Author Topic: CPR certification and facial paralysis  (Read 3345 times)

Pembo

CPR certification and facial paralysis
« on: October 08, 2007, 10:37:42 am »
To get my special ed license I have to be CPR certified. It dawned on me the other day there is NO WAY I can make a seal with my mouth to do rescue breathing. I can't even blow up a balloon or blow out a birthday candle.   
I hope I don't actually have to inflate that Annie doll or I'll flunk for sure. Good thing my friend is the CPR
instructor.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Cheryl R

Re: CPR certification and facial paralysis
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 11:18:37 am »
Same problem here.     I was allowed  to pass in spite of not being able to do the airway part.   I was nervous that they would not and then  I would not be allowed to work as a nurse.    In a code situitation though we get alot of staff responding pretty fast.                  I also can not wear one type of face mask if we would ever have a TB pt as have to get a very close fit.
   Pembo,how far are you from Cleveland?      I visited a friend there in August.   She was on the west side and we do go visit an area of shops on the east side at Lyndhorst.
   I also have been to the Newark-Zanesville-Dresden area in the past and on up to Holmes co.
I would love to go back.                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 12:03:50 pm »
Cheryl, I'm on the westside of Cleveland.  Glad to know I'm not alone in the CPR thing.

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 02:37:50 pm »
I haven't been a floor nurse for 10 years now.  I had gotten a note from my dr. to excuse me from performing CPR 2 years ago due to severe back problems.  I now do not have to do 'hurricane duty'  since the AN surgery.  I'm sure I would have gotten a note to excuse me from CPR after the AN surgery had I not already been excused.   I luckily have a desk job, only go to the units for clinical info.  Like Cheryl said, there are enough 'physically fit' staff to do these things where I work.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis