Author Topic: Hearing trick in crowded places  (Read 2627 times)

Crystal

Hearing trick in crowded places
« on: November 02, 2007, 06:09:30 pm »
I picked up a tip I would like to share.  I tried it with my daughter and it works. I can't remember where I read this as it has been a while and I just had the opportunity to try it.  You can only do this with a close friend or relative though. :)

Have the person take their index finger and gently push your ear flap to plug your good ear.  (Now you can't hear anything)

Now have them talk close to their finger tip - not only does it plug out all the noise but somehow the fingertip transmits just the sound of just their voice and you can hear them!

Hope it works for you!
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

DetSgt224

Re: Hearing trick in crowded places
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:37:25 pm »
Thanks Crystal, I'm going to try it.  I am deaf in my left ear after surgery and trying to hear in a crowded room or amongst background noise is impossible.

Travis

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 07:37:18 am »
Wearing an muscician's earplug does the trick and saves on the bent elbow so one can relax during their listening experience.  I have the middle filter fit in the plug (choice of three) so it filters out the background sounds, but one can hear the person next to them. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Victoriah1999

• CM Indy
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:31:02 am »
Kind of like the two cans and a string when we were kids!  All about vibration.  I suppose the vibration hearing aids are like what you describe but yours is WAY cheaper.  HA!  I'm giving this a go!  Thanks!
Love,
Victoria