Author Topic: Vestibular issue - Has anyone post surgery tried scuba diving?  (Read 3922 times)

snowowlsings@hotmail.com

Vestibular issue - Has anyone post surgery tried scuba diving?
« on: October 15, 2007, 11:49:46 am »
As I'm typing this I'm thinking that to anyone who has just had surgery, this question must sound insane.  I hope that I don't annoy anyone, and maybe I'll inspire some.

My surgery was in 2000 and aside from some hearing loss and balance issues I am doing great!  I wanted to challenge myself having pretty much been a couch potatoe since the surgery and decided to try scuba diving with a friend.  It seems that since I'm missing one of my vestibular nerves I'm having some added challenges in the pool (and they won't let me out in open water until I master that).

I'm not completely disoriented (also had a bit of challenge equalizing pressure in my head as I went down) but I can't seem to swim to where I think I am going.  I try to go straight up to the top but instead angle back 45 degrees.  Just as I veer to the right when I walk, I also tip over when trying to swim.  I'm wondering if anyone has any experience to share - and if anyone else has mastered something like this.

kippy6

Re: Vestibular issue - Has anyone post surgery tried scuba diving?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 08:39:29 pm »
Wow! I'm impressed. I hope someone has an answer on this. I'm glad you are doing something fun and testing your limits (within reason). I think it would do all of us ANer's some good to become a little more active. You are going the extra mile my friend!
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 08:58:25 pm »
HI,
  I posted this same question about a year ago and didn't find anyone who had tried scuba diving after AN surgery. There are many new poeple on the forum now, hopefuly someone will have an answer for us.  I go tothe Cancun area in Feb and would love to get out and try scuba again. I worry about the pressure in the head/ear. And being disoriented. I think I would want to be tied to the dive master if I tried it.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

tony

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 02:05:17 am »
I nearly managed to drown in about 5` of water
- I was really confused about which way was up
kind of important to know sometimes....
My point is : your old reference for direction
may no longer apply
My suggestion is you try some pool exercises
while someone else keeps an eye on you
to get used to the sensations/issues etc
Best Regards
Tony

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 12:32:41 pm »
I'D try the snorkling thing first--see how you do with equalizing and if you can get your bad ear to pop.  I keep trying to do that while I'm in the pool.  The lifeguard must think I'm nuts spending so much time hanging out at the bottom of the pool! Then I'd make sure that you kept the dive rather shallow--under 30-40 feet where there is plenty of light and maybe where you can still see the surface a bit to orient youself. Hey, It's your dive! I think you should take me with you just in case!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW