Author Topic: 1st AN, 2nd Meniere's Dx 3rd Melanoma  (Read 2636 times)

jaysnas

1st AN, 2nd Meniere's Dx 3rd Melanoma
« on: October 10, 2007, 04:52:10 pm »
My husband was diagnosed and treated in 1998 with AN on the left side. His treatment was Stereotactic Radiation. Pretty much total hearing loss now on left side. A few years later, he was diagnosed with Hydrops Disease which is basically A-typical Meniere's Disease. And finally, last year 2006- he was diagnosed with malignent Melanoma. I am wondering if anyone else has had so many other issues/diseases, as well. The melanoma was excised; 4"x2" section removed from his back. Clark's level III (levels are I-V). This makes us wonder if he has something else going on or just a bit of bad luck. Well, I should say good luck. Each problem seems to be 'found' and treat just in the nick of time...
My husband is the patient...I am the activist
Stereotactic Radiosurgery 1998
Halifax Medical Center-Daytona Beach, Florida

kippy6

Re: 1st AN, 2nd Meniere's Dx 3rd Melanoma
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 05:26:07 am »
There are 2 kinds of stress hormones in your body. Cortisol and Prolactin. When a CBC of your blood is taken, these are actual categories that come back on the report, so the levels can be measured. One article (see link below) indicates that if your cortisol level is elevated for a long period of time, then you can get AN (acoustic neuroma). If your prolactin level is elevated for a long time, then you can get Menieres.

In addition, if stress continues, and the stress hormone level is elevated for an extended period of time, it starts to affect the hippocampus in your brain, which is responsible for memory, learning, and emotion (interestingly enough, it is under the temporal lobes). Under these kind of continued stress, the hippocampus starts to shrink. I've read in patients with Alzheimer's the hippocampus is affected "first and severely." See the two links below:

--- "Stress hormones in Ménière's disease and acoustic neuroma" --  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6SYT-4G1G942-1&_user=10&_coverDate=07%2F15%2F2005&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=6d73496255684b02c6ded7eb3fb927d4

--- interesting article on "hippocampus"  --  http://www.psycheducation.org/emotion/hippocampus.htm

I don't know about the melanoma aspect of this, but I pray that your husband gets some relief very soon.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 08:46:46 pm by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

June

Re: 1st AN, 2nd Meniere's Dx 3rd Melanoma
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 08:59:37 pm »
I had a melanoma clark level 3 (later read as in situ) removed from my back in 1990,  an AN removed  (middle fossa surgery - total deafness in operated ear but otherwise very good outcome) in '97, and was diagnosed with Cochlear Hydrops in the non operatated ear this summer.

I wish I knew ...