Author Topic: Something no one mentions-scalp itching post op.  (Read 45341 times)

Charlotte Lady

Something no one mentions-scalp itching post op.
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:40:52 am »
I have yet to see a post about this but the absolute most bothersome trivial problem I have is itching of my scalp in the numb parts.  I use ice and Scalpacin to relieve that.  They work somewhat. 

It drives me nuts.  How can a spot which has no feeling itch? It's just wrong, I tell you  ;)

When I scratch, I get no relief whatsoever. 

Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Something no one mentions-scalp itching post op.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 09:35:44 am »
I'm a little over 5 months post op and I don't have this problem; never did.

Have you tried a dandruff shampoo - like Tegrin or Head & Shoulders?  Not that you have dandruff, but they are supposed to help with itchy scalp.  Maybe you could get some relief that way.

Just a thought.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 11:50:18 am »
Donna, I've had itchy neck line and back of the head issues since surgery.  My hair hurts sometimes.  It seems as though the nerves in my scalp are reconnecting.  I had the hair hurting issue going on for a few years before diagnosis.  Once I checked in with my PCP to see if I was having a stroke because my scalp hurt so much.  I thought I had pressure in my head. 

I note that your surgery was some time in October.  Your incision might be throwing out some of the dead skin, sealant or a knot or two.  I had two issues with the itchy bumps from that.  I'd continue to use a mild shampoo and suds up three times instead of moving to an antidandruff shampoo. 

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:06:34 pm »
How long ago was your surgery Donna? I don't see any bio info on ya. I mildly itched along the incision for a couple of months after surgery. It is weird how a numb spot can itch! Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:59:16 pm »
Too funny, :D

About a month after surgery I too had itchy flakey scalp issues and was frantically trying to find answers on this very forum (while scratching my head in wonder… LOL)

I found this thread (advanced search “scalpâ€?)  ;D

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=4048.0

I discovered what I had was a normal AN postie experience.  (See you ARE one of us  8) now and part of our AN family)

Sister
   ;) Boppie is right…

Remember that they made an incision in your scalp and pulled all that hair and skin back (with clamps pins etc gross thought huh?) for a few hours ...while they went into your skull by drilling a big ole hole …and dissected the tumor from your brain. Some cells and hair follicles will no doubt get damaged when they do that.

The itchy scalp is the healing process. Itching is good actually- nerves etc are regenerating in that incision area.

Time to throw an itchy scalp party here on the forum.
This is one of those wacky signs that you are healing!

Three cheers for Donna!

Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!  
Keep healing and “Keep Moving Forward!�
Cheers,

P.S. Guess what big flakes of dandruff and some hair falling out on the pillow is next.It means you are healing... lets us know when that happens and we'll have another party.
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3914.0
It WILL settle down eventually
 (Life is to be celebrated- especially "healing")

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 04:28:06 pm »
Oh yeah, I remember the itchiness!  Fortunately, I had my four year old saying "Mom, no scratching" every time she saw me trying!!  It is a weird feeling that you can feel the itch, but you can't feel yourself scratching the itch!

It did get better though.  In the mean time, I'd be happy to send you my now 5 year old!   ;)
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 09:29:32 pm »
Lori-
I'll take your five year old if she can rake leaves :)

4-
I laughed at the thread about the lice.  My friend looked at my scalp and asked why I had white thread coming out of my incision.  Eeeks.  Of course it was dry skin or scab. 

As for the rest of y'all, I have never thought about what was done to my poor brain.  I never even really thought about them shoving my brain around during a suboccipital craniotomy.  Eeewwww.  Oh and clamps!?!?!?!

Donna

Patti

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:30:48 am »
just to let you know-i am 7 years post-op and still get extremely itchy on my numb parts-especially at night when i am tired.  you get used to it.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Static

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 08:21:10 pm »
I am almost 4 years out and I get the itchies on my head all the time all around the incision area!  I always tell my daughter that I have cooties!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Catflower

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 10:51:09 am »
just to let you know-i am 7 years post-op and still get extremely itchy on my numb parts-especially at night when i am tired.  you get used to it.  patti

Are you saying that after 7 years your scalp is still numb?  I was hoping that was going to get better.

Linda in WV

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 06:03:46 pm »

Are you saying that after 7 years your scalp is still numb?  I was hoping that was going to get better.

Linda in WV

me too!

donna

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 07:18:31 pm »
3 months post op ... NO numb skull

Oh that sounds weird... I mean my "skull is not numb" anymore...

Ok Ok sometimes I can be a numskull LOL ;D :D ;)

Every patient is different...

My too cool for words teen  8) told me today "oh ya Mom - you are different!"

Cheers,

4 :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Patti

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 01:37:35 pm »
sorry, but yes i have a numb skull (he he) and face after 7 years.  the real problem is that i have a numb eye and injure the cornea with out feeling pain.  i also bite my cheek often.  chocking is an issue because i don't feel things as they go down that side of my mouth.  it's all under control now except the eye stuff - an ongoing saga.  boy-i am like the character "debbie downer" from SNL.  really-i am ok- even great sometimes!  patti 
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Suziq68

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 09:04:42 pm »
I had a brain tumor removed in May of 2016 in the right frontal lobe. For the last year, the area in which the metal plate sits is still numb but itches like crazy.  For awhile I would get so frustrated until I came across the best spray  ever.  Palmers coconut oil strong roots hair spray immediately stops your scalp from itching and the itching goes away for at least 12 hours. 

lark114

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 03:15:08 pm »
Guess what?  My surgery was 2 years ago and sometimes my incision and the area around it still gets so itchy that I want to rip my incision open to scratch it.  My best guess is that the itching is caused by nerve endings getting cut during the surgery and that eventually it will decrease.