Author Topic: 4.4 of the House Brackmann Facial Nerve Grading Scale (HBFNGS)  (Read 13914 times)

er

Re: 4.4 of the House Brackmann Facial Nerve Grading Scale (HBFNGS)
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 01:36:21 am »
Margaret,
My glass  is up for that toast, " Here is hoping for a full smile again for all of us ;D
sorry about the over flow and the metal taste that will also go in time. I still do it but not as often.

eve

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 07:05:12 pm »
UPDATE

3 months and 5 days (not that I am counting or anything  ::)) post surgery I got a 1.5 mm turn up in the palsy side of my mouth. Today I am at a 2mm turn-up and the crease in the face is starting to show. (i.e. tone is now evident) … it will be interesting to see how much it actually comes back. I have not lost the stick on eye weight – yet (such a fiddly high patience piece of jewelry it is)…

I feel like a little kid waiting for her new front tooth to come in…

“All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth� …make that “facial movement…�

So folks, “Yes healing and improvement does happen … slowly.�

I4
 ;D

Hi DHM,
I know this is an old thread but I have facial paraylis and needed some encouragement sooo I have been reading old posts.  How are things for you now in regards to your facial movement? I know what I am adding to my Christmas wish list.
Michelle
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 08:57:05 pm »
Michelle,

Weirdly enough this past month my upper lip started to move and you can see my upper teeth when I smile... SO it is still regenerating...

The synkinesis, which I do not wish on anyone, is acting up more now that the botox has worn off. Next week I will get injection #2, of the 3, for botox …so we will have to see how much other muscles start to fire once we subdue the overactive ones- again.

I still place myself at#3 on the House Brackmann Scale

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/bells/index_files/hbscale.htm

Thanks for asking… Where are you on the scale of things?

DHM

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:08:36 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 10:58:01 am »
So you are 15 months post op? That is amazing that movement still occurs. I was told at one year that is all I could expect.
Currently I find it difficult to grade myself on the scale (if I had to choose one I would say five). At rest I have great tone. I have movement only in the center of my lip (apparently the good side has grown over to compensate?) I had never heard of this in all the research I have done. It certainly makes eating and drinking easier but still those darn Ps,Bs, and Fs are hard while speaking (try teaching kindergarteners how to pronounce letters and and sounds). According to my EMG nerve regeneration has started taking place around my eye and just yesterday I have started to get tears (they pool in my slightly limp lid) and have a tiny blink back. Nothing else, I am a wee bit discouraged about my mouth and cheek. I feel I should have had some signs of slight movement at the corner of my mouth by now but nothing.
I did have my nerve tested during surgery and at my brain stem the 7th CN tested 0.1 mA, which apparently is as good as it gets. The report also indicated that at some points the nerve was quite splayed. I get conflicting responses from my surgeon (who by the way was not sure if it was an acoustic neuroma or a menginoma) first he said that he was quite surprised that I had facial paralysis at all and then at our 3 month post op visit he said I could expect 50-75% recovery, closer to 75%.  I had complete facial paralysis when I woke up and a tarsoraphy.
Anyway time will tell won't it. I hope I don't have to have a nerve graph I am such a wimp when it comes to surgery.
It is so sunny in Ontario today - hmmmmmm gotta love it!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.