Author Topic: To self identify as disabled or not for new job  (Read 7267 times)

wanderer

To self identify as disabled or not for new job
« on: October 11, 2007, 09:31:29 am »
This is not a philosophical question but a totally practical question regarding identifying as a disabled person in employment.

I am deaf in one ear from translab a few years ago,  but perfect hearing in the other ear. This creates difficulties in certain situations, loud environments, or settings were I must converse with people on my left as many of you know.

Most people do not realize I am deaf, however I have a Baha implant in my skull , that people often ask questions about.

Other than the inconvenience of not always being able to understand people in the above situations when they are speaking, it really is not an issue.

Recently have received a job offer, and the form for self identification is now before me. While it's not likely I need any accommodation other than possibly where I sit in relation to others, I am wondering what do with this form.

Should I identify as disabled so that I never have an issue if I do require some kind of accommodation (louder head set or some such thing) or should I keep it to myself and try and revisit it if it does become an issue?

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: To self identify as disabled or not for new job
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:40:02 am »
I would definately identify now.  I say it is easy to go in with your cards on the table than to put them there later.  Just my opinion.

Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 12:09:50 pm »
I agree, working right now on an ADA accomodation because of the noisy environment and my trouble with speech discrimination with unilateral hearing, and if you don't identify it as a current condition, I'm wondering if that may inhibit what they may do to accomodate you if they need to later.  Don't know for sure.  I might just say "Unilateral Hearing with BAHA", because for me, part of the consideration of my new work area was which ear side was facing what way when they set up my office space, which didn't neccessarily have to do with ADA, but was a good way to explain why I need things a certain way. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 02:34:26 pm »
I agree with the others and would identify now.  I was just appointed on the town's Commission for Disability Issues and have come to realize that with all of my "issues", I can no longer deny the fact that I have these disabiling issues to content.  At my office, I do not use my cane (although I really need to) as my boss, a few years back, noted to me about not "bringing attention to myself from other co-workers".... and it's irked me terribly over the years.  Laws are in place to to make sure discrimination of those that are disabled (fully or partially) does not occur.  I now use my cane a bit more in front of co-workers and have come to terms with my issues.

wanderer, laws are on the books for our protection.  IMO, I would note it to them now, to make sure necessary arrangements are made to accommodate you (as with gennymom's/Kathleen) and hoping they see that as long as the job performance is on the money, then your partial hearing loss should not be of hinderance.

Sorry, I had coffee and sugar this afternoon.... hope this makes sense.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 08:19:48 am »
I took a part time teaching job this fall and I have not told anyone about my ssd. Why? I'm not sure. I was planning on telling the principal but opportunity never presented itself and truthfully, I forgot. I did list on my personal info form that I wear a BAHA. I guess I don't see myself as a person with a disability.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 04:53:07 pm »
It is easier to self identify now than to try to gain accomodations later.
Disclosing should only be done after you have the job, never before.
What type of job did you get? Is it one where you'll need your desk placed a certain way, special headphone for the phone, certain chair to accomodat any back issues from balance problems?
Please let us know how things work out.

M

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 09:41:50 pm »
IDENTIFY!!! We've all been through so much-it is nice to get a little help now and then from the various schools, employers, etc. even the library won't ever charge you late fees if you identify!

Yvette
p.s. Just got my disabled parking permit!
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 10:04:25 pm »
I agree w/ all the others -- I would definitely say something now.  It is so much better to be up front and open. I had surgery 12 years ago and have never had anything to help with the SSD.  I just always make sure others know.  I was just at a meeting for my daughter's new club basketball team (I will spending a LOT of time with these people) & volunteered to be the "Team Mom" so I will have to work closely with all the other parents -- I told them just so I wouldn't appear rude or as if I were ignoring them.  If I tell them, I would certainly communicate it in a job situation that I am at everyday!!  If I were telling a boss I would say something like, "It doesn't really ever interfer w/ my work but just so you will know..."
Good Luck!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 07:10:01 am »
I've been thinking a lot about things like this... as I'm not happy with my job.. and even placed a call to my head hunter Friday...

I wish my facial issues would clear up a little more before an interview! ... should I wear the BAHA on an interview? I guess I should... I'm not vane, I wear it on the train every day and dont give it a secound thought, as I dont care want people are thinking ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 05:08:37 pm »
wanderer:

I'll add my 'voice' to the chorus that advises you to self-identify on a job application as being 'disabled' but I would make it clear that the SSD is really more of a handicap than a disability.  You are not deaf in a legal sense, just as someone with the use of only one eye is not legally blind.  However, the SSD can be an impediment and that should be acknowledged to the potential employer, upfront.  Should your hearing become some sort of problem down the road, the fact that you never told your employer about it could be grounds for dismissal or at the least, harm your chances for future advancement. 

To my knowledge, the only way a potential employer can use your honesty to reject your application is if the position you apply for directly involves excellent hearing as a necessary requirement of the job,.  Few jobs have such a distinct requirement, although you may require some 'accommodation', as other posters noted.  That could make you less attractive as a potential employee but the law is supposed to protect us from such discrimination.  However, realistically, unless you are extremely qualified, far above every other applicant, it can be difficult to prove employer bias if you are not chosen for the job.  They can use other reasons for not hiring you and claim your SSD had absolutely nothing to do with it.  Still, your honesty and integrity should compel you to mention your SSD on a job application...with an explanation.  I hope you get the job!  :)

Jim   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:37:34 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 07:20:20 am »
Wanderer,
  I have to disagree with most of the other notes above.  Working can be a competitive environment.  And there will always be a few, hopefully very few, that will think that "disability" means that the person can not perform up to the level of a "normal" person.  I would never give an employer a reason or excuse to view my skill sets as anything but top notch.
  In your particular case, your BAHA helps ameliorate SSD, and probably puts you well with in the normal range of hearing.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Derek

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 10:17:54 am »
I have had SSD on my affected right side since diagnosis some 6 years ago. I consider myself to have a medical condition which is being monitored and albeit it can be a disadvantage in certain situations, I refuse to accept that I am disabled. Indeed after 6 years in the 'watch & wait' mode the only people who are aware of my AN is my immediate family. I chose not to make my friends, associates and those in my work environment aware of my condition and upon reflection it was the right decision for me, the reason being that I do not want to be treated any differently if I can possibly avoid it and that includes not advertising my SSD via the wearing of a device such as the BAHA. Just my personal choice on the matter albeit I fully accept and support the rationale of those who take the alternative overt perspective.

If the job description does not specifically require unimpaired hearing at the application stage I personally would not disclose the aspect of SSD if it is not a requirement for the post being applied for. Competition in the employment 'market place' is usually very fierce therefore I would not unnecessarily prejudice the opportunity of a career advancement.

Regards

Derek
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:14:56 pm by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.