion regarding the efficacy of Folic Acid and vitamin pills in surgical recovery involving nerve damage and regeneration but if this combination is helping you recover, I think that's great.   

Thanks for your upbeat and encouraging post, Cheryl, and a Happy New Year to you and yours.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 08:36:29 pm »
I'm willing to try Folic Acid.  My scalp is so numb.  I'd love to get some feeling back.  The numbness drives me nuts.

Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 12:32:11 am »
Hey Cheryl, great to see you back. You sound like you are full of energy and very up beat, which is wonderful. The signs of facial nerve recovery are there as well - this is one situation where pins and needles are a good thing. I believe smiling is considered to be an excellent facial exercise.  :)

Please keep us posted as you continue your recovery, and have a great New Year.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 06:42:12 am »

Hi Donna AKA charlotte lady

I take 4 times the RDA of folic acid RDA is 400ug, you can take upto 10 times that amout but I wouldn't recomend it to of a good thing and all that, it was my chiropracter that told me to take the folic acid, his wife is a homeiopath, (excuse spelling) and if you read atkins (as in the diet doctor) it was he who reserched the benifits of folic acid and to realise that thr RDA is no where near enough to have any significant effects, might be worth a read and a bit of reaserch yourself, (google it).
personally, I just took my chiropracters word for it as he and his wife have been right with most of the things I've asked them, and the amount I'm taking seems to work for me or at least I belive it is the doctors told me to expect no movement for at least 3 months and here I am 7 weeks later having all sorts of effects.

Its worth a try I hope it works for you too

take care, hope this helps.

Cheryl XxX  :-*   
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.