Author Topic: Surgery scheduled - Nov. 14, 8:00 AM  (Read 4096 times)

luckylady

Surgery scheduled - Nov. 14, 8:00 AM
« on: October 28, 2007, 01:05:14 pm »
I was diagnosed in June and after many diagnostic tests have been scheduled for surgery Nov. 14, at Zale Lipschy hospital in Dallas.  Insurance has been approved.  Both physicians are on my insurance so that is a blessing.
Questions:  Has anyone had this surgery in Dallas at Zale Lipschy?  Question: Do I need to cut my shoulder length hair?  Question:  What is an auditory brain response test?  Any advice from anyone would be appreciated!

Thanks for the ANA discussion forum -- This has been a great source of information

OTO

Re: Surgery scheduled - Nov. 14, 8:00 AM
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 06:39:38 pm »
luckylady
(1) Sorry had my surgery in Los Angeles.

(2) The ABR test is another hearing test, except that they will attach some electrodes to your face and scalp and take some measurements as you listen to the tones, some hissing and clicking.  They will probably do it as part of the other pre-op hearing tests.  All the tests kind of blend together.   I don't remember anything unusual about it.

(3)  Re:  Your hair.  Need to ask your neurosurgeron.   At the St Vincent's (in Los Angeles), my doctor only shaved a 2-inch wide strip along the incision line (side of my head).   I have short hair about 2-3 inches long (I'm a male).    When I went home about 10 days after surgery, no one could really tell because the incision blended into where I part my hair (side comb).   If I had to do it over again, I probably would have gotten a crew cut, because my scalp was so itchy as the incision healed.   One thing to consider, you aren't allowed to get the area wet for about 6-7 days.   There was one lady in the hospital at the same time, and she kept her shoulder length hair.   It was a little awkward rigth after surgery (with the bandage) but I think she was happy to keep her hair.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:07:49 pm »
I asked my surgeon to show me exactly what hair he was going to have to cut off.  He said just about 2 inches up from the top of my ear and around the back of my ear.  I usually wear my hair shoulder length too. The weekend before the surgery I went to my hairdresser and told her exactly what the surgeon said he would have to shave.  We parted my hair on the side opposite the AN and kept the top layers long, and after all was said and done, you could barely tell.  I did cut it a little shorter because I figured I wouldn't feel like messing with it for a while, but the incision was hidden very well. 

I was able to wash it the day they took my bandage off - I had the surgery on Tuesday and the bandage came off on Saturday.  The nurse who discharged me from the hospital told me not to wash it until the staples came out at 2 weeks post-op, but I have to admit - I washed it every day.  I just used baby shampoo and a hand held shower head so I could try to keep the shampoo off the incision as much as possible and made sure not to scrub near the staples.  When I went back at 2 weeks, my doctor took the staples out and said "it looks great.  Now you can wash your hair".  I just laughed and he said "I know - you have been."  Ah, well, no damage done and I was happier with my clean hair.  I'm not suggesting you don't listen to your doctor though - just because I usually don't!   :-[

Good luck to you on the 14th!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 07:50:18 pm »
About the hair...

Mine was just long enough to cover my ears when I had my surgery, and I'm glad I didn't cut it shorter.  Shoulder-length hair should be fine - you may just need a little help washing it the first few times.  It does get kinda yucky under the bandage, and it took me about 4 days of washing it (using shampoo 2 or 3 times each day) to get it feeling like my hair again.  Baby shampoo is nice and gentle.  I also used a bit of Head and Shoulders to scrub off all the dead skin from my scalp that had build up.

Anyhoo...

I had surgery on a Wed.  Bandage came off the next Tues, which is when the doctor said I could wash hair if I was careful around the stitches.  I had my mom help (I sat in the tub) and used a hand-held shower nozzle. 

Here's my scar the day the bandage came off (after washing):

And here's me with the hair down, same day (after washing, obviously)

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

er

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 01:39:50 am »
Dear krbonner
That looks good! Looked like mine when I had it done 2 1/2 years ago, but they did not use any bandages on mine.   It was a pain to get it all cleaned.

luckylady

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 05:32:33 am »
Thanks to all who replied about what to do with my hair- and the ABR test.  The photo of the after surgery incision was great-  thank-you so much for sharing.
I will probably keep it shoulder length and if it too much of a pain after surgery have someone trim it.
Getting a little nervous - but I am so ready to start the road to recovery!

Thanks to all!

Luckylady :-\

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 06:09:16 am »
Luckylady -

nerves are very common, but you'll be on the road to recovery before you know it.

Don't worry too much about the incision.  Your hair will grow back faster than you think and it will cover the scar very nicely.  By the time I had my stitches removed, about 9 days post op, my hair was growing like a weed.  By the time I went back to work part-time, about 2 1/2 weeks post op - you really couldn't see the incision unless you looked very closely.

Best of luck with your surgery,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

er

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 07:55:42 pm »
I was thinking maybe we need to get a prayer change going for those that or having problem & surgerys
I understand that we can do it with each post .

luckylady

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 04:47:31 am »
Jan-

You went back to work two and one-half weeks post surgery? 
Its messages like these that help me with this.....thanks for the info.

Luckylady

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 06:01:04 pm »
LuckyLady -

hope your surgery went well and you're able to update us on your recovery soon.

I've been thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers.

Yes, I did return to work part-time in 2 1/2 weeks, but I was lucky enough to have someone to drive me back and forth, plus I work at a desk so my job isn't really strenuous.  I wasn't feeling the greatest - mostly tired - but I was going crazy sitting around the house.  Everyone is different and needs their own time to recover.  Don't push yourself, take the time you need.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways