Author Topic: Will Insurance cover a Personal Trainer?  (Read 11579 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Will Insurance cover a Personal Trainer?
« on: October 24, 2007, 08:52:31 am »
I know, it's a weird question, but since my surgeries/radiation I've gained about 30 pounds and any personal trainer I go isn't really trained to work with someone who has balance/coordination issues. You should see me try to do a lunge. Anyway, I wondered if this type of thing could be considered physical therapy or anything along those lines? I know, the question is way out there, but it's worth asking? Thanks.

jerseygirl

Re: Will Insurance cover a Personal Trainer?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 09:07:17 am »
Muscottie,

My PT had me do lunges and I had balance/coordination problems. It was all considered as part of vestibular retraining which I have never heard about before my second surgery. You should shop around and find the PT who does vestibular retraining and who knows about coordination problems. It definitely helps until you can run again.

As for me, I finished with PT and desperately trying to run but I still have coordination problems although much smaller than before. Best of luck to  you!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:45:48 am »
Got out my exercise 'video tape' the other day - part of it was going into a lunge - I ended up lunging, then tilted right into the couch (glad it was there) - had a good laugh!!
seriously:  Some insurance compaies will now pay SOME toward yoga, massage, acupuncture, exercise, etc. - I'd check with your individual plan - ask them re: balance & exercise & if/what would they pay for a trainer - worth the asking!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:48:09 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 01:57:23 pm »
msuscottie:

A personal trainer to assist you with weight loss very likely wouldn't be covered under any standard-type medical insurance plan.  It all depends on the reason given for the trainer and the code used when their bill is submitted to your insurance company.  If you can include balance training with fitness/weight loss training and find a trainer who is capable of doing both and will submit their bill that way, you may have a shot.  Otherwise, no - unless you pay for a trainer out of your own pocket - or train yourself.    I agree with Nancyann on this one: you need to contact your insurance carrier and ask them what they'll pay for- and why.  If you can wade through and decipher the labyrinth of legalese in your policy language, that should tell you, too.  Good luck.

Jim. 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:14:21 am »
Scottie,

A friend of mine just got a sleep number bed because three doctor's decided that was the reason she was sleep deprived.  Once they did a sleep study and it was done a a sleep number bed she slept like a baby.  The doctor's wrote on her behalf to the insurance company and the insurance company paid!  My insurance company also uped my PT benefits to see if it would help my balance issues.  It didn't, but at least they were willing to try.  I would give it a try.  If they say no, try again and again.
Good luck.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 11:43:34 am »
Don't I wish.

If anyone makes a successful case of this cost to their insurance company, please let me know.

That's one bandwagon I want to jump onto.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways