Author Topic: MRI question re: eye weights  (Read 16065 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

MRI question re: eye weights
« on: October 31, 2007, 03:01:43 pm »
Hey all,

I am in the midst of booking my 3 month follow up MRI post surgery. They ask all sorts of questions about “metal� body parts. (I am both a metal head and a fat head LOL) Titanium is not a big deal …

My eye weight is still the temporary-stick-on kind on so I will simply take it off for the MRI and stick it back on later. But one day I may have to get the gold weight implant… if the eyelid remains stubborn .I am waiting (or was that “weightingâ€?) out the facial palsy phase- LOL ;D (sorry punny   ::) post craniotomy humor there)

So once you have the gold eye weight – can you still have the MRI being that you have a metal implant in your eyelid?

I figured that you-all are THE folks to ask on this one.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jeanlea

Re: MRI question re: eye weights
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 05:42:50 pm »
Hi 4,

Yes, you can have an MRI with a gold eyeweight.  Pure gold is not magnetic.  But it reminds me of my first MRI after my surgery and the eyeweight.  They asked me the metal questions.  I wasn't sure if my eye weight was pure gold or not.  So they tested it out.  A technician or nurse stood by my side and had me walk closer and closer to the MRI machine.  I guess if it didn't rip the weight out of my eye I was good to go.  LOL 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

badyellowvette

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 05:23:37 pm »
I have had many MRI in the past 22 years since my FIRST tumor, never a problem. It has gotten warm at times when getting a MRI.
Small orange size AN removed 5-15-1985
Tarsarophy done 5-19-1985
Thumbnail size AN removed 4-18-1993
Tarsarophy removed and 1.6g gold weight added 7-22-1993
From 7-26-01 to 2-25-2013 five more surgery's on eyelid with now 3g of gold weight

TP

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 06:39:39 pm »
I had my gold eye weight removed today! Yee ha! I've had it for 16 months now and my eye Dr (Dr. Smithwick-sweetest Dr) who I saw this past Friday said it was time to have it removed, so he did it this afternoon in his office (I originally had it placed during my last hospital visit last year). This procedure was done in his office. I had a little sting while he was injecting me with the needle but once removed I was able to close my eye on my own. The whole procedure lasted about 15 minutes. It is a little swollen and now that the numbness is leaving me I am going to put some ice on it for a bit. He gave me the gold weight and it had three little holes in it where he stiched the weight into my lid. I am going to make a piece of jewelry out of it in remembrance of my ordeal!!

God is good! Only issues remain that bug me is the SSD and facial paralysis. Hopefully the paralysis will get better over the next few years!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:35:33 pm »
TP

It is party time and this is due cause for a celebration! :)

3 cheers for TP in getting her eye weight out ;D

Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!

I love reading these success stories it gives me hope and helps me, the ever-so-impatient-patient, that patience is a virtue.

Way to go TP!

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:36:15 am »
Great news TP - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!       Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

TP

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 11:22:51 am »
You ALL are so sweet and kind. Thank you for the congrats! I woke up in the middle of the night with my face all wet. I thought my eye had tears in it now but NO I went into the bathroom and had blood on my face and eye. I was worried my eye ball was bleeding but it was my eye lid and I must have pulled the stich while I was sleeping. I fixed it up and the bleeding stopped. The eye lid is sorta puffy but today there are no issues. Isn't this process FUN!!!

I hope everyone has a great day!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 04:43:33 pm »
HOLY MOLY TP!!!    You sound so matter-of-fact about what happened - I'd have been FREAKING OUT!!!!!   Did you call the doctor today ???
I had my eye weight taken out because of an allergic reaction - what happened to you didn't happen to me;  I remember keeping ice pack to my eye for a few days, also applying an eye ointment prescribed by the doc along the incision line.
Hope you continue with your healing.   BE CAREFUL!!!!!    All the best,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Karen

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:26:35 pm »
How did you know it was time for the weight to come out?  Did you have to have it put in as an outpatient?  I am wanting to have mine taken out and was afraid it would have to be as an outpatient and I am getting tired of surgeries.  I think mine is to heavy I can't keep my eye open. Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

TP

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:26:35 pm »
Karen and Nancy:

My eye lid was was not as opened as the other one and my eye Dr tested the muscle and it appeared to be strong enough to close on its own. So he said it was time to remove the weight (plus I was sick of looking at it, as well as my friends). He tested my eye by pulling up on my lid while I tried to keep my eye closed. So far it is closing when I blink and it stayed closed all night last night.

The procedure was very simple. I sat in the office chair while he did it. He numbed my eye to calm it down while he injected on my eye lid novacane and that took about 10 minutes. It stung a little and then I walked to another room in the office and he tested it to make sure I couldn't feel anything and he did a small incision. My husband actually sat in the room and watched the whole thing. It took about 10 minutes to pull the weight out and he stiched me up. I put ice on it in the evening and took two aspirins.

When I had the eye weight placed in my eye, I was already in the hospital. That surgery I didn't feel anything, the one yesterday I felt a little sting which really wasn't bad at all. 

Nancy, I forgot to call my Dr today and tell them what happened. I guess I need to do that tomorrow. At 2:45 AM when it happened, I was sleeping so well and then felt my eye all wet. I was so excited when I woke up, I thought for a brief moment that by removing my gold weight that my dry eye finally got tears. Boy was I wrong when I walked in the bathroom and looked in the mirror and saw blood over my face. I said a few choice words and thought oh my gosh, my eye ball that was double vision a few months ago was bleeding. Then I remembered that I had stiches on my eye lid and pulled out my old eye patches and gauze and fixed me up. I was more worried I had blood on my pillow case - which thankfully I didn't. I am putting an antibiotic ointment on it twice a day.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 09:02:36 pm »
TP

quoting you
"I put ice on it in the evening and took two aspirins."

Ice makes sense but not the asprin (tylenol maybe) ... did the doctor suggest asprin?

Be sure to tell the doc you had bleeding at the incision site...

Is it still bleeding? ... if it is I suggest you just contact the "on call"...

Take good care,

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 05:47:13 am »
Hey TP:  I agree with 4 - before & after surgery I stay away from aspirins, Aleve, etc., & stick with Tylenol, at least for a month or so (I overdo it, I know).   Definitely call your doc if you haven't - you may need another stitch in there to avoid thicker scarring along the suture line.  Best to be safe.
Best wishes,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

TP

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 08:19:39 pm »
Hey ladies, well the good news is my eye lid only bled on Monday night. I must have rolled over on my face and hit the side of my theraputic pillow that has an edge on it.  I haven't had any problems since and yes, I forgot to call my Dr again today. I am bad....however, I've had a lot on my mind. We have a very close friend (46 years old) who was diagnosed with (signet cell-stomach) cancer about 2 months ago and we were told yesterday he has less than two weeks to live. He was one of the first friends we had who came to see me when I got out of my surgery last year and was in ICU looking like a mac truck hit me. When I learned I had a brain tumor and called him to tell him the news he had to pull over off of Interstate 95 to cry. Now he is dying and I all I can do is pray for him and when I visit him in the hospital I gently massage his feet with cream. Life is precious, we have to make every day special! 

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 08:54:02 pm »
TP

Oh you do need a hug!

HUGs

AN Family ... I think TP needs a group hug here...

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 05:02:52 pm »
TP,

So sorry about your very sad news.  Thinking of you, your friend and his family.

Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games