Author Topic: Did CPR training last night  (Read 1623 times)

Pembo

Did CPR training last night
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:09:13 am »
A few weeks back I posted that I realized I can't do rescue breathing because of facial paralysis and I wondered how that would effect my ability to get my CPR certification.

Luckily a friend was the instructor. When it came time to test, I just looked at her and said I can't do the breaths so I would either ask for someone else to help or just give chest compressions. She smiled and said you could always TRY to give breaths and reassured me that chest compressions are the most important.

The 3 people I did the training with have no idea that I had an AN. AFter class they asked why can't I give breaths? All I said was that I have facial paralysis and am unable to make a seal. They all looked puzzled but no one said anything.

I am at a point now in recovery where I enjoy confusing people. I only give out information on a need to know basis. If they ask, I'll be more than happy to share my story. But most people don't ask.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

lori67

Re: Did CPR training last night
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 02:01:57 pm »
One of my CPR instructors from a long time ago used to say that "bad CPR is better than NO CPR", so the fact that you're willing to do anything at all is giving someone a fighting chance.

I think I am also at the "confuse people" stage.  I had to go pre-register for my surgery tomorrow and I handed the list of surgeries I've had to the nurse (I've found this is easier than trying to remember all the dates...) and I just let her stare blankly at "lateral tarsorraphy" for a while.  Then finally she said "Ok, I give up - what body part are we talking about?"

Oh, well, at least I entertain myself.
 :P
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Battyp

Re: Did CPR training last night
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:44:50 pm »
Pembo good for you! Getting out there and doing is half the battle.
Lori I like your sense of humor...