Author Topic: What else could it be?  (Read 7975 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: What else could it be?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 02:12:16 pm »
Way to go on getting through the MRI!

I'm praying that you won't be one of us AN'ers ... but know that you are always welcome here if you need support if you do.

cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 03:00:24 pm »

let us know what it DOES turn out to be ... people seem to vanish when its not a AN  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

jwgncolo

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 04:17:48 pm »
Hi Rob,

I am also in the post MRI waiting period....and it too is driving me nuts.

I've had high pitched whine in left side for quite some time.  Finally went to ENT a couple of weeks ago, had the hearing test, was told that I was showing "mild/moderate" high frequency loss on my left side.  He said chances are slim, but wanted to rule out an AN, so off to the MRI tube I went last Friday morning.  My "official" follow-up appt. isn't until Dec., but I'm trying to call the Dr's office now to get at least an indication if I have something to validate or discredit my fears.  My resonable side of my brain is saying..."don't worry, look at the odds".....but the high pitched whine 24/7 is saying otherwise and playing to my fears.

I just want an answer, then I can move to the next step.....whatever that may be.

john

RAS

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 04:33:23 pm »
John,

Sounds like (no pun intended) you and I are in EXACTLY the same situation.  Moderate hearing loss, high pitched sound, waiting for MRI results. Even your sentiments about "validate or discredit my fears" is precisely how I feel.  It's 3:30 PM here -- I'm going to call at 4:30 PM if I haven't heard anything by then.  Best of luck to you.  -- Rob

RAS

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 02:35:33 pm »
Well, at 5:30 PM the medical assistant called to give me the news: no tumor.  According to the report, there is no tumor although there is some "age-related change."  Great news for me.  I still, however, do not know what the problem is -- I have an appointment for Friday with my ENT to discuss what's going on in light of a negative MRI.

As I wrote at the outset, this is an incredibly supportive place.  I will continue to keep an eye on this board and will let you know what, if anything, seems to be causing the symptoms that originally supported a possible AN diagnosis.  Too, I am going to make a donation to the Association. 

Thanks to everyone who responded to my posts and the anxiety that fueled them.  I'm hoping as well that John receives a negative diagnosis. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, John. -- RAS

jwgncolo

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 05:01:14 pm »
Hi Rob,

That's great news....I'm very happy for you and thank you for the words of encouragement.  I am still waiting for my call.  Was told yesterday that 3~4 business days is normal for results to come back in.

I am certainly interested in what other causes or treatments they may recommend for your on dealing with the tinnitus.

take care,
john

jwgncolo

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 05:51:48 pm »
Whew.....just got a call from the Dr. and the MRI came back negative....what a relief!

Now....like Rob.....I also will have my follow-up appt next month to see what/if any other options are available for my 24/7 high pitched friend.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 10:14:47 pm »
WOW Great NEWS!

Sorry you can't be part of our "exclusive club" (tease grin LOL) - but it appears you do not meet the credentials...

But hey really this is great news. Be thankful (yes even for negative results) enjoy life and "keep moving forward!"

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 10:41:28 pm »
Yay!  That is great news for both of you!  Even greater news will be to hear that something will fix your symptoms.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for that.

Maybe if you promise to hold one eye open, plug one ear and walk like you've had one tee many martooni's, the Non-Newbies in the group might let you play here anyway - without meeting all the credentials!

Lori ;D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »
Hi Rob and John,

It is good news to hear that you don't have an AN after all. If you like this forum, and it sounds like you do, I'm sure others like myself would be interested in finding out what other conditions and treatments go with symptoms of hearing loss, tinnitus, and fullness. It comes up fairly often on this forum, and getting some information from you about what else it might be, and what might work to treat it, would be useful.

So please feel free to stick around awhile and let us know what you find out. You can always let the next "maybe" person know that it is not always a neuroma, and that would good for them to hear from a bona fide "in fact not" case such as yourself.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jwgncolo

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 09:30:34 am »
Thanks everyone for the support....my heart truly goes out to you guys that have AN's and have endured your treatments.....you are truly brave people, and I totally respect the good work you are doing on this forum on a daily basis for us people that couldn't spell AN last month, but now find ourselves in MRI tubes. 

I will accept Steve's invite to stick around and share anything I learn for my "non AN" tinnitus & hearing loss.  My follow-up with the ENT is not until mid-December, but I will certainly post any possible treatments after I meet with him.

take care,
john

RAS

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 03:14:43 pm »
Hi, All:

To the extent that this is at all usefu to my initial post, the post-MRI follow-up with my ENT was, well, helpful and then again not-so-much (at least for a definitive answer).

His diagnosis is (at least for now) eustachian tube dysfunction, noting that this is a rather elusive area to treat.  My early audiogram noted a eustachian tube problem (they mechanically pressurized my ear to see what happens), which is consistent with the "full" feeling and my inability to equalize the pressure in my right ear.  This leads to muffled hearing and could be related to the ringing.  It does not account, fully, for the hearing loss in the upper frequencies and does not necessarily account for the ringing, either.  They all can, however, be related.  I have been given prescriptions for both oral and nasal steroids and will wait it out for another four weeks to see if anything gets better.  Who knew that the eustachian tube is still a mystery?  And, indeed, is not really a "tube" at all but "a potential space" (according to the doc).  I still have all the same symptoms (ringing in the high frequency area, fullness, and hearing loss) so we'll see what happens.  Again, as the doc noted, treating this basket of problems is less than straightforward but the MRI was clear.

So, now, that's what I can offer.  I hope that this is helpful to someone out there....

My best to all of you -- and I, too, will continue to stick around and share whatever I can find out.

Rob

sgerrard

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 10:27:29 pm »
Hi Rob and John, our "honorary" members.  :)

Rob, the diagnosis does sound kind of vague, doesn't it. Maybe some steroids will take care of it, who knows? Here's hoping for the best. I will be watching to see where both cases wind up. It is curiosity on my part, but it will be helpful to others who don't have ANs to know as well.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.