Author Topic: 4.4 of the House Brackmann Facial Nerve Grading Scale (HBFNGS)  (Read 13912 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

4.4 of the House Brackmann Facial Nerve Grading Scale (HBFNGS)
« on: October 27, 2007, 06:24:12 pm »
MMMM :-\

http://www.audiologyonline.com/askexpert/display_question.asp?question_id=89

Ok here I am at 9 ½ weeks post op. Today I asked my husband to put together some JPG’s and a real-time video of my facial animation (as per my surgeons request since he is out-of-state and wants to see visuals of my progress- not just anecdotal reports). I could not stand looking at these  :( and it is very painful   :o for me to view these. (And no I will not post these)

Currently I would grade my face as a 4.4 (maybe closer to a "5") on the House Brackmann Facial Nerve Grading Scale. Has anyone had this after surgery and actually had complete resolve of the Bell’s Palsy. If yes at what week, month, year did the signs start to show? At 4-5 weeks I accomplished the puckering of the lips and sucking from a straw- but nothing :(  has developed since then.

Signed

“4�

(4+ cm tumor removed at age 44, "HBFNGS" at 4.4 … today I am feeling that “4â€? is an unlucky number. I need my AN family  :'( today.)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: 4.4 of the House Brackmann Facial Nerve Grading Scale (HBFNGS)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 07:44:56 pm »
Hey 4 - having one of those days, huh? - I know, I get them too...   The good thing is that you ARE only 9 1/2 weeks out, & you know it can take a longer time than that for your facial nerve to regenerate....   but I know, it's tiring, the waiting & uncertainty...
Under AN issues (I forget the subject name) but it's recent & about the facial nerve,  Steve put in a site that also has the Brackman scale, & it describes what each # is pretty well, I bookmarked that page - don't know why, since I'm still at a 6....
I know you're tired of it already, & want to see better results - I don't know what to say but 'hang in there'.....
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 04:18:15 pm »
I really had no movement untill 13 months...  >:(   and at two+ years.. almost fully back ...I can smille! but but my lower lip has trouble openning for that big burger...  :D ....

at 9 weeks , sounds like your doing better... at 9 weeks I started work, and could bearly speak correctly..

Here I am at about 8 months...(I could not smile yet, but could still fish! )

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 04:25:10 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

1wareagle

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 07:19:44 pm »
"4"

I had no movement till the beginning of my 8th month. It started below my eye down to the corner of my mouth. At first I thought that my good side was pulling it when I tried to smile but as the days went by I was able to smile with my mouth closed. I still can't move my forehead, blink my eye or move the bottom part of my lip yet. I continue to do the facial exercises and can see small improvement each day.

At 9 weeks I was like you. Just hang in there and give it time!(that's what they tell me too!)

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 07:47:14 pm »
Great picture Jeof!

You have one side of my face smiling  :) this evening.

Thanks for sharing ... maybe I should just go on a fishing trip.   ;D

My absolute favorite fish is the “arctic char�. I once caught one in Cambridge Bay NWT (Now “Nunavut�) in Northern Canada …when I was a teen on an exchange program there.
http://www.cambridgebayhotel.com/cambridge-bay-nunavut.htm
At this time of year they are already wearing anoraks, parkas, mukluks toques and scarves- up there. Under all that gear no one would notice my face anyway. LOL :D

However  being almost November I might have to cut a hole in the ice … BRRRR

Do you know any good fishing holes in Oregon ...where it is a little milder climate here?

13 months  to 2+ years “huh?â€? (Canadians say “eh?â€? I seem to be losing it the longer I am down here)

SO that is why we are called patients.

Do you have a more recent photo?

(Sorry I am just not ready to show my face yet ... you are much braver than I)

“4�

(The ever so impatient patient)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 08:15:33 pm »
Ellis,

I see both you and Joef had Dr. Brackmann for your surgeries. I met him last June- he is such a nice man. He is the sort of man one would choose to be your kids’ grandfather. He had such a paternal way about him. I hope I am that spry at his age…

(9+ weeks post craniotomy with facial palsy I am not feeling so spry today   :-\ )

I am so glad you are both seeing resolve to your Bell’s Palsy… this is music to my ears (ok ok ear ‘singular’)

My tumor was very atypical and no one was definitely sure what the odd shaped thing was – especially since I had such good hearing. Dr Brackmann was very concerned that I was choosing the Retrosigmoid approach over the translab because of my facial nerve access and visibility. He seemed pretty certain that I had an acoustic neuroma but I did not want to do a translab “just in caseâ€? it was a meningioma tumor. I have yet to get back to  ole “Grandpa Brackmannâ€? to tell him he had the closet guess on the tumor pathology outcome- out of all the opinions I sought. Perhaps I am waiting for the Bell’s palsy to resolve before I  have the courage to tell him.

Thanks for posting back to me.

Joef

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 07:36:37 am »
Actually, I don't think I have any recent pictures.. I will see what I have ..

I took a driver license photo about 1 year after surgery .. talk about bad license  photo's :( .... ugg.... I should say I lost it and get another!  ;)

Jeanlea

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 10:36:31 am »
Hi 4,

After my surgery I had no movement at all.  My first tiny, tiny movement came after 3 months.  It was barely detectable, but I was really looking.  Now after just about 26 months I have a fairly decent smile.  I think it is still continuing to improve.  The ironic part is that my face really started to show improvement after I finally came to terms with the fact that I would be like that for the rest of my life.  :-)  My current picture is from September 2007.  (I didn't figure out how to put it in the message like Joe did.)

Jean
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 10:39:05 am by Jeanlea »
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Joef

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 10:56:06 am »
Hope you dont mind ..(I'll delete if you wish)

Jeanlea

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 12:31:34 pm »
Thanks Joe.  It should be big enough to see now.  lol  I'm still a work in progress.  I looked at a photo of me from a year ago and my smile is much better now.  So 4, you have to think in terms of months and years.  Ah yes, patience is so necessary.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 01:53:28 pm »
WOW Jean - NO DROOP & YOUR MOUTH TURNS UP!!!!    Looks like you & Joe are on the healing path....   I'm so happy for you both!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 04:18:20 pm »
Thanks NancyAnn.  I know your surgery for your face is coming up soon.  The actual date eludes me at the moment.  I'm sending you all my best wishes. 

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 04:29:21 pm »
You folks are AWESOME! ;D

Thanks for sharing :)

4 8)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 11:20:25 am »
UPDATE

3 months and 5 days (not that I am counting or anything  ::)) post surgery I got a 1.5 mm turn up in the palsy side of my mouth. Today I am at a 2mm turn-up and the crease in the face is starting to show. (i.e. tone is now evident) … it will be interesting to see how much it actually comes back. I have not lost the stick on eye weight – yet (such a fiddly high patience piece of jewelry it is)…

I feel like a little kid waiting for her new front tooth to come in…

“All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth� …make that “facial movement…�

So folks, “Yes healing and improvement does happen … slowly.�

I have not heard from Nancy in a while and I know she went in for facial surgery.
Has anyone heard from Nancy Ann since her facial surgery?
 I have certainly had her on my mind and in my prayers this past while.

marg

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 08:35:12 pm »
Hurray for facial movement   4  .  I am so glad for you that you are seeing some improvement.  It seems like every day I look in the mirror and my face is a bit different... the 2 (tiny) steps forward... and one step back dance.... but we will get there.  Here is hoping for a full smile again for all of us  ;D
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !